Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th June 2011
Administrator

Default Firefox update politics become contentious

From http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...s-1268282.html

Quote:
Mozilla's switch to a rapid release schedule for the Firefox browser which sees a new release every six weeks is causing confusion, consternation and criticism. The issue was brought to a head by the news that there would be no more security updates for Firefox 4; Firefox 5 is regarded as the security update for Firefox 4. Firefox 4 had just one security update in April and there will be only one more security update for Firefox 3.6. Its users will also have to join the rapid release train that is Firefox, which will then see Firefox 5 end of life'd (EOL) when Firefox 6 is released and Firefox 6 EOL'd when Firefox 7 arrives.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th June 2011
Administrator

Mozilla should just add a link to their website that would lead to FIREFOX NIGHTLY BUILD and that's it, mission accomplished, no need for updates and testing at all

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th June 2011
VPN Cryptographer

The Enterprise is wrong
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th June 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enterprise is wrong
Ultimately, perhaps companies need to re-evaluate their use of the Web itself. If a company really does need to perform extensive validation and verification of its software, perhaps using a browser to deliver that software just isn't appropriate. There are platforms that have a slower pace of evolution, stabler APIs, greater resistance to feature regressions, and long-term support: they're called operating systems. If long-term stability is what you want, perhaps a desktop application is what you need.
That last chapter is totally bullshit for me. Something like 'choose Your operating system and write the app there' ... great, but with interfaces/applications written to work in browsers You are not tied to the operating system. Going further that direction, which operating system the 'not-web' application developers would choose ... if You wonder, then let me help You here, the most popular one.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th June 2011
More noise than signal

In an ideal world:
  1. The goals of a business goals are the impetus for business decisions
  2. These decisions create business processes and associated rules
  3. Business process analysis permits automation requirements definition
  4. Automation requirements define application architecture
  5. Application architecture defines technology infrastructure design
  6. Technology infrastructure defines platform and operating environments
Unfortunately,there are many technology restrictions imposed by IT organizations that prevent this model from being used fully; or sometimes, being used at all.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th June 2011
Administrator

Default Mozilla strikes a conciliatory tone with enterprises

From http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...s-1269517.html

Quote:
In the past week, tensions have been running high between enterprise users of Firefox and the Mozilla Foundation over the new rapid release schedule for Firefox, but in a new blog posting, Jay Sullivan, VP of Products at Mozilla, appears to be trying to calm the situation.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th June 2011
Tcpdump Spy

CentOS 5.6 (latest version) is running OpenSSH 4.3 (Feb. 2006) ... This seems to be typical of the "Enterprise mindset" and many CentOS people I've spoken to seem to think this is the most logical thing in the world .....
So expecting these people to start updating firefox every month orso would require a paradigm shift in their thinking.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th June 2011
Too dumb for a smartphone

My take on it is that Mozilla no longer wants to expend many resources on back-porting security fixes, and would rather concentrate on development. For those parts of the corporate world that would be disadvantaged by this, Mozilla would like them to foot the bill for extra security back-porting, and/or get together and do it themselves since it's open-source.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th June 2011
Spam Deminer

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -pi
# Enterprise browser deployment script
# Copyright MR Corp.  All Rights Reserved, All Warranty Declined
# Version 3.7.14.222c
# Created 8/6/2011
# Last updated 12/23/2013
# Change history:
# ellisj -- reverted previous "fix" for ticket 288391234
# warnerm -- really fixed ticket 288391234
# ellisj -- fixed ticket 288391234
# smithb -- portability issues, general cleanup.
# smithb -- migated to git
# dupuisj -- fixed trac defect 3324333
# jasonr -- trimmed version history
# jasonr -- migrated to subversion
# ginsburgd -- added copyright
# jacobj -- improved performance using Perl 5.14.1
# alexa -- improved performance using Perl 5.003
# jzelig -- remove RCS files, imported to CVS
# borisk -- #5532334
# bob -- Fixes for bugzilla incidents 233341, 233101, 234581, 242923,
# 334433, and 11023.  Btw. the shower on the third floor is useless.  
# There's air all through the pipes.  It sounds like a Vickers I138 on a 
# foster mount with a rusted out assembly.  I couldn't get the shampoo 
# out of my hair worth a damn, and now I feel like there are ants nesting 
# on my scalp.  It's nice to be able to bike into work, though, I'll give you 
# that.
# larryd -- port from tcl
# bob -- trim change history
s/firefox/agilecloudenabler/g;
s/(?<=version\s)(\d+)/1.$1/g;
Old 29th June 2011
VPN Cryptographer

