DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th March 2014
New User

Default Network Printing, no output or errors from "lpr 'filename'

Subject should be: Network Printing, no output or errors from "lpr 'filename' ".

DaemonForums,

Running "lpr 'filename' ", I'm unable to print using the LPD printer daemon on a laptop (Dell Inspiron 11z, OpenBSD 5.4 Release w/patched source, amd64) to a standalone Canon Imageclass D1150. There is no error afterwards running the above command, nor is there any output from "tail -f /var/log/lpd-errs".

Running "lpc status" gives:

"queueing is enabled
printing is enabled
no entried
printer idle"

Here is my printcap file:

lp|canon:\
:sh=:\
:lp=515@192.168.xxx.xxx:\
:sd=/var/spool/output/canon:\
:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
:rp=canon:

*I've set the printer's hostname to "canon" (when ping-ed by name replies with correct IP address)

*The IP address above contains the true static address I've set on the printer, and the hosts.lpd file contains "canon".

*/var/spool/output/canon has rwx for all, owner=root, group=daemon

*/var/log/lpd-errs shows log info when I restart lpd, but nothing else even when I run "lpr filename".

*rp=remote printer name (assuming host or device name, I've set both to "canon").

I basically followed "Absolute OpenBSD (M Lucas)" (page 306) format, but replaced his "rm=printservername:\" with my "lp=515@192.168.xxx.xxx:\". My understanding is his example points to a print server with printer attached, as opposed to a standalone printer.

Other notes:

I verified with the Canon D1150 manual that it does support LPD, also logged into http interface and verified that LPD is turned on and using port 515.

Ran "nc -z 192.168.xxx.xxx 515" gives "Connection to 192.168.xxx.xxx 515 port (tcp/printer] succeeded!"

I realize I haven't applied any filtering, but am I wrong to believe there would be some response or garbled print output if "lpr 'filename' " is run?

A point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

--spacebar_permissions

Last edited by spacebar_permissions; 12th March 2014 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Pls change subject.