DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th August 2018
New User

Default building m:tier-like -stable package updates

Hello daemonforums.org, hello fellow OpenBSD users!

I am currently in the process of replacing some linux-bases machines with OpenBSD. On some I can neither run -current, compile ports directly, or use m:tiers service. This leaves me with building my own -stable packages.

I am in the process of familiarizing myself with dpb and proot and able to build updates for a subset of packages I provide .

However, I wonder how to keep track of which ports need updating and how to build different subsets of packages for different hosts in a semi-automated fashion.

One way I could think about is to build the whole tree (is that even possible?) and then just sequentially pull cvs and rebuild, but man dpb even talks about
Code:
dpb -R
failing in certain situations.

In the end i am looking for a m:tier-like solution i can run in an closed environment.

I would be grateful for any hints or tips, thanks.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th August 2018
OpenBSD language porter

Provided you're diligent in keeping your -stable ports tree up to date with CVS, are you looking for something like PORTSDIR/infrastructure/bin/pkg_outdated?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th August 2018
Spam Deminer

pkg_outdated compares to installed ports. So your build machine would need all the ports you use to be installed.

My production systems use few enough ports that I just monitor cvs for changes and rebuild when something I use or depend on changes.

Use proot(1) to keep the ports builds isolated from the build machine's installed packages.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st August 2018
More noise than signal

At 6.3, the tool is out-of-date(1), found in /usr/ports/infrastructure/bin. At -current, this was renamed to pkg_outdated(1), as mentioned above.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd September 2018
New User

Thanks for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD View Post
pkg_outdated compares to installed ports. So your build machine would need all the ports you use to be installed.

My production systems use few enough ports that I just monitor cvs for changes and rebuild when something I use or depend on changes.

Use proot(1) to keep the ports builds isolated from the build machine's installed packages.
I see. Is there some standard way to monitor cvs-changes beside manual looking at / parsing cvs -qn up ..?
I also wonder if dpb is able to use pkg_add to fetch build-dependencies - FETCH_PACKAGES=yes in mk.conf seems to have no effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
At 6.3, the tool is out-of-date(1), found in /usr/ports/infrastructure/bin. At -current, this was renamed to pkg_outdated(1), as mentioned above.
Thanks, but the build-machine itself will not have any packages installed.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd September 2018
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by octohex View Post
Thanks for your replies.

I see. Is there some standard way to monitor cvs-changes beside manual looking at / parsing cvs -qn up ..?
I also wonder if dpb is able to use pkg_add to fetch build-dependencies - FETCH_PACKAGES=yes in mk.conf seems to have no effect.
You also have to set PKG_PATH, it doesn't work with just /etc/installurl. Not sure if dpb uses FETCH_PACKAGES, though.

I just run 'cvs -qn up' in /etc/daily.local and manually look at it. I suppose you could script a build trigger from there but tracking all the transient dependencies might be tedious.

dpb won't build a version that is already built, so you could probably so just 'cvs up' and run dpb every day. Let 'pkg_add -n' on the clients tell you when there is a new package. I don't do this only because I didn't want to script cleaning up previous versions of packages. I just blow everything away and rebuild. I sign, too so need to enter a passphrase anyway.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2018
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD View Post
You also have to set PKG_PATH, it doesn't work with just /etc/installurl. Not sure if dpb uses FETCH_PACKAGES, though.
I did, and actualy tried to use pkg_add in the chroot which works. Seems like dpb just does not support FETCH_PACKAGES at the moment (tweak_args in infrastructure/lib/DPB/Job/Port.pm seems to be responsible for this)
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th November 2018
New User

FETCH_PACKAGES=Yes works with or without PKG_PATH.

When specified manually while building a port, it works (for example):

Code:
make FETCH_PACKAGES=Yes install
However, when specified in /etc/mk.conf or as an environment variable, it has no effect.

This seems like a bug, since 'man ports' implies that FETCH_PACKAGES should work in those contexts.