DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th January 2012
Port Guard

Default resizing or creating of partitions in NetBSD after installation?

First, I have to say - I'm much more familiar with Linux than with BSD and I'm not sure I really understand the BSD terminology or concept of labels and slices.

Now, my situation: I have NetBSD installed (and working well) on a disk with various other Windows and Linux partitions. NetBSD is installed on two partitions (/dev/wd0a for / and /dev/wd0h for /usr... well, and also /dev/wd0b for swap). They both fit into what disklabel declares as "unused", that is "c" (I suppose it would be /dev/wd0c) and what is being seen "from outside" (for example - parted from Linux) just as a single "sun-ufs" partition (but, from Linux I can only mount the NetBSD's /, it doesn't see it's /usr... I suppose it's normal ). That wd0c (or, maybe, better to say - wd0h), happens to be, by physical order on the disk, the very last partition that fits into the maximal range disklabel can see (I have all partitions from wd0e to wd0p, of Windows or Linux type, and they are all before the NetBSD partition; there're also some partitions at the and of the disk, but, they are ignored by disklabel).

Now, my problem: it's coming to be quite packed on my /usr; in fact, it's more than full and I've already had to pull out /pkgsrc ant to declare a new path, but, it's still nearly full. And I have a plenty of free space just after the NetBSD partition. I'd like either to make a new partition, or to enlarge (indestructibly!) the present /usr. I don't mind which solution I would apply, but, I'm not sure if any of them is available (and, if yes - how?)

A) Is it possible to resize (indestructibly!) a NetBSD partition? Maybe from a LiveCD? With another BSD?

B) If I create a new partition, would disklabel see it? May I instruct disklabel to ignore some of Windows partitions and just to jump over, so that the new partition may fit into its range? For, example, I don't care to have access from NetBSD to the present wd0g... may I make a NetBSD partiton and tell disklabel to take it for a new wd0g (obviously, I'd like to preserve "wd0h" for /usr)? And... would I lose that partition (Windows or whatever) on the disk, too? For other OS's.

Can I do something? (Except to reinstall NetBSD and take more space.) And, in the case of "yes", please - what exactly? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by J65nko; 28th January 2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Some whitespace added ;)