DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Lightbulb Multi Boot Fedora 9sulphur), centOS and FreeBSD

I have a Hap Pavillion =a623n wq=which i have already installed Fedora sulphur on, and would like to triple boot with FreeBSD and CentOS. Is this posible. How shopuld i go About adoing this (I.E. should I install Centos and then FreeBSD or vise versa). Will gru=b boo linux and FreeBSD Or should I use eithe the BSDF Boot manager or GAG. Will I be abkle to share a home partiton formated in Extension 3 between The two linux disrtibutions and BSD or wil i have to have Fat 16, 32 or UFS home partition for all three oses to share?

Update

I have Installed Ubuntu and Successfully virtualized Windows XP Pro ( Needed for school work) and plan to add Windows Server 2003 (needed for class as well), Fedora 8 or 9. Open Solaris, Free bsd and possibly Debian Etc (for recreational purposes.
Windows = a 32 bit extensions to a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a four bit processor written by 2-bit monopolistic software company founded by a .3-bit Harvard Drop out, who can't stand one respectable bit of competition.
If I believe something to be immoral a will not keep quite and let my voice of annoyance be heard loud and clear.

Last edited by FloridaBSD; 5th August 2008 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Solved
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Fault language? Did you do it on purpose?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Port Guard

Maybe he was using script...
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
Arp Constable

My advice:

install GAG

Install Operating Systems in any desired order

Install FreeBSD, leave the MBR untouched

Install Fedora, install GRUB into Fedoras /

Install CentOS, install GRUB into CentOSes /

Tell GAG which partition is which as necessary.

Sharing files will best be done via ext2 or ext3 for the partiton, yes you can share the / as long as config files don't cause problems with any system specifics (e.g. running KDE/Gnome on all three).

FreeBSD mounts ext3 as ext2 which means without journaling.

I would suggest partitioning as some thing like:

primary partition 1 -> some OS
primary partition 2 -> some OS
primary partition 3 -> some OS
extended partition ->
-> logical drive -> linux swap
-> logical drive -> /home for all systems
-> logical drive -> general purpose storage/recovery formated FAT32 (if there is disk space enough)

depending on what you need and want

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Thanks, how ever i have tried Fedora and would rather prefer to do TerryP's suggested partion scheme accept with Slack ware 11 , FreeBSD and CsntOS, oh and BTW I happen to have two hard-drives one of which in particular the 400gb one will be used a s the /home partition.
Windows = a 32 bit extensions to a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a four bit processor written by 2-bit monopolistic software company founded by a .3-bit Harvard Drop out, who can't stand one respectable bit of competition.
If I believe something to be immoral a will not keep quite and let my voice of annoyance be heard loud and clear.

Tags
centos, duel booting, fedroa, frreebsd, gnulinux