DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2010
New User

Default Urtw driver compatibility question

So I 've been using Linux for a while, and I really wanted to check out OpenBSD, if nothing else than for the fact that the documentation seems SO much better than any linux distribution I've yet encountered. However, at this point it seems my Realtek wireless card (unquestionably necessary) isn't quite compatible with urtw driver, but I just wanted to make sure that I was doing something stupid (not unlikely), before I gave up on this venture.

I have a fresh install, using all the default settings. I did not configure any network settings on the install save for setting my hostname. From what I have read of the documentation, and feel free to correct me on this, I should only need to create a "hostname.urtw0" if I my network to set up on boot (which I don't), and dhclient should work without me having to configure dhclient.conf (or whatever it is called). So, if I read everything correctly, to connect to my access point all I should have to do is issue the following set of commands during run-time:

ifconfig urtw0 up
ifconfig urtw0 nwid [my ssid] nwkey [wep key]
dhclient urtw0

However, this always results in, after issuing the dhclient command, an output of something like:
DHCLIENT probing on port 67 interval [number]
No DHCPOFFERS available

Not the exact message, but the port 67 portion is correct (I will gladly post the exact message if needed, but I'm working from memory right now, running a LiveCD on my system to make this post). The first portion of the message repeats several times before finally timing out, then the second part appears.

Finally, with only having a basic understanding of my card, the driver, OpenBSD, etc., some oddities and information that may be helpful (things that make me suspicious of a compatibility issue):

The driver will only allow me to use 11b mode, despite the fact that I have an 11b/g card
I can only seem to use IPv6, and get an error about 'inet' (again, I will post the exact message, if needed) when I try to issue the command 'ifconfig urtw0 -inet6 inet'
Despite all of this, I can still pick up surround networks using 'ifconfig urtw0 scan' (which makes me question my assumption of this being a compatibility issue)

Hopefully, I'm just missing something blatantly obvious in in my reading, and can get this working . Any help is appreciated!