DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2013
Administrator

Default Upgrading ports/packages

After spending most of the last years with OpenBSD I am building new FreeBSD 9.1 webserver now..
I am using a FreeBSD box at home to compile the ports into packages.

I have set the PACKAGES environment variable
Code:
#  env | grep pack
PACKAGES=/home/packages
This way a # make config-recursive and # make package-recursive results in nice package hierarchy:
Code:
#  ls -l /home/packages | head -5
total 104
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  3072 May  1 08:33 All
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  2560 May  1 08:33 Latest
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   512 Apr 28 00:57 archivers
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   512 Apr 30 21:36 converters
I have about 100 packages built:
Code:
# ls /home/packages/All | wc -l
With rsync these packages are copied to /home/packages on the webserver. That way I can install them with # pkg_add.

portaudit now tells me two ports have security issues:

Code:
# portaudit
Affected package: joomla-2.5.6
Type of problem: Joomla  -- XXS and DDoS vulnerabilities.
Reference: http://portaudit.FreeBSD.org/57df803e-af34-11e2-8d62-6cf0490a8c18.html

Affected package: phpMyAdmin-3.5.7
Type of problem: phpMyAdmin -- Multiple security vulnerabilities.
Reference: http://portaudit.FreeBSD.org/8c8fa44d-ad15-11e2-8cea-6805ca0b3d42.html

Affected package: phpMyAdmin-3.5.7
Type of problem: phpMyAdmin -- XSS due to unescaped HTML output in GIS visualisation page.
Reference: http://portaudit.FreeBSD.org/7280c3f6-a99a-11e2-8cef-6805ca0b3d42.html

3 problem(s) in your installed packages found.

You are advised to update or deinstall the affected package(s) immediately.
I have not rsynced nor installed these packages on the webserver yet.

On April 7 I did a portsnap(8) to get the ports tree on the package building box.

What would be be the best way to upgrade these ports on my package building box without going through the ports/packages equivalent of the Windows 2.x or 3.x DLL upgrade hell ?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd May 2013
Tcpdump Spy

Have you solved this problem yet?

Why go to the bother of building the packages on a separate machine? Is there a compelling reason not to build them on the webserver?

In the case of these three specific ports/packages, the Makefile comprise of little more than a `tar xf' and perhaps a sed or two (ie. no compiling or linking required).
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd May 2013
Administrator

Yes, I solved it. I backed up the ports tree and the packages and rebuilt those two ports/packages. Fortunately it did not trigger a massive rebuilt of other packages

RE: separate package build machine
I prefer not to have to compile ports on a production web server. That is the only reason
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2013
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
Yes, I solved it. I backed up the ports tree and the packages and rebuilt those two ports/packages. Fortunately it did not trigger a massive rebuilt of other packages

RE: separate package build machine
I prefer not to have to compile ports on a production web server. That is the only reason
You should probably be doing that using the new tools for the job - ports-mgmt/pkg and ports-mgmt/poudriere. Setup the poudriere jails and run builds from there.

Here's also documentation how to integrate poudriere with Jenkins in case you are interested.

* http://unix-heaven.org/continuous-pa...re-and-jenkins

Regards,

Useful links: FreeBSD Handbook | FreeBSD Developer's Handbook | The Porter's Handbook | PF User's Guide | unix-heaven.org