DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th June 2018
Shell Scout

Default OpenBSD FVWM icon size

deleted

Last edited by Prevet; 2nd December 2022 at 03:57 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th June 2018
More noise than signal

Googling for nothing more than fvwm icon size I found this guidance as the first hit.
Quote:
Force icon size and background

The sizing of icons is not regular as different programs provide icons of differing sizes. Use the IconSize style to force a regular size: Style "*" IconSize 48 48 for instance. Note that icons larger than the given size will be clipped.

By default, icons also have no background. You can use the IconBackgroundColorset style to force icons to have a background....
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th June 2018
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

If you want bigger icons just use bigger icons.

The dark grey slab is a 200x200 pixel test icon I just created:
Name:  test.png
Views: 437
Size:  4.5 KB

For reference: my IconFont is 10point.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th June 2018
Package Pilot

If you mean having fvwm scale icons based upon your resolution, I very much doubt that is possible. But you can force icons to specific programs, for examples I have this for gvim:

Code:
Style "Gvim" Icon vim.xpm
and vim.xpm is 61x62 in size. You can use convert(1) from ImageMagick to increase/decrease size and force the use in ~/.fvwmrc

I got most of the xpm files from 3dpixmaps, which you can search for. Or you can convert some png/jpg icons to xpm files via convert(1).
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th June 2018
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prevet View Post
Thanks for helping everyone.

An example of the problem I am having is the xconsole icon has a picture of a computer + the text "xconsole" under it. If I increase the size of the font, the picture of the little computer icon remains the same size, which is fine, but all I see of the text under the icon's picture is "xcon".
That's because the icon label field is wrapped to the icon's width. This behaviour actually makes sense if you consider a browser window that has a very long title set by the webpage. For instance, the window I'm typing this message in is titled "DaemonForums - Reply to Topic - Mozilla Firefox". Now imagine that as a constant fully sized icon label below a very small icon. Of course, the larger the font you use, the less text will be visible if you have a small icon.

You will see the whole text if you move the mouse pointer somewhere over the icon. The text label should pop out and display the whole text.

Disclaimer: my own experience only relates to the fvwm version that is in OpenBSD's base install. That is fvwm 2.2.5 with only the non-GPLed modules, I think. The latest fvwm 2.6.5 from the ports collection quite possibly may have different behaviour or other improvements.
Speaking of which, the 'IconSize' Style option must've been a later addition, post fvwm 2.2.5 because it doesn't show up in the manpage. So it won't work with the fvwm that's bundled in OpenBSD. If you're using that, it's best to always check fvwm(1) before trying to apply something you might've seen on the internet. Most examples you'll find will assume you're running a more modern version of fvwm.