DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2016
Sam98

Unhappy Compiling message: "write failed, file system is full"?

Well, this is a long story. I started trying to install Java for OpenBSD 5.9 (i386), needed for I2P.

I tried with packages, jde and jdk. They were installed fine. But, when I did put:

Quote:
# java
(Watch this video).

It didn't work

Well, the last option I tried: ports.

When I tried to # make Java, I didn't finish well (full file system?).

Well, I probed with midori (on ports), just for know if it was a singular or a general problem.

Yes, it was general: full file system. It says:

Quote:
/usr: write failed, file system is full
install: /usr/ports/pobj/midori-0.5.11/bin/install: No space left on device
*** Error 1 in . (/usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk:2573 '/usr/ports/pobj/midori-0.5.11/.extract_started': @install -m 755 /usr/ports...)
*** Error 1 in /usr/ports/www/midori (/usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk:2495 'all')
What can I do? Can this be fixed? Is this a normal issue?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2016
More noise than signal

It's a very "normal" issue if you try to build the Java packages from ports, because the default /usr partition is not large enough for the task. Building Java from source code is resource-intensive, particularly of storage. You would need to add partitions or restructure your disk layout to build large ports like Java.

NOTE: Building ports creates the same packages you have already installed, so building these from ports is not adding any value for you.

You may delete the working directories under /usr/ports/pobj/, which house your partial Java build. That will free up space in /usr immediately.

----

When you install jre, the binary "java" and other binary executables are placed in their own directory structure, which is not in your $PATH.

Try the following command.

$ pkg_info -L jre | grep bin/java

The pkg_info(1) -L option asks for a list of the files installed by the package. The output is piped to grep(1), which filters for bin/java. You should see two files, one for each version of jre available with OpenBSD 5.9.

That location must be added to your $PATH, or else you must use the full path to the executable.

---

I couldn't watch that video. I did not have the patience to watch someone slowly typing.

Please note: You are using a third party "how-to" which is specific to a version of this OS which is no longer supported.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureo View Post
I tried with packages, jde and jdk. They were installed fine.

It didn't work
This is the correct behavior as installation does not set the commonly set environment variables:

http://www.coderanch.com/t/600047/ja...-HOME-JRE-HOME

As a bare minimum, you need to determine where java & javac are located. Variations of the following command will be your friend:

$ find / -name java -print
Quote:
Well, the last option I tried: ports
Resorting to compiling is not as simple as you state. The very first thing you should do when contemplating compilation is to study how the ports tree is configured. You should study Section 15 of the official FAQ thoroughly before starting.

Lastly, please post all ports questions in the correct subforum.

Last edited by ocicat; 15th July 2016 at 11:24 PM. Reason: correct spelling
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2016
Spam Deminer

I didn't know about tanukiwrapper. I'll have to try that. I use a modified runplain.sh and run i2p in a chroot.

You're also going to want to build libjbigi. It's a lot faster.
https://geti2p.net/en/misc/jbigi
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2016
Sam98

Hi! Thanks for your help! I thought that was normal, but I do that part of the question because there are new users in OpenBSD.

I get into >

Quote:
# thunar /usr/ports/pobj/
And there were this directories:

· asm-3.3.1

· gmake-4.1

· groff-1.22.3

· jdk-1.7.0.80

· locks

· midori-0.5.11

I deleted “midori-0.5.11” and “jdk-1.7.0.80”. Should I delete all of them? Or some more than I did? Is “locks” an untouchable directory? What happen if I delete it?

Look:

Quote:
$ pkg_info -L jre | grep bin/java
/usr/local/jre-1.7.0/bin/java
/usr/local/jre-1.8.0/bin/java
Should I delete “/jre-1.7.0/bin/java” and “/jre-1.8.0/bin/java”?

When I tried to execute “java -jar i2pinstall_0.9.26.jar” or “java -jar i2pinstall_0.9.26.jar -console” to install I2P, it didn't work. It says: "ksh: java: not found".

