DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Default Multiple Locations

After reading ifconfig(8) and hostname.if(5) I am still unsure if its possible to insert mulitple settings into my hostname.wpi0 file.

Currently I have it set to use my home network settings. But do I need to change it each time I go to a new location or is there a way to set this once and then when I enter new airspace it will connect automatically.

I often visit a coffee shop in the morning and would like to connect automatically if possible.

I have searched the forums to no avail, but probably have not entered the correct question.

divadgnol67
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by divadgnol67 View Post
After reading ifconfig(8) and hostname.if(5) I am still unsure if its possible to insert mulitple settings into my hostname.wpi0 file.
No, the purpose of the /etc/hostname.if file is to define a single default.

If you have several configurations which are repeatedly used, my suggestion would be to put the most frequently used in /etc/hostname.if, and the others indivdually into shell scripts such that you can switch about with a minimum of effort.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2010
Fdisk Soldier

@ocicat,

Thanks. On the ride home I was thinking about creating shell scripts to do just that.

divadgnol67
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2010
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by divadgnol67 View Post
@ocicat,

Thanks. On the ride home I was thinking about creating shell scripts to do just that.

divadgnol67
I use little shell scripts to switch from wired networking to 3G USB dongle (for mobile broadband networking). It's so straightforward and robust, you wonder why they don't do it that way at Mickeysoft, all you'd need is a few shortcuts on the enduser desktop