DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2016
Shell Scout

Default FreeBSD 11 upgrade woes

Hi,

I had a FreeBSD 10.3 server running dovecot/postfix/mailman working AOK. I upgraded to 11.0 and, while I get no error in the mail client I'm using, I am not seeing any new email messages via IMAP. Sending email seems to be working just fine because I was able to send from an account on that box to an external gmail account and the message got through.

Furthermore, while the web UI for Mailman seems to be working fine, I tried a test send to a list on it and it never showed up in the Archive nor did it go out to another user on the list.

Can someone please suggest to me where I can look in certain log files, etc. to start troubleshooting this problem? I'm normally an OpenBSD guy and I'm a bit out of my depth here.

Thanks in advance!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2016
Port Guard

Maybe it's a stupid question, but did you reinstall your ports/pkgs after the upgrade to FreeBSD 11?
The world doesn't live off jam and fancy perfumes - it lives off bread and meat and potatoes. Nothing changes. All the big fancy stuff is sloppy stuff that crashes. I don't need dancing baloney - I need stuff that works. -- Theo de Raadt
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2016
Shell Scout

Good question. Yes, I followed the steps in the handbook and did those outlined in 23.2.3.2 - Upgrading packages after a major upgrade.

I'm wondering if something changed with the new versions and I just need to tweak a configuration setting.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th October 2016
Port Guard

If there are significant changes from previous versions there could be a message coming wth the package; try
Code:
pkg info -D <pkg_name>
to see if there are some warnings.

Regarding logs instead, the location is always /var/log. However you can always try the "old trick" of launching those programs from command line to look for errors.

HTH
The world doesn't live off jam and fancy perfumes - it lives off bread and meat and potatoes. Nothing changes. All the big fancy stuff is sloppy stuff that crashes. I don't need dancing baloney - I need stuff that works. -- Theo de Raadt
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th October 2016
Shell Scout

Turned out to be two things - one self-inflicted. I had forgotten that I had installed some things from compiled ports versus pkg because there was an issue with one of the packages at the time I set up the server. I followed the instructions in the handbook on how to fix that post-upgrade and that solved one problem.

The other was more odd. "newaliases" wouldn't update the db files for me. I had to run postalias /etc/mail/alias and postalias /usr/local/mailman/data/alias to update those files. Tailing /var/log/maillog gave me the clues I needed to solve that problem.

Everything is up and running. Next time (note to self), take a snapshot of the VM before doing a major version number upgrade. :-)

Thanks everyone!