Take a look here, please.

How do I move the "ports/compiling" place to another directory outside of /usr/.

Would it work if I just move /usr/ports/ to /home (for example)? Like: /home/ports

I don't know how to resize /usr/, but I think that is not a convenient idea.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2016
Spam Deminer

Quote:
When I tried to execute “java -jar i2pinstall_0.9.26.jar” or “java -jar i2pinstall_0.9.26.jar -console” to install I2P, it didn't work. It says: "ksh: java: not found".
You need to specify the full path to java.
/usr/local/bin/jre-1.8.0/bin/java -jar i2pinstall_0.9.26.jar
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2016
More noise than signal

Quote:
Should I delete all of them?
You certainly can. These port directories are several of the 69 build dependencies of jdk 1.8. That's the number. 69 different packages must be installed, and that can mean built and installed, before you can start to build jdk and jre 1.8.
Quote:
Is “locks” an untouchable directory?
No, you may delete it. It is used to prevent multiple builds of the same package when conducting concurrent bulk builds.
Quote:
Should I delete “/jre-1.7.0/bin/java” and “/jre-1.8.0/bin/java”?
No. As I'd noted in my first reply above, you have already installed jre, and these files are part of the installed packages.
Quote:
I'll repeat what I said above about $PATH, and try to add clarity.

When you issue the shell command:

$ echo $PATH

a string will appear, which is the contents of your $PATH environment variable.

That string contains a list, in order, of the directories the shell will search for executable files if you type the name of a program without a complete path. For example, if you type the ls(1) command:

$ ls

your shell will use your $PATH variable, and it will find the ls(1) program in the /bin directory.

You could also type the command this way, with the directory named, and if you do so the $PATH variable will not be used:

$ /bin/ls

If you want to run the java program from jre 1.8, here are two ways:

$ /usr/local/jre-1.8.0/bin/java ...

If you add /usr/local/jre-1.8.0/bin to your $PATH variable, you could then use:

$ java ...

See your .profile file in your user's home directory, where $PATH variables are commonly set.
Quote:
How do I move the "ports/compiling" place to another directory outside of /usr/.
Most users who build ports find that they need to add a new partition from unallocated disk space for /usr/ports, or for the working object directory, /usr/ports/pobj. To do so requires you have unallocated space, and this is is beyond the scope of a thread focused on getting your shell to search for and find the java executables you already have installed.

Quote:
Would it work if I just move /usr/ports/ to /home (for example)? Like: /home/ports
It is possible but it is not recommended by the Project, and I would not recommend it either. The ports tree toolchain would require environment variable changes, and right now you are having difficulty with a single variable for a user. $PATH.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureo;59233Should I delete all of them? Or some more than I did? Is “[B
locks[/B]” an untouchable directory? What happen if I delete it?
Nureo, since we are not there, we can only go from what you post, & we don't have sufficient information to answer all of your questions.

First of all, if you have been able to successfully install either devel/jdk/1.7, or devel/jdk/1.8 from a mirror site, I don't see the point of trying to build the corresponding port. If you are concerned about the inability to execute the java binary mentioned earlier, it is unclear whether you have done anything to find its location. Building a local port of the same package is not going to change this situation.
Quote:
...as we had already determined from earlier information. Unless you minimally modify the path set in ~/.profile, or supply all information in the command issued, you will get the error stated above. Depending upon what library classes are required, you will need to also set CLASS_PATH & possibly other environment variables I discussed earlier. It is unclear whether you have figured out what the values needed should be, nor setting them such that the Java environment knows where all necessary parts are located.
Quote:

Quote:
I don't know how to resize /usr/, but I think that is not a convenient idea.
To resize a partition, study the growfs(8) manpage, but this is dependent upon have empty space which is adjacent to the partition you wish to enlarge. My suspicion is that you have insufficient space allocated in several partitions. Depending upon how large your hard drive is, you may not have sufficient space to be building ports, but I don't know what is the size of your hard drive. I suspect you need to reinstall OpenBSD altogether in order to resize several partitions correctly, but I question if this really is the most important set of tasks you should be pursuing at this point.

