DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th November 2008
vigol

Default CVSup src-all update and relevant ports

Hi , ... Well, there's some sort of ports in /usr/ports path, like gnome*, MySQL, Ooo,... with a huge Source File Size --in a Dilaup 56 Concept!--.
My problem engaged with src-all AND/OR some sub cats like src-contrib/src-gnu ... :

Does CVSup download these 3rd-party sources, i.e. Ooo , MySQL ... -- According to existence in ports tree -- or just adhere to the main/vital FreeBSD source?

I hope it doesn't, but if it does, how can I disable fetching of these sources? and then, can I introduce some of my source packages that I downloaded beforehand, like apache/mysql,... to my CVSup setting/Conf file?

By the way, I thinks I should post it to FreeBSD/FreeBSD Ports and Packages Forum, sorry for mistake
thanks all the same

Last edited by vigol; 18th November 2008 at 07:26 AM. Reason: wrong forum posted
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th November 2008
Arp Constable

You'll get just what you ask for.

A little table to show it:
Code:
src-all        =     src
ports-all      =     ports
doc-all        =     doc
where in this table, the RHS == collection line in the supfile, LHS == directory to fetch from CVS (essentially) that relates to said collection. The other collections available generally follow the same concept, e.g. src-usrbin will nab sc/usr.bin; everything of interest can be found in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/

Thus, if I put this in a supfile:

Code:
*default prefix=/usr
src-all tag=RELENG_7
ports-all tag=.
doc-all tag=.
I would expect a call to csup/cvsup with it to result in /usr/{src,doc,ports} containing the comparable items from CVS. If not, I'd kick myself for not reading the manual more thoroughly ;-)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th November 2008
Risen from the ashes

csup'ing the ports tree doesn't download any source code for the apps in the tree. All it downloads are the Makefiles and patches that make up the ports tree. Source code is only downloaded when you *build* or *install* the app, using the ports tree.

Remember, the ports tree is just a framework for downloading, patching, compiling, and installing software. It's just a bunch of Makefiles. The entire ports tree, uncompressed, is only about 70 MBs.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th November 2008
Coffee Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
The entire ports tree, uncompressed, is only about 70 MBs.
It's actually around 420 MB.
Code:
$ du -hs -I distfiles -I packages /usr/ports
457M    /usr/ports
That includes a ~32 MB portupgrade database and a few little modifications of my own. The INDEX file is ~18 MB alone.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th November 2008
Risen from the ashes

Hrm, you're right. It's been awhile since I had a virgin ports tree, so didn't take the size in df of mine as being representative. Guess there's some extra stuff in some of the files/ directories.

At least the ports tarball that can be downloaded is still under 100 MB. And the initial portsnap tarball is still only around 50 MB.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th November 2008
Coffee Addict

Some of the real culprits are pkg-plists. There are a few that are over 1 MB. In fact, 91 of the top 100 largest files in the ports tree are pkg-plists. To put things in perspective, bsd.port.mk is not in the top 100. And yes, I am bored and had nothing better to do.

Tags
cvs, cvsup, source, src-all, update