DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th April 2010
New User

Default help needed

I have problems with open source. I have a Dell Inspiron 537 n series which came with Ubuntu 9.04 installed. The ethernet adaptor is a Realtek 8169/8169S/8110S based PCI adapter (re). I have been unable to download
Desktop BSD, PC BSD, and every livecd that I have attempted including Gparted. I have been able to download OpenBSD 4.6 and FreeBSD 8.0, but I can't make them work either. With OpenBSD I used dhcp for my cable modem
and it got results, but I could not get anywhere with the ethernet card. When it was loaded, I could ping websites, but I could not get into the ftp site to obtain packages (not found). As for FreeBSD, I could not
find a combination of addresses that would get me to the internet. Rtfm? I have, and have read much of, three books on UNIX, five books on FreeBSD, two books on BSD, and one book on OpenBSD. Any help out there? I
also have a suggestion for a new category for the forum to consider. Troubleshooting. When a person has a problem, he could post in Troubleshooting. Anyone who wants to help, but without a verbose explanation, could
suggest page number and chapter number in a book or the Handbook or FAQ.

Thanks for your consideration.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th April 2010
Administrator

The OpenBSD installation procedure is described in http://openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html
Where did you get stuck?

Re: troubleshooting section

Nearly all forums sections are about troubleshooting, so IMHO no special section for that purpose is needed
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th April 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelmaster View Post
With OpenBSD I used dhcp for my cable modem
and it got results, but I could not get anywhere with the ethernet card.
Are you connecting to your cable modem via an Ethernet cable? Please provide the complete output of the following command:

$ ifconfig
Quote:
When it was loaded, I could ping websites, but I could not get into the ftp site to obtain packages (not found).
Be sure to read & understand Section 15.2 of the FAQ, first. If you still have questions, provide the value of the following:

$ echo $PKG_PATH

Lastly, tell us which mirror site you were using.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th April 2010
New User

Default Slow progress

Thanks for the advice on ifconfig. Below is the result for Ubuntu and the addresses for eth1 are the same as those for OpenBSD 4.6.

Code:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:25:64:04:50:e9  
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:253 Base address:0xa000 

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:08:0e:c5:d0:e3  
          inet addr:67........  Bcast:67.........  Mask:255.........
          inet6 addr: fe80::208:eff:fec5:d0e3/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:338 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:35 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:18804 (18.8 KB)  TX bytes:5280 (5.2 KB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:480 (480.0 B)  TX bytes:480 (480.0 B)
Following is the result of OpenBSD ifconfig. Since I could not print it out, I copied what I thought was necessary.

Code:
re0   flags=8843<up,broadcast,running,simplex,multicast> mtu 1500
      lladder all0
      media: ethernet autoselect (none)
      inet 67........  Mask:hex  Bcast:67.........

cdce0 flags=8843<up,broadcast,running,simplex,multicast> mtu 1500
      groups: dhcp egress
      inet 67........  Mask:hex(different than re0)  Bcast:67.........
I loaded OpenBSD two different ways since my posting. First I configured just the cable modem. Next I configured both the cable modem, cdce0, using dhcp, and the ethernet card, re0, using addresses from Ubuntu. I could ping websites,
but I could not get into the OpenBSD ftp site to obtain packages (not found). But with both of the above mentioned loading methods I could get into a FreeBSD site. I was connected to moss.cse.buffaloedu. This is one reason I didn't
include the above information completely. I forgot to enter echo $pkg_path. To get to this forum I have to reload Ubuntu.

Tanks again.

Last edited by Carpetsmoker; 2nd May 2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Add [code] tags
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th April 2010
Administrator

Quote:
I could ping websites,
but I could not get into the OpenBSD ftp site to obtain packages (not found).
Two questions:
  • What mirrors are you using?
  • How are you attempting to obtain packages?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th April 2010
New User

Here is what I entered: "//ftp.openbsd.org/pub/openbsd/4.6/packages/" and "pkg_add
-v ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/openbsd/4.6/packages/i386/<package>".

However, when I entered "ftp -a ftp2.freebsd.org" I was connected to "moss.cse.buffalo.edu".

