Old 4 Weeks Ago
Package Pilot

Default FreebSD grapical Installer

Seem FreeBSD is looking at a GUI Installer:

https://www.osnews.com/story/139545/...cal-installer/
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Open Source Software user

What FreeBSD 'needs' is a means to install a basic GUI desktop...NetBSD & OpenBSD have that option, even though they use relatively old looking window managers.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
User

"Although unlikely, I hope OpenBSD, too, can perhaps consider making some minor affordances to desktop users"

God I hope they don't change the installer. What could possibly be easier then smashing the enter key a few times, creating a user account, host name and rebooting.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd-keith View Post
What FreeBSD 'needs' is a means to install a basic GUI desktop...NetBSD & OpenBSD have that option, even though they use relatively old looking window managers.
Not really. There is documentation: https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/x11/

Unlike OpenBSD, for example, FreeBSD provides x server in ports/packages, rather than as part of the base system. I'm not sure where things stand on base system components (i.e. an installer) depending on components in the ports tree (pre-compiled packages in this case). That could be a mess.

OpenBSD has their own x server build system (xenocara) and it is integrated into the base system along with a simple, licence compliant, window manager.

For users who want a "ready to run" desktop, there are a plethora of alternatives and even FreeBSD derivatives such as GhostBSD.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhole View Post
Not really. There is documentation: https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/x11/.......
For users who want a "ready to run" desktop, there are a plethora of alternatives and even FreeBSD derivatives such as GhostBSD.
That's a full DE environment - Open & Net give a 'basic' WM environment option - no X/GUI installed, unless you specify it, (I have both as installations).

FreeBSD can be a nightmare to get a basic GUI up & running, unless something drastic has happened since the last time I looked at doing so, that's one of the reasons I stick to using Open &/or Net.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Spam Deminer

All I can say is that it works here.

I install drm-510-kmod, gpu-firmware-kmod, xorg, lightdm and xfce from packages.

/etc/rc.conf

Code:
hostname="blackhole"
keymap="uk.kbd"
ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="AUTO"
dbus_enable="YES"
lightdm_enable="YES"
avahi_daemon_enable="YES"
avahi_dnsconfd_enable="YES"
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
sshd_enable="YES"
As per the handbook, add user to video group:
Code:
# pw groupmod video -m username
No need for xorg configuration.

//edit: that reminds me - I don't think I need avahi any more - that was for KDE as I recall and I've not used that in maybe 2 years...

Last edited by blackhole; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:31 AM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 1 Week Ago
New User

Arrow Installing a desktop environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd-keith View Post
… to install a basic GUI desktop …
The FreeBSD ports collection includes what's probably the best-known solution:

sysutils/desktop-installer
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 1 Week Ago
New User

Smile Changes to the installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
… I hope they don't change the installer. …
I'm delighted to note that it's too late to grant your wish. From the most recent status report for the work:

Quote:
… The most important objective of this project was to improve bsdinstall, regardless of the success of this integration. …
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 1 Week Ago
Spam Deminer

To me the rationale for this makes little sense, and smacks of marketing:

Quote:
The first hurdle to overcome when testing a new Operating System is to get it installed. What is more, the first impression new users gather from an Operating System is its installation process. The state of the art for Operating System installers nowadays definitely involves a graphical process. This is the case for mainstream systems but also for other UNIX systems comparable to FreeBSD: RedHat Enterprise Linux, Ubuntu, Debian GNU/Linux, or even Devuan GNU+Linux Regardless of the technical level of the actual user, this is how the platform will be compared in the public eye.
It equates to a lot of man hours time and labour for "first impressions". Then, when the user completes the installation, they are presented with a standard FreeBSD installation, which will not include X.org or a desktop environment, nor many of the additional UI tools which it has taken the likes of Canonical, openSUSE, Red Hat, et al decades to develop and refine... so it seems like a fancy graphical installer is just one very small step and perhaps a rather futile one at that - if all of the associated "bling" that comes with a typical desktop focused Linux dsitro does not follow...

Why should FreeBSD reinvent the Linux desktop distro wheel, instead of just continuing to do what it does best?

I would like to know who has had trouble with the standard FreeBSD installation process (bsdinstall) and if they think that trouble could have been avoided by use of a graphical installer?
Old 21 Hours Ago
User

"Although unlikely, I hope OpenBSD, too, can perhaps consider making some minor affordances to desktop users"

I said that in reference to OpenBSD making changes as well. Apologies for the confusion. Regarding FreeBSD meh... I don't interact with it often enough to care.
Old 8 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamperrin View Post
The FreeBSD ports collection includes what's probably the best-known solution:

sysutils/desktop-installer
Then that needs to be an option when installing FreeBSD, not left for people to (hopefully) find it...

Tags
freebsd install gui