Here are my recommendations:
  • Stop trying to build either the devel/jdk/1.7 & devel/jdk/1.8 ports for now. It appears that you are new to OpenBSD, compiling, port building, & there are a lot of things in which you need familiarity to proceed. Again, study Section 15 of the FAQ before proceeding down this path.
  • It sounds like you already have the JDK package installed from a mirror. Finish configuring java as I described before.
Fundamentally, you are asking us for support to build & configure an application which has not previously been officially ported to OpenBSD. As you can already see, there are a lot of issues you are running into where it is unclear whether we really understand what you are doing, nor whether our comments are really being helpful to you. As you can already see, we can each spend a lot of time going back & forth, & it is unclear whether this is currently productive.

While building this application may legitimately be a worthy goal for you, maybe you should be building your skill set in OpenBSD, understanding how the different pieces fit together, first. Smaller steps may be in order.

Last edited by ocicat; 16th July 2016 at 04:45 AM. Reason: correct grammar...
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2016
Sam98

Thumbs up

Hello guys. Well, certainly, thanks for all your answers. I really appreciate your time and your dedication.

Please, remember that my first language is not english, so, I can read the man pages and the FAQ, but is normal that some details can't be noted for me. Also, I must say that english is not the most precise language in this world, and also some developers are not good redactors. I mean, is not for speak bad about OpenBSD and the developer team, is just a fact: there are a lot of people who has problems like I had in this issue, and man pages don't always offer precise answers for that.

I really like OpenBSD, so I will ask some things that maybe for you can sound stupid. Sorry, is not my intention to bored you.

In my country we are in a serious danger, so, some people is using more secure systems. I need time to learn. Here expression mediums are being censured (TV, internet, etc.), we have a government who is torturing political prisoners, and there are many forms of political persecution (special programs for spy people).

I will answer by parts:

To TronDD, about “You need to specify the full path to java. /usr/local/bin/jre-1.8.0/bin/java -jar i2pinstall_0.9.26.jar

Thanks, I didn't know that. I suppose that Java will have an automatic “user” configuration.

To jggimi, about “You certainly can. These port directories are several of the 69 build dependencies of jdk 1.8. That's the number. 69 different packages must be installed, and that can mean built and installed, before you can start to build jdk and jre 1.8.

Perfect, I will delete them.

About “No, you may delete it. It is used to prevent multiple builds of the same package when conducting concurrent bulk builds.

Well, I prefer to preserve it then.

About “I'll repeat what I said above about $PATH, and try to add clarity.

When you issue the shell command:

$ echo $PATH

a string will appear, which is the contents of your $PATH environment variable.

That string contains a list, in order, of the directories the shell will search for executable files if you type the name of a program without a complete path. For example, if you type the ls(1) command:

$ ls

your shell will use your $PATH variable, and it will find the ls(1) program in the /bin directory.

You could also type the command this way, with the directory named, and if you do so the $PATH variable will not be used:

$ /bin/ls

If you want to run the java program from jre 1.8, here are two ways:

$ /usr/local/jre-1.8.0/bin/java ...

If you add /usr/local/jre-1.8.0/bin to your $PATH variable, you could then use:

$ java ...

See your .profile file in your user's home directory, where $PATH variables are commonly set.

Thanks a lot for that! Really helpful!

About “Most users who build ports find that they need to add a new partition from unallocated disk space for /usr/ports, or for the working object directory, /usr/ports/pobj. To do so requires you have unallocated space, and this is is beyond the scope of a thread focused on getting your shell to search for and find the java executables you already have installed.Most users who build ports find that they need to add a new partition from unallocated disk space for /usr/ports, or for the working object directory, /usr/ports/pobj. To do so requires you have unallocated space, and this is is beyond the scope of a thread focused on getting your shell to search for and find the java executables you already have installed.

