DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th January 2015
Spam Deminer

Default [RE-SOLVED] Opera problem (FreeBSD] after v10 upgrade-updated >> mini howto included.

SORRY for the lots-of text. Included, a nice port to preview installed fonts, and a rudimentary howto for an obscure use of jails by a newbie. As well somewhat of a FYI that the ports tree (FreeBSD) revamped its font infrastructure which fixes some things
font-manager (iirc) may be the item most of note in this thread....

II can browser fine with Opera still [mostly] but cannot interact with its dialog. ONLY the lowercase 'a' shows. For instance, the 'graphics' button (on off toggle) has [ a ] and the 'open in background tab' is [ _ a a ] ...

So the prompts and browser action are only by 'what the 'a'
probably resolves to...

Even the about:config choices are a bunch of 'a' and no other text nor numeric values visibly selected, though the items to choose are in another font and are visible.

I rebuilt it with/without qt4, gtk2, and the problem persists. NO menu nor 'preferences' choices to speak of that are a change from what used to be.

This happened once before, but the 'a' and 'e' were also visible. And was fixed by some random crash and restore...

...........UPDATE

installed otter-browser (opera -qt5) and it has the exact same problem. Other than that,
it is a nice browser.
off-topic
Anyone using opera in linux, netbsd, pcbsd, or openbsd as their usual browser?

Last edited by jb_daefo; 23rd March 2015 at 12:55 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th January 2015
ISO Quartermaster

I use opera on FreeBSD-10.1, but I'm not sure what you mean. I don't see a graphics on/off toggle, for example. I think I installed from packages, for what it's worth.
I see opera turbo, link and panel as icons on the lower left.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th January 2015
Spam Deminer

I've a graphics toggle button custom-installed so that it is off by default. The issue is, for example, browsing this forum, right-clicking on a thread, only by knowing the third answer from the dialog top means Open in New Tab ... would I know to open the thread in a new tab. Additionally, even in the newly-installed-today otter-browser, when typing in a url, for example, it is not echoed back, as if one were typing a password even without asterisk feedback. [ The issue is NOT present, here in the forum UI, however... ] ... rendering the otter-browser useful principally running it one instance per URL, from the command line, so that one can even type in the url accurately.
Right now, at the top.
_ E _ _ a _ _
and below that
[opera icon] 5spaces- a 3spaces x-to-close [which may be the opera menu icon-tab widget]
and below that
[search dialog: with one a]
custom button no letters
usermode-author mode no letters, unusable button
graphics on-off ,no letters, usable by memory
some other button I've forgotten
the magnification dialog, I could go up or down within the numerals,
but they are not shown, so I've no clue as to the nature of then new
magnification.

The concern is, all these customizations, which took years, may be lost and
unrepeatable mostly, at least easily, if I attempt to remove all traces of any
opera install for a new attempt at one.
Soi I am wondering if it is a CSS issue or a GTK2 quirk or something...

I've a v10 that has not been fully updated from v9 (all the ports) and opera still
runs fine. Applying a few confs from that one, to this one, made it slightly less
broken, but still not upto usability as per the missing consonants... and was a
bit of effort.

Last edited by jb_daefo; 13th January 2015 at 02:12 AM. Reason: new data
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th January 2015
ISO Quartermaster

Ah, Ok, I'm not seeing anything like that. Everything is showing up fully for me, Running it on a dwm desktop, if that's any help at all.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th January 2015
More noise than signal

Gentlemen: it appears that there is a known problem with Opera plugins, fixed two weeks ago.

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head...y=date#dirlist

Disclaimer: I use neither Opera nor FreeBSD. I assume this is applicable, but could be completely wrong.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th January 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

As much as I liked Opera it is dead (I mean the real one with Presto engine). Do yourself a favour and start migrating process because it is going to be painful (Opera was light years ahead of the competition).
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th January 2015
Spam Deminer

I found a v10 not-upgraded-yet opera (working) on a backup, and used its confs to change the theme, type in DejaVu > Courier in a few places
wikipedia, for instance, still shows the missing consonants. But I can right click, then the lowermost right-arrow in the dialog shows the seamonkey icon, and seamonkey can load that page.
Similarly, to save for instance a jpg, the fourth non-existant choice, below a seperator, leads to the save jpg dialog.
So it is usable almost-as-before, and with prettier fonts, but non-routine stuff is still problematic and relegated to seamonkey, firefox, links -g, or otter-browser.
Two chances to resolve it within a month or so... time will tell.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th January 2015
Spam Deminer

No font problem on a fresh CURRENT install. So there's that.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th February 2015
Spam Deminer

HTML Code:
http://archlinux.reddit.com
cannot be viewed in opera; Seamonkey works. IIRC all other ( reddit.com/r/linux ) for example, no problem... Maybe some CSS trick could fix it.
OTOH not the problem here it once was due to font improvements...
/EDIT///

One of the filesystems crashed (disk bios/hardware) Parts of /etc not readable.
Migrated to a spare backup... which unfortunately was v9 not v10. Upgraded it
to v10... Opera is now working fine again.

Edit 2
updated the thousands of pkgs ( ABI )... broke opera (usable as per the initial post.)
Should have mabye left them not updated.

Last edited by jb_daefo; 13th March 2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 13th March 2015
Spam Deminer

Well, on the arch linux forum the search "opera AND fonts AND problem" returned a slew of similar problems... tried a few fixes, nothing works so far.

