DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2012
Multi-OS Guy

Default NetBSD worked in KVM on F16 but fails to boot in F17

A couple weeks ago I finally decided to get back to NetBSD. I downloaded the iso, installed it in a virtual machine on my Fedora 16 Linux host and began setting it up the way I like a system setup.

But since I upgraded the host to F17, I haven't been able to run it. It seems like the bug has to be a Fedora or KVM (linux-kvm.org) bug--not NetBSD--since even this simple command to execute the installation iso fails the same way:
Code:
qemu-kvm -boot c -cdrom amd64cd-5.1.2.iso &
I posted a bug in Red Hat's bugzilla. I tried to post this as a clickable URL, but there's an inane forum rule that prevents it, so you'll have to copy and paste:
bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=830261

Has anyone else experienced it, or can anyone think of a possible work-around?

Also, even though it's probably a Fedora bug, NetBSD seems to be the only OS affected, so should I post a NetBSD bug also?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
Also, even though it's probably a Fedora bug, NetBSD seems to be the only OS affected, so should I post a NetBSD bug also?
It may be advisable to post to NetBSD's netbsd-users@ mailing list as there will be a larger assemblage of knowledgable types there. Information on subscribing can be found at the following:

http://netbsd.org/mailinglists/

As for filing a bug, I would recommend waiting to see what direction comes from any responses received from Red Hat or netbsd-users@.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th June 2012
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
A couple weeks ago I finally decided to get back to NetBSD. I downloaded the iso, installed it in a virtual machine on my Fedora 16 Linux host and began setting it up the way I like a system setup.

But since I upgraded the host to F17, I haven't been able to run it. It seems like the bug has to be a Fedora or KVM (linux-kvm.org) bug--not NetBSD--since even this simple command to execute the installation iso fails the same way:
Code:
qemu-kvm -boot c -cdrom amd64cd-5.1.2.iso &

Has anyone else experienced it, or can anyone think of a possible work-around?
I am on Slackware, with a recent qemu-kvm from source.

I have to specify -no-acpi to boot NetBSD 6 Beta (amd64 and i386) and NetBSD -current.

Code:
qemu-system-x86_64 -no-acpi -m 512 -cdrom netbsd-6-amd64-beta.iso -boot c
Having said that, as far as I remember I didn't have that problem with 5.1.2.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd June 2012
New User

Boot without acpi and build a custom kernel to use legacy ISA video with:

vga0 at isa?

That might work.