Well, I will think if I take the risk. Thank you!

To ocicat, about “Nureo, since we are not there, we can only go from what you post, & we don't have sufficient information to answer all of your questions.

Sorry about the long list of questions. That is why I copied all I saw in the directory. But don't worry, it gaves a good result: “No, you may delete it. It is used to prevent multiple builds of the same package when conducting concurrent bulk builds.” (by jggimi)

About “First of all, if you have been able to successfully install either devel/jdk/1.7, or devel/jdk/1.8 from a mirror site, I don't see the point of trying to build the corresponding port. If you are concerned about the inability to execute the java binary mentioned earlier, it is unclear whether you have done anything to find its location. Building a local port of the same package is not going to change this situation.

That is because I saw in some places that i386 architecture has problems with some prebuild packages. Example: I found an answer about some user who has a problem with a prebuild package, and other user recommend him to build it from ports. So, I just try from ports because I saw that “Java” command didn't work.

I suppose it was because a configuration problem, or some dependencies uncompleted. If I would tried with ports I will have dependencies covered with the port configuration. Am I being clear? Do I?

About “..as we had already determined from earlier information. Unless you minimally modify the path set in ~/.profile, or supply all information in the command issued, you will get the error stated above. Depending upon what library classes are required, you will need to also set CLASS_PATH & possibly other environment variables I discussed earlier. It is unclear whether you have figured out what the values needed should be, nor setting them such that the Java environment knows where all necessary parts are located.

Again, but for you this time. I didn't know that the prebuild package will not be configured to work instantaneously. Also I saw this video (like an orientation), and there was not a “PATH moment”. Also the I2P page was not of help at all.

About “To resize a partition, study the growfs(8) manpage, but this is dependent upon have empty space which is adjacent to the partition you wish to enlarge. My suspicion is that you have insufficient space allocated in several partitions. Depending upon how large your hard drive is, you may not have sufficient space to be building ports, but I don't know what is the size of your hard drive. I suspect you need to reinstall OpenBSD altogether in order to resize several partitions correctly, but I question if this really is the most important set of tasks you should be pursuing at this point.

Well, I hope not need to reinstall OpenBSD again. When I used the Installer, I did choose “Auto layout”.

About “Here are my recommendations:

- Stop trying to build either the devel/jdk/1.7 & devel/jdk/1.8 ports for now. It appears that you are new to OpenBSD, compiling, port building, & there are a lot of things in which you need familiarity to proceed. Again, study Section 15 of the FAQ before proceeding down this path.

- It sounds like you already have the JDK package installed from a mirror. Finish configuring java as I described before.

Ok. Thanks, I wont. I just will do the PATH.

About “Fundamentally, you are asking us for support to build & configure an application which has not previously been officially ported to OpenBSD. As you can already see, there are a lot of issues you are running into where it is unclear whether we really understand what you are doing, nor whether our comments are really being helpful to you. As you can already see, we can each spend a lot of time going back & forth, & it is unclear whether this is currently productive.

It is true on I2P, not about Java. But the fundamental problem was in Java. Thanks any way. You was really helpful!

About “While building this application may legitimately be a worthy goal for you, maybe you should be building your skill set in OpenBSD, understanding how the different pieces fit together, first. Smaller steps may be in order.

Thanks for the advice. I will take it, and I will be prepared for ask you about potential problems! You always are one on the first in response! I really appreciate that ocicat.

Thank you all! I will give you an answer with my results!