I'm going to agree with the enterprise statement by Mozilla, the organization I work for has over 100,000+ desktops. Normal users aren't allowed to install applications on these, so any updates have to be automated or done by PC Support staff...there is no way that a browser that get updated every six weeks is going to be "approved software". Heck, by the time the IT staff vetted the updates a new update would be available.

As for browser application being independent, in theory you'd think so, but at least in our industry health care and health insurance everything is windows (.NET) so definitely requires windows on the servers and most only support IE.

It scares me to know that we have operating rooms that run windows xp...
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
Problem with that article is that it takes a very pro-MS slant, in that it only discusses enterprises running Windows and Internet Explorer. What about all the non-MS-running enterprises that no longer have a long-ish-term browser to depend on?

For example, our school district just completed (middle of June) the upgrade of all our schools to Debian 5.0 (Lenny) which includes FF 3.6. Google (and other online providers) are EoL-ing support for FF 3.x this summer. So we had to do a manual install of FF 4.0 (no .deb packages available for it) and do all the testing to make sure it will work with all our websites and web apps.

And now FF 4.0 has been EoL'd by Mozilla, before we've even finished deploying it!!

Between sites like Google committing to only support the last 2 releases of any browser, and developers like Mozilla committing to releasing new versions every 6-ish weeks with no support for prior versions, is anyone really surprised about the uproar?

Yes, Google releases a new version of Chrome every 3 months or so. HOWEVER, they still release security and bug fixes for old versions in the meantime (watch the patch-level and minor version number increase in the About dialog). This is something that Mozilla won't be doing.

This is enough to drive non-MS users to Opera.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 30th June 2011
Banned

What about SeaMonkey? that has a slightly less irregular release schedule, it's essentially a maintained Netscape/Mozilla suite.
Old 1st July 2011
Administrator

@phoenix

I smell 'upgrade' to Chromium ;p

Old 6th July 2011
Risen from the ashes

We have Google Chrome, Opera, and Firefox installed on the image, with the default currently set to Firefox. However, considering we have only just this week certified FF5 to work and FF6 is about to hit Beta status with a release this summer, we just may have to consider changing the default.

What's funny is that Mozilla is trying to emulate Google, without realising that Chrome has a major.minor.revision numbering scheme (have a look under About), and that they do continuous updates within a major.minor version, and even within a major version. IOW, Google is doing things right by providing security and bug fixes for major/minor versions, while Mozilla is just screwing everyone over by only releasing major.0 versions.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 9th July 2011
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
It scares me to know that we have operating rooms that run windows xp...
My favourites is seeing nurses pushing carts and sheriffs driving around with Windows XP powered notebooks :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Problem with that article is that it takes a very pro-MS slant, in that it only discusses enterprises running Windows and Internet Explorer. What about all the non-MS-running enterprises that no longer have a long-ish-term browser to depend on?

This is enough to drive non-MS users to Opera.
My thoughts exactly, although being the root of my own workstation, I just use Chrome's stable branch hehe :-).

Opera generally seems to release 1 or 2 major hiccups a year, at the most. Making it rather pleasant IMHO. I've also been particularly fond of more consistent platform support than the other browsers. Hopefully what's bad for Dinosaur users will be good for the singers?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.