DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th July 2008
New User

Default FreeBSD 7.0, tightvnc and jdk16 - newbie

Am getting back into learning FreeBSD. The last time I used it was learning 5.4 and had a hard time finding all the little nuances needed to make ports work right. Needless to say, I was forced to keep using M$ server products.

I don't have a problem working in the shell, Unix is fairly easy, it's understanding the ins and outs of certain ports quickly enough to be an effective FreeBSD admin. Well two years have passed and I'm in the same boat ... Instead of stubbornly trying to figure it out myself, now I'm looking for help.

I installed FreeBSD 7.0 and because of the physical location of the server, I need to run a VNC package compatible with my workstation which is XP pro. (I use blackbox as my window manager) I tried to install tightvnc but it's dependant on jdk16. When trying to install jdk16 using "make install" in the /usr/ports/java/jdk16/ directory, it wants a couple of files put in the distfiles directory.

I've managed to acquire all but the dreaded "tzupdater-1_3_0-2007h.zip" (I've downloaded the latest updater from sun, 1_3_5 but it doesn't work)

I've updated my ports using "portmanager -u", but the java and diablo-java were the only ones not to update.

Please reply if you have STRONG advice to give on how to get this working. I've been to every forum that shows up on google and no one has yet described the procedure, only that they eventually got it working.

Thanks in advance ... "frustrated ~Rich"
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th July 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Update your ports tree ("portsnap fetch; portsnap update" (or "portsnap extract" if it is the first time you have run it) ). jdk has been updated to the latest tzfile recently.

Java is an optional dependency in tightvns. Run "make showconfig" in /usr/ports/net/tightvnc and turn off the java veiwer, and it will not need java.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th July 2008
New User

Default THANK YOU!!!

I've been beating myself up for two days and within the 15 seconds it took for me to read your reply, I had the answer! Thanks!

On a side note, the jdk16 install is stopping cause some security dependancies are out of date. When I "make deinstall" to "make reinstall" those ports, they show filezilla as a program dependant on them.

Are the stops in the jdk16 install because I installed filezilla? If I hadn't installed it, would the jdk16 have installed without issue?

Thanks for the help - you're a lifesaver! ~Rich
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th July 2008
VPN Cryptographer

I wouldn't have thought so. filezilla seems to just be another ftp client, although It (directly or indirectly) requires a fair swag of gnu support libraries.

Tell us what "security dependencies" are mentioned as being out-of-date, and we should be able to help. (Oh, the actual error messages, please: It is not to much to attach a full script of the build attempt -
Code:
/usr/ports/java/jdk16$> script ~/javabuild.20080707
/usr/ports/java/jdk16$> make

=== Make runs, and either succeeds or fails ===
/usr/ports/java/jdk16$> ^D (that's <control>-d )
That will create a file (javabuild.20080707) in your home directory that you can attach to a post here, so we no longer have to guess what is going on.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2008
New User

Well I have it installed already ... I was just getting an error that an older version of the port was already installed and the jdk16 install wouldn't go any further till that dependancy was updated.

So I went to the offending directory and did a make deinstall then a make reinstall as instructed, then went back to the jdk16 directory and did a make reinstall. easy. the toughest part of the whole thing was downloading the file for diablo! thank you, thank you, thank you!

still want me to generate that log? would it still work now that I have java installed? ~Rich

btw, know anything about startup scripts? am havin a very very very hard time getting tightvnc to automatically start on boot...
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2008
Spam Deminer

For the future, install portmaster from ports. This will physically update installed ports. "portsnap update" or "make update" (if you have variables defined in make.conf) in the /usr/ports directory will sync the ports tree. You need to then run portmaster or an equivalent program to update installed ports.