Last edited by Nureo; 16th July 2016 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Bad writed word.
Old 16th July 2016
ISO Quartermaster

I don't know if OpenBSD is so a secure system for someone new to Unix-like systems and configuring daemons and need to do something fast and needs various programs not found in base OpenBSD system. Unfortunately OpenBSD does not provide binary updates and security is a process, so one must update constantly because all usable systems (Windows, Gnu/Linux, Android, OS X, OpenBSD etc) have security vulnerabilities.
For professionals or people just wanting to be power users OpenBSD is really good, but if somebody is new and don't have time to learn and maintain I would go for binary Gnu/Linux distro like Debian stable, because it is less time consuming to maintain. Note that even in Debian you need to learn a few things, not type something blind on keyboard or blindly copy-paste from unofficial Internet source and maintain system and do backups etc.
Note that for people using Tor there is a Tails operating system (Gnu/Linux distro), but it is designed to be run as LiveCD, so it is not so good for all use cases.
Anyway I was able to execute I2P on OpenBSD. You should note that I don't use I2P on daily basis, so I don't have much experience.
# is a sign that command is to be launched by root user and $ by normal user.
I have that package:
Code:
# pkg_info | grep jre                                                          
jre-1.8.0.72p0v0    OpenJDK Runtime Environment v1.8.0.72
It was installed by
Code:
# pkg_add jre-1.8.0.72p0v0
I have found binary of Java via command:
Code:
# find /usr/local/  | grep -i -e \/java$ -e \/javac$ 1>/wyniki_java.txt
which saves output to file /wyniki_java.txt. File can be printed on screen by:
Code:
# cat /wyniki_java.txt  
/usr/local/include/google/protobuf/compiler/java
/usr/local/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-openbsd6.0/4.9.3/plugin/include/java
/usr/local/jre-1.8.0/bin/java
Based on the general knowledge I know that only last line is useful and directory should be added to PATH environment variable. For adding for this terminal session (temporary, not permanent):
Code:
$ export PATH="/usr/local/jre-1.8.0/bin/:${PATH}"
TO check if binary is now accessible by command java I typed:
Code:
$ java -version
and this printed me information about version.
Now about executing I2P's installer.
I have downloaded installer for Gnu/Linux which is a jar file I should check by checksum and signing keys if it was not modified during downloading, but I didn't do that.
In terminal I have gone to directory where I downloaded file.
Code:
cd /path/where/i/downloaded/jar/
To make sure I am where file is present I used ls command:
Code:
$ ls
i2pinstall_0.9.26.jar
To install in GUI mode:
Code:
$ java -jar i2pinstall_0.9.26.jar
to install in command line mode:
Code:
$ java -jar i2pinstall_0.9.26.jar -console
I have installed in i2p directory inside Home directory of my user account. To run one need to go to directory where i2p was installed. In my case:
Code:
$ cd ${HOME}/i2p
and issue command:
Code:
$ runplain.sh
Now you should be able to access administrative interface via web browser on address:
http://127.0.0.1:7657/home
Old 16th July 2016
More noise than signal

Default Storage Management

Briefly:
Quote:
When I used the Installer, I did choose “Auto layout”...
The automatic partition sizes are set based on the size of the drive and the amount of RAM in the computer. The specifics are described in the AUTOMATIC DISK ALLOCATION section of the disklabel(8) man page.

Your list of mounted filesystems, their size, and current usage percentages can be found with the df(1) command. $ df -h should help you understand what partitions you have, and how full they are.

Unallocated space will only be available if the disk drive is larger than the maximum size allocation of each partition. This will be a drive larger than approximately 350GB, as the size of RAM in the computer will impact the size of swap space and the /var partition.

Automatic disk allocation is fine for most purposes, but it doesn't meet requirements for port builders. Java is one of the larger ports.

Last edited by jggimi; 16th July 2016 at 12:19 PM. Reason: typos
Old 18th July 2016
Sam98

Smile Thank you guys!

Hey e1-531g! Thank you! Your instructions are really good, not only for me, also for other users!

Thanks for your time, I do really appreciate that.

I would like to make some clarifications because some bad understandings:

Quote:
I don't know if OpenBSD is so a secure system for someone new to Unix-like systems and configuring daemons and need to do something fast and needs various programs not found in base OpenBSD system.
1) I am not new in “Unix-like” systems. I am new in OpenBSD.

