DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2008
Port Guard

Default 4GB RAM with x3100

Got a quick question. I decided to completely redo my laptop hard drive. On there I plan on having my Linux distro, OpenSolaris and FreeBSD. I've been having problems though with the Linux and OpenSolaris. I recently stuck 4GB of RAM in my laptop (upgrade from 2GB). Linux didn't like it. I lost 3D acceleration and even with Compiz off, it was giving me issues. It saw all 4GB (with PAE enabled in the kernel), but the graphics were done. Not that big of a deal, except that it was being a pain in the neck even with Compiz turned all the way off (I don't do any 3d stuff on my laptop). I'm hoping a re-install will set things straight. What I was told, however, in a Linux forum was that, most likely, the graphics driver was getting messed up from the extra RAM and I was advised to go back to my 2GB.

Brings me to my next thing. Trying to install OpenSolaris and it restarted halfway through the install. After the second time, I went researching and found something on OpenSolaris's bugzilla about having problems with intel graphics with more than 3GB of RAM. I replaced my 4GB with 2GB and am going to try the install. Then, I'll put the 4GB back and hope for the best (the LiveCD works fine, just the install is getting messed up).

That brings me to FreeBSD. Am I going to get messed up because of the 4GB? I have a Thinkpad T61 with the Intel x3100 GMA (965 chipset). I really hope I can get all this to work. I'm going to be really disappointed if I have to try to return the 4GB (thought about using 3GB, but I don't think it'd be worth giving up dual channel). Thanks to anyone who can answer my question.