DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2018
Arp Constable

Default Forum Project: Lightweight, FreeDesktop compliant DE

In F/U to a discussion in the HowTo, section (https://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=10656), the components for a freedesktop compliant DE are available. It uses x11/openbox, x11/tint2, x11/menu-cache, x11/gnome/menus and the following wip/port

jgmenu-1.6.tar.gz

With xenodm, cupsd, apmd, avahi_daemon, 2 tint2 panels, and a local instance of mpd, resting memory useage is 133M. Replacing openbox-menu with jgmenu_run, in ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml, all installed applications with *desktop files show up in the menu. Manual editing of openbox, cwm, twm, fvwm application menus becomes a thing of the past.

It does raise some issues though. In OpenBSD, all base apps (xterm, xcalc) lack *.desktop files. In ports, legacy apps and alternative erminals (ncmpc, ncmpcpp, calcurse, mutt, neomutt, rxvt-unicode, mlterm) also lack *.desktop entries. ArchLinux, Debian and Fedora all add *desktop files with "Terminal=true". Terminal is specified by x-terminal-emulator and can be anything.

An obvious workaround would be for the user to install applications with *freedesktop entries or to reference tutorials on how to generate the entries.

Arch Wiki Desktop-entries

Personally, I use xterm, mutt, xcalc, ncmpc and calcurse and providing the missing *desktop entries is nearly as much work as manually editing openbox config files. I currently have a ~.config/tint2/tint2rc file that calls weather information, a panel calendar, wireless management.

One thought is to set this up as a project. I can provide the basic skeleton and those interested in contributing could provide their *.desktop/icon files and scripts.

If this works, the *desktop entries could be submitted to ports@openbsd.org

Would the moderators be OK with the forum hosting this project?

Are there forum members interested in contributing?

Here is the basic setup with Instructions.
BareGUI.tar.gz
Forgot to add you need an /etc/doas.conf entry for the user shutdown entries and be a member of the wheel group.
Code:
permit nopass :wheel as root cmd /sbin/shutdown
Screenshot
Name:  screenshot.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  98.0 KB

Last edited by shep; 15th January 2019 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Updated tar.gz with cantarell-fonts, liberation-fonts, added Missing gnome-menus
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th October 2018
Package Pilot

If no problem with the moderators, I am interested in contributing.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st November 2018
Fdisk Soldier

Default Gendesk

Looking at the Arch wiki Desktop-entries page you referred to, under the tools section there's something called gendesk, (https://github.com/xyproto/gendesk) an application written in Go which compiles easily and runs well on OpenBSD.

With this tool I was able to easily create some bare-bones .desktop files. So for example to create mutt.desktop it's:

Code:
% gendesk -f --pkgname="mutt" --terminal="true" --comment="$(pkg_info -qc mutt)"
taking the output in this case from pkg_info to fill in the comment field. Gendesk will also download the relevant PNG icon file from the net if it cannot find one on the local system, and place it in the current directory together with the desktop file.

The mutt.desktop file so created was:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Name=Mutt
Comment=tty-based e-mail client
Exec=mutt
Icon=mutt
Terminal=true
StartupNotify=false
Categories=Application;
Gendesk has quite a few other command-line arguments, allowing customisation of the .desktop file to the required degree.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st November 2018
OpenBSD language porter

Seems like you should make a port of that.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd November 2018
Arp Constable

@ip6ix
Great. I'd envisoned downloading the *.desktop file from from Debian, Arch or Fedora repositories, particularly if it had internationalization. Question for Ibara, would it be acceptable, once they pass scrutiny, to submit to ports? My first target is xterm. The vte based terminals have a propensity to core dump. Xterm is rock solid and would not be a bad thing to show up in a Desktop menu.

The other thought was to put scripts, that could be utilized by other lightweight desktops and link to them from this thread. I have 3 scripts for weather information: current conditions, forecast and playback of composite radar.

I'll post the BareGUI config files shortly.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd November 2018
OpenBSD language porter

I was thinking more along the lines of making gendesk a port.
I could imagine a collection of pre-created .desktop files for base things would be OK IFF they don't interfere with anything, and probably as long as it never becomes a dependency of anything else.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd November 2018
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
Seems like you should make a port of that.
I'd be happy to, though I'd have to find out how to do it first. Will read the faqs.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd November 2018
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ip6ix View Post
I'd be happy to, though I'd have to find out how to do it first. Will read the faqs.
Not to forget: OpenBSD Virtual Porting Workshop
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd November 2018
Arp Constable

Basic setup appended to my first post. It includes an xterm.desktop that uses a terminal.svg from the gnome icon theme. From here you should be able to choose whatever browser, email client, office apps you want and use tint2conf on the launcher.tint2rc.

Edit: The pkglist was missing gnome-menus - jgmenu would error that it could not find a menu. Fixed now.

Last edited by shep; 7th November 2018 at 01:55 AM.
Old 30th January 2019
Package Pilot

Hey shep, what are the news? It will be the next SD?
Old 30th January 2019
Arp Constable

jgmenu has recently had a large number of commits that should make it more attractive to OpenBSD ports. Upstream is receptive and now tests on their own OpenBSD install. I'm expecting a release within the next week or two. My vision is to have an easy to customize system without alot of dependencies. jgmenu would be the cornerstone.
Old 31st January 2019
Package Pilot

Ok, can't wait ahah!