DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Default Slackware 12.1 released

Hello,

The latest version of Slackware - 12.1 - has been released. The official announcement can be read here:

http://www.slackware.com/announce/12.1.php
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th May 2008
Port Guard

Happy times to see Slackware released at the same time as OpenBSD.

I still gotta search the Linux distro for me. I think I'll give Dracolinux a spin as it's base is same as Slackware's but it's configured to use pkgsrc for additional packages.
The one thing that bothers me in Slackware is lack of the setting it up manually. I like the tools to fetch my packages
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th May 2008
UNIX lover

Slack is imho one of the best Linux distro, really UNIX-like and without massive <em>foo</em> ;-)
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Been a busy week around here getting OpenBSD and Slackware upgraded on all the machines. I got my 4.3 cd's a few days before Slackware was released, so I didn't have to do them both at the same time.
Now just to sit back and enjoy them
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I'd rather take Fedora or Ubuntu seeing as to the fact that both these distributions are backed by well known venders and i can get commercial support for them.
Windows = a 32 bit extensions to a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a four bit processor written by 2-bit monopolistic software company founded by a .3-bit Harvard Drop out, who can't stand one respectable bit of competition.
If I believe something to be immoral a will not keep quite and let my voice of annoyance be heard loud and clear.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBSD View Post
I'd rather take Fedora or Ubuntu seeing as to the fact that both these distributions are backed by well known venders and i can get commercial support for them.
To each his own, I guess.

Can one consider Google as "commercial support" for FreeBSD? lol...

Google is a sysadmin's best friend

PS - Good to see Slack still chugging along. I'm far removed from my "Ohh lookie, Linux!" days, but back in the day Slack was a favorite of mine (still couldn't fall out of love with Debian either, but that's another story all together)
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBSD View Post
What kind of situation are you talking about here? Home user, company, desktop or server edition? And you think it is free?

http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid

Thanks but no thanks. $250 yearly fee for desktop support. Most of the ubuntu troubles can be googled and solved within a couple of minutes, and it doesnt cost you a penny
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I am only referring to the fact that both Fedora (Redhat) and Ubuntu Conical are founded by well known commercial promoters of open source. In the case of Fedora especially sense the RedHat developers have sparked their own little subset of distributions, and not to mention the fact that ninety percent of the fortune five hundred companies that use Linux on their servers prefer Red Hat.
Windows = a 32 bit extensions to a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a four bit processor written by 2-bit monopolistic software company founded by a .3-bit Harvard Drop out, who can't stand one respectable bit of competition.
If I believe something to be immoral a will not keep quite and let my voice of annoyance be heard loud and clear.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
UNIX lover

>I am only referring to the fact that both Fedora (Redhat) and Ubuntu Conical are founded by well known commercial promoters of open source.

And Patrick Volkerding (Slackware) is known for his quality work since the beginning of Linux. Ubuntu is founded by a millionaire and space tourist. It's experience that counts not money.

>and not to mention the fact that ninety percent of the fortune five hundred companies that use Linux on their servers prefer Red Hat.

That's not a fact for anything, it's just a number. Most of the time some decision maker in a company makes his glorious decision and some administrators can cope with the disaster.

Big companies like Juniper Networks, Yahoo, Nokia, Cisco etc. are using FreeBSD too, some of them even OpenBSD for special task. So what?
Old 10th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Big companies like Juniper Networks, Yahoo, Nokia, Cisco etc. are using FreeBSD too, some of them even OpenBSD for special task. So what?
It gonna be off topic a bit but Im wondering why Google uses Linux distro instead of BSD? Surely google techie guys know how good BSD is, so it must be a good reason behind the scene.

My educated guess would be they started with Linux and if they wanna switch to BSD, its time comsuming, costly and huge load of work, or simply BSD is not good for cluster?
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Googol2 View Post
It gonna be off topic a bit but Im wondering why Google uses Linux distro instead of BSD? Surely google techie guys know how good BSD is, so it must be a good reason behind the scene.
Google has a "specially crafted" distro (extremely slimmed down, only the bare essentials) on their cluster.

If it ain't broke... well you know.
Knuth's homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Googol2
so it must be a good reason behind the scene.
they are probably using linux for the same reason that they are using commodity OTS hardware for their servers. probably they have their own software layer running on top of it that takes care of RAS so it doesn't matter what's running beneath it.
anyway, they have some of the smartest CS/IT guys so you can bet they know what they are doing.
Old 10th May 2008
Spam Deminer

They also run their own web server application, gws, short for Google Web Server

They probably prefer to keep the distro name low profile but by any change do you guys know its name? Google is a damn good case study and Im always curious about the technology they implement
Knuth's homeboy

Quote:
They probably prefer to keep the distro name low profile but by any change do you guys know its name?
if you are asking about the linux distro google is using then i think your missed the point.
Old 10th May 2008
Package Pilot

I don't know that they are running any particular "distro". They may have at one time, but the way it is now everything is extremely custom. I, of course, can not say how I know this
UNIX lover

Quote:

My educated guess would be they started with Linux and if they wanna switch to BSD, its time comsuming, costly and huge load of work, or simply BSD is not good for cluster?
Google uses $BSD too, e.g. for their Android they are using the libc of NetBSD etc. And even Firefox 3 uses FreeBSD jemalloc because it's the best of the best. So well, there is hype and on the other hand there is reality without hype Do you need some more examples? There are lots of it. $BSD is the calm giant
Old 10th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemera View Post
if you are asking about the linux distro google is using then i think your missed the point.
Ah you mean it shoudnt be a distro because it is pure Linux kernel with some google application on top?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_H View Post
Google uses $BSD too, e.g. for their Android they are using the libc of NetBSD etc. And even Firefox 3 uses FreeBSD jemalloc because it's the best of the best. So well, there is hype and on the other hand there is reality without hype Do you need some more examples? There are lots of it. $BSD is the calm giant
I'd love to. More stories about the calm giant pls
Arp Constable

I'll need to download it and give it a test some time :-)

Slackware is one of my favorite GNU/Linux distros and one of the few I respect. But unfortunaley its last couple major version #'s didn't like my current hardware, and every thing else is too full of BSD ;-)

The only machine I have that has room for a Linxu distro, is pissed on by most distros... Only Knoppix, Ubuntu, and FreeBSD (since 6.0-Release) have actually liked that machine.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 10th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Switch to latest OpenSolaris.
As they say, what Ubuntu tries to be.

Am a hard advocate of Slackware, only Linux distro to use Linus' Linux kernel.
New User

I started with Slackware 8 then used 8.1 then 9, and then 9.1 and I found no change in any of them except for new packages and expanding on 2 cds, and a few new startup scripts to detect hardware and load modules.

Is it same or any changes ?