DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th November 2008
Port Guard

Default Problem loading (the correct) libX11.so.6

Hey all,

my first post here, and my first stab at BSD actually.

I've just installed FreeBSD 7.0 onto a box I'm planning to use as a game server. Everything went fine during install. I chose a pretty clean setup, but included X since I knew my game server needed some libraries from it. I also included support for linux binaries.

Now to my problem: I installed an Unreal Torunament server and when I tried to fire it up I got this error message:

Code:
error while loading shared libraries: /usr/local/lib/libX11.so.6: ELF file OS ABI invalid
After some looking around on the Internet I found out it seems to be loading the libX11.so.6 file located in /usr/local/lib instead of /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6. Since I'm not using X, I just replaced the file in /usr/local/lib:

Code:
mv /usr/local/lib/libX11.so.6 /usr/local/lib/libX11.so.6.old
cp /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 /usr/local/lib/
That solved the problem. I then got the same error for libXext.so.6, so I did the same thing once more:

Code:
mv /usr/local/lib/libXext.so.6 /usr/local/lib/libXext.so.6.old
cp /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 /usr/local/lib/
After that everything works fine and the server started with no errors. Since this is not a "pretty" solution, I thought I'd ask for some help here. Is there any other way of letting the server know which file to use? After all, I'll never know when I'll be needing that original file in /usr/local/lib/.

Thanks in advance!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th November 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I would suggest restoring those libraries back to their original and try and force your application to use the Linux Libraries instead. Have you looked at the command 'brandelf'? This allows you to force an application to use the Linux libraries instead.
# brandelf -t Linux <Unreal Torunament server binary>

Also there is a native unreal tournament server for FreeBSD which maybe worth checking out, you can install that with the following command:
# pkg_add -r utserver
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th November 2008
Port Guard

Thanks for your suggestions. I wasn't aware of any of them. I'll check out brandelf first, and if that doesn't work I'll try the package.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th November 2008
Port Guard

Just wanted to let you know it's up and running now. I eventually installed from ports since I couldn't find the package in the 7.0 release (it appears in 6.x and 7.1).

Thanks for your help!