Someone new in “Unix-like" systems won't see that there are huge differences on packages administrations, compilators, and functional configurations between GNU and BSD, and also between BSD project's systems, and GNU system versions. Ubuntu is not Arch, OpenBSD is not DragonflyBSD, Debian is not Gentoo, and so on.

2) That a program could not be on “base OpenBSD system” is not a sing to think that is less secure to install and use it. There is a lot of considerations that can be made. Could it be less secure?: yes. Could it be really secure?: also, yes.

Quote:
security is a process
I am agree with you. There is not a “perfect” system, there are all made by humans, there is always work to do. But OpenBSD steal be a really good option. The propose of OpenBSD is offer to community a secure system (“secure by default” - “Only two remote holes in the default install, in a heck of a long time!”).

Quote:
For professionals or people just wanting to be power users OpenBSD is really good, but if somebody is new and don't have time to learn and maintain I would go for binary Gnu/Linux distro like Debian stable, because it is less time consuming to maintain. Note that even in Debian you need to learn a few things, not type something blind on keyboard or blindly copy-paste from unofficial Internet source and maintain system and do backups etc.
1) I used GNU systems by years (I do know Debian, I have installed it). They are really different from BSD systems.

2) Don't worry, I have time. The problem is that everything is in english, there is not an official forum (always better than a mailing list, and that is why I am here), documentation is not the best (it is not always made to "everyone", is more "elitist"). Some one here can be in disagreement: well, try to don't be a english first language speaker first, and try to guess the lot of presuppositions about the users competences in some sections of man-pages and FAQ (don't worry, I steal liking OpenBSD, is a really interesting and nice project/system).

Quote:
Note that for people using Tor there is a Tails operating system (Gnu/Linux distro), but it is designed to be run as LiveCD, so it is not so good for all use cases.
Totally agree with you: “it is not so good for all use cases”.

Quote:
Anyway I was able to execute I2P on OpenBSD.
Excellent! I am really grateful because you are sharing your experience! Suddenly, there is not good documentation about: “how to install I2P in OpenBSD”.
Quote:
You should note that I don't use I2P on daily basis, so I don't have much experience.
Well, I do. Don't worry Thanks!

Hey, jggimi! Thanks for the details, I did know about the command, but not about the "-h" section!

Maybe to put on FAQ something like: "You want to untar this file in the /usr directory, which will create /usr/ports and all the directories under it. For example:

# cd /usr
# tar xzf /tmp/ports.tar.gz
"

... is not a good recommendation, because it is not a really spacious place for that

But is OK! I can change the ports place

I will share my notices with you sun! There you will know if I finally get it!

Last edited by Nureo; 18th July 2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 18th July 2016
More noise than signal

Quote:
...Maybe to put on FAQ something like...... is not a good recommendation, because it is not a really spacious place for that ...
You may be right. While it isn't my FAQ, and I do not control its contents in any way, I will consider writing a patch to add clarity to that clause, and submitting it to the Project for their review.

Meanwhile:

• You can add unallocated space for the ports tree or for the port object directories as new filesystems.
  • If you do not have unallocated space, you can resize existing filesystems through backup, restructuring, restore
  • You could also backup, reinstall, restore.
  • And while it is not recommended, with careful assignment of environment variables, the tree (or portions of the tree) can be deployed in other directories. See the bsd.port.mk(5) man page.
That same FAQ chapter also states (my highlights in red)
Quote:
In general, you are highly advised to use packages over building an application from ports. The OpenBSD ports team considers packages to be the goal of their porting work, not the ports themselves....Building a complex application from source is not trivial....In addition to having all the pieces work together, there is just the matter of time and resources required to compile some applications from source. Applications such as Mozilla products or KDE may take hours and huge amounts of disk space and RAM/swap to build.

Last edited by jggimi; 18th July 2016 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typo, clarity
Old 19th July 2016
More noise than signal

Nureo, I've written a proposed update to the FAQ, and submitted it. It may be adopted, revised then adopted, or rejected. It might also be ignored.

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=146889176716894&w=2

Tags
/usr, i2p, java, midori, ports