DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th October 2010
Custom User

Default Subnotebook OpenBSD

Hey gang, I was just starting this thread to collect some success stories about people using OpenBSD on laptops / computers subnotebook or smaller. I would consider subnotebook anything 11 inches and smaller.

I use Open on a Dell Vostro A90 and Dell Zino right now, and in the past I've had it on the Zaurus 3200, OQO Model 1 and the Fujitsu Lifebook P1120.

Anyone else out there had some good experiences with smaller size machines?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th October 2010
Custom User

As a side note, I'm wondering if anyone has had success with the Vaio P?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th October 2010
Banned

While you can ask for specifics here, or search the mailing lists, the most definitive way of gauging hardware support is to boot OpenBSD on said hardware and formulate your own opinion.

I can say that OpenBSD has support for a lot of hardware, but certainly there still are some corner cases.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th October 2010
More noise than signal

I'm responding right now from an Asus Eee netbook, a 1005HA. Single core Atom, works fine. 1024x600 screen needs no xorg.conf. athn(4) Wifi works fine. Even the built in USB camera works. As does the ACPI suspend/resume that will be in 4.8 on November 1.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th October 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsean View Post
I was just starting this thread to collect some success stories about people using OpenBSD on laptops / computers subnotebook or smaller.
At this point, i386 netbooks are fairly mainstream, so basic functionality shouldn't be an issue. Wireless may or may not work, but this isn't altogether surprising.
  • I have one of the original 7-inch Asus 701 Eee PC's, & it works fine outside of wireless.
  • I also have an 9-inch HP mini. While someone on misc@ claimed everything worked (including wireless), everything worked for me except for wireless. Comparing my dmesg(8) output against what was posted on misc@, I had a newer BIOS & a different wireless chipset.
Manufacturers do not always use the same components throughout a model's lifetime. They are at the mercy of their suppliers, & manufacturers tend to go with where they can get the best price.

So for those in the market for new hardware, either take a USB drive configured to install OpenBSD, take one of jggimi's Live CD's, or do business with vendors who will take the laptop/netbook back with a RMA. However, be sure to understand the restrictions/requirements of the return policy before purchasing.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2010
Custom User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
I'm responding right now from an Asus Eee netbook, a 1005HA. Single core Atom, works fine. 1024x600 screen needs no xorg.conf. athn(4) Wifi works fine. Even the built in USB camera works. As does the ACPI suspend/resume that will be in 4.8 on November 1.
Thanks for the heads up jggimi! I don't really keep track of what's been worked on in -current, and didn't know that athn wifi was working.

Sure enough, I tried it out on my U820 lifebook (it came from factory with an HB92 in it) and it works!
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2010
Port Guard

I've been using OpenBSD 4.3 through 4.6 on Medion SIM 2000 and SAM 2000, everything works 100%.

Hopefully will have time to upgrade to 4.8 :-)

My big rig is still on 4.4 :-(