DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

Old 20th August 2013
Port Guard

Well normally I'd avoid an RC release, but in this case I might give it a go. (I'm having some wireless problems with FreeBSD 8.4 using the bwi driver and the firmware. I had similar problems with the same broadcom firmware with Linux and building a newer kernel and getting newer firmware resolved it - so I'm hoping (perhaps in vain) that FreeBSD 9.x will have both a newer bwi driver and firmware.)

)Really rusty at this... need to find out how to enable a repository as pkg_add is not working, but I can build most ports ok (haven't upgraded the ports yet...).) //edit 21/08/13: pkg_add is working, I was trying to install "firefox" instead of "firefox-esr".

Thanks

//edit: Almost forgot - one of the threads I looked at mentioned changing the SATA controller from IDE to AHCI or vice versa. Will try that as well.

Last edited by caravel; 21st August 2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 6th September 2013
Port Guard

So I installed 9.2 RC3 using my existing partitioning from 8.4. I only had to delete my / partition and recreate it. Now it boots fine... I'm not sure whether that was down to some change in 9.2 or due to reusing the partitions from 8.4...?
Old 9th September 2013
Port Guard

OK, I decided I didn't want to run 9.2 RC3, as I'm a noob at this and don't want to deal with any potential problems (yet). I decided to try and install 9.1, once again reusing the existing partitions and mbr originally created when I installed 8.4. It worked.

So it seems like the the problem is in the mbr/boot sector/partition table which the 9.1 installer creates (and that my system BIOS doesn't like it).