And I've backups that work fine still. (24 hour difference in system updates). If I knew it was worth the time, and had a bit more knowledge, maybe I could put the relevant "working opera" in a jail or BHYVE or Xen. But that may take many hours with only a sixty percent chance of a short term fix, and could reapper, say, if the jail stopped working in the next FeeBSD version.

Or run arch linux opera in a container?
Or linux-opera? twelve or so dependencies...
Spam Deminer

1... make a new filesystem with free space on disk
2... newfs it.
3... DESTDIR installworld etc
4... copy a working backup libraries to various places
5... copy various programs so X programs can run in the jail
6... setup a jail, the new partition mounted as jail
7... configure partially the jail (newbie)
8... on the host, use (Xnest or ) xephyr to start an X server
9... on the jail, start an xterm connected to the Xephyr server
10... in the Xterm, in the jail, start the working copy of opera
11... only problem seems to be getting opera shifted to the left... I've two-thirds of it only onscreen despite Xephyr being fullscreen... it is shifted to the right...
===========================================
[ Maybe someone knows if now "ssh -X" into the jail would enable starting opera from that environment... ]
---- ignore that for now, I've yet to test the below when I have time-----
Code:
xrandr   --output VGA2 mode 1152x814
...As soon as I convert its LCD parameters to this CRT one... etc, Also
if it works in Xephyr. I think I read that Xnest does not support the command.
It worked to fix a similar problem
=============================================
xrandr cannot find gamma, cannot read EDID
editing the opera binary with paths not working
writing a libmap.conf not working
altering LD_LIBRARY_PATH not working
....................... a few other ideas to try
....................... sorry for the does-not-apply-to-anyone-else posts.

Last edited by jb_daefo; 15th March 2015 at 06:20 PM. Reason: More useful last post for searches etc... and results if any
Old 15th March 2015
Spam Deminer

Talking SOLVED for now... >> mini howto...

I tried on the LCD and xterm(jail) could not work as before, to connect to Xephyr(new-10-Stable). Let us test the jail once more to see if "cntl-shift grabs mouse and keyboard" message at the top of the Xephyr window enables moving the half-visible opera (working) leftward, but BEFORE that could occur. opera (fixed for now) loads center (at least this time).
Code:
# psuedo code, some items changed
mount -t ufs /dev/gpt/jail /JAIL
Xephyr :1 -screen 3000x2000
# in another terminal
jail -c path=/JAIL mount.devfs host.hostname=gateway.com ip4add=10.0.0.1 command=/bin/sh
# in the resulting jail
df    # is the jail only seen, a test as it were
xterm -fg green -bg black -display :1    # :1 is Xephyr vs Xorg
# in the xterm, in Xephyr
opera -display :1
So "half a jail" hastily setup, by hours of testing found something that works...
Hope this helps those searching the site and the internet for a similar method or
a howto. Despite this being a CRT and I don't know if it will still work on a LCD or
not... ... or suddenly fail within the next few reboots or weeks.
tl;dr
Unreadable fonts in opera >> older working opera running in a jail FROM the newer sytem, indeed both opera browsers running concurrently, in seperate terminals on the same desktop.
Spam Deminer

Default What?

Today 3/21/2015, the ports tree revamped many fonts. An hour with portupgrade, just the fonts and a few related ports that were bumped, and all that effort posted above was for naught, opera is working perfectly again, now at least. Sorry for the numerous posts...
OTOH a side effect appeared, just on some sites [ google search] the font is some very-italicized one rather than usual readability. Maybe I can find it in the preferences and set it back though.

Last edited by jb_daefo; 22nd March 2015 at 02:13 AM.
Old 22nd March 2015
Spam Deminer

No luck fixing the italic font on some sites problem. No problem reading the italic sites with workarounds or switching search engines, from the two that display it that less-readable way. The following code replicates the too-italic font in the speed dial and restores it to normal. So opera is probably not finding a font somewhere. I've way too many to figure out the fix; it will probably disappear someday. OTOH this disappearing-font problem may reappear also... at least it is all more passable now.
Code:
cd /usr/local/share
mv fonts fonts.bak
mv fonts.bak fonts
That path is new as of this week.

Last edited by jb_daefo; 22nd March 2015 at 09:02 PM. Reason: three times for legibility and clarification
Old 23rd March 2015
Spam Deminer

Hmm...
some *font* port is tracebacking on python, let us deinstall py-reportlab2 and install py-reportlab. Seems to have crashed opera. Installing the latter from packages fixed that.
Hmm...
What is this program "font-manager" and why did I not find it searching for what replaced gfontview and why is it so EASY to preview installed fonts. Let us move a .ttf from /root/.fonts that installs mistakenly as arial, to elsewhere.
Result:
Opera fixed without any font problem whatsoever (removing an errant .ttf and revamping of
the ports infrastructure this week)
Nice preview tool, of ALL fonts, that I forgot had been installed.
Preventing the italic font from appearing again, by moving the .ttf file.
So the thread is not useless after all... all appears solved...
Spam Deminer

Today's pkg update broke Opera again. Luckily was fixed:
Code:
pkg delete -f dejavu
... for completeness to the thread. Dejavu reportedly was required by other ports, hence the flag on the command. To be seen if any effects from that...
Spam Deminer

NOW I'm confused. I upgraded an older v10 to v11 as of about two days ago, and not only does dejavu NOT wreck the fonts as it does on the usual machine, but the LCD picture is perfectly centered, whereas before it was always off-center needing an xrandr command... Each seems perfect. [ May not last past all the "ABI changed " upgrades ... ( per "pkg upgrade") that don't really need doing, though... at least from past experience only as far as v10, not v11... so remains to be seen if this result is permanent or fleeting. ]