I have an openbsd 4.6 disc I downloaded from the internet. And no, I did not do a checksum. That's beyond my capabilies presently.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th April 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Here is what I entered: "//ftp.openbsd.org/pub/openbsd/4.6/packages/" and "pkg_add
-v ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/openbsd/4.6/packages/i386/<package>".
If you are manually connecting to an ftp site followed by issuing pkg_add(1), this is incorrect. Section 15.2 of the FAQ describes the necessary sequence of steps.
  • You will get a faster response if you connect to a mirror site geographically close to you. The list of available mirrors can be found at the following:

http://openbsd.org/ftp.html
  • As an example, if the master site is closest, assign PKG_PATH:

$ export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.6/packages/i386/

The path is case-sensitve. If you defined the path as quoted above using all lowercase characters, this may be the reason you received a "not found" response.
  • The export command used is specific to the shell where the command was issued. pkg_add(1) must be executed as root. This can be done in one of three ways:
    • Use su(1).
    • Use sudo(8) (preferred).
    For example, if you want to install Python, which is primarily defined by python-2.5.4p1.tgz, issue the following:

$ echo $PKG_PATH

This should display the exact string entered earlier. Now, install the desired application via pkg_add(1):

$ sudo pkg_add -v python-2.5.4p1
  • If you have problems with sudo(8), respond back & one of us will help with its configuration. Otherwise as a temporary fix, you can log in as root, ensure that PKG_PATH is correctly set, followed by issuing the pkg_add(1) command. Recognize that routinely logging in as root is not considered a best practice in the Unix world.
Again, the FAQ can be your friend.
Quote:
However, when I entered "ftp -a ftp2.freebsd.org" I was connected to "moss.cse.buffalo.edu".
To promote clarify & avoid confusion, we will continue to discuss package installation on OpenBSD in this thread. If you want to discuss installing applications on FreeBSD, start a new thread in the FreeBSD forae at this same site.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2010
New User

Default help needed

Thanks for the help. I am slowly progressing. # export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.6/packages/i386/ worked for me, and when entering # echo $PKG_PATH, the exact string was displayed but, for whatever reason, not always. I also noticed that the PKG_PATH did not carry over when you shut the power off. When I entered pkg_add Mozilla* and Firefox* though, they were not loaded saying something like "unable to resolve". Also, when these files are loaded there has got to be something done in way of configuration. They do not just start functioning automatically, do they? When I browsed a mirror site in Ubuntu, the instructions said connect to the site and go into the directory pub/OpenBSD/4.6/ and this is a list of files you will see. I could not get into that directory let alone download a file. Following are a few more questions I need answers to. I often see read the README file, but I still do not know how to display a README file. When I do not get any results from a command, I see ksh: before the reason for failure. Does this mean I have to be in the korn shell to use that command? My immediate goal is to install a window manager, a desktop, and a browser so that BSD can be functional for me while I learn the intricacies of the OpenBSD shell way of life. Recently I downloaded the Jiggmi OpenBSD live cd and when I booted it the result was the same as OpenBSD on my hard drive. Although the cd was named Firefox only fvwm was displayed when I entered startx. Booting up a linux live cd gives you a Mozilla desktop and a Firefox browser. Last but certainly not least is a security question when it comes to live cds. When making a financial transaction wouldn't the most secure way be by using a live cd since only ram is used? Thanks again.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2010
Administrator

Quote:
I also noticed that the PKG_PATH did not carry over when you shut the power off.
Correct. If you want to only set PKG_PATH once, you will need to insert it into ~/.profile. Be aware that there are occasions where you may want to use a different mirror.
Quote:
When I entered pkg_add Mozilla* and Firefox* though, they were not loaded saying something like "unable to resolve".
Wildcards are not allowed. You will find the names of the available packages in Section 15.2.3 of the FAQ. In particular, for the i386 platform on OpenBSD 4.6, this list can be found at the following:

http://www.openbsd.org/4.6_packages/i386.html

Be aware that the versions of packages are tightly bound to the version of the operating system. Only OpenBSD 4.6 packages can be installed on OpenBSD 4.6. Mixing & matching versions is not supported by the project.
Quote:
Also, when these files are loaded there has got to be something done in way of configuration. They do not just start functioning automatically, do they?
This is dependent upon the package installed. If additional manual configuration is required, information will be displayed at the end of installation. There are very general statements, if you will share what specific packages you have questions about, more specific answers may be provided.

Yet to your question about "starting", the answer is "no". Installing Firefox does not mean that an instance of the application will be invoked at the end of installation.
Quote:
I often see read the README file, but I still do not know how to display a README file.
You can use pagers such as more(1), less(1), or any editor. It sounds like you are new to the Unix environment. If you don't find these topics covered in the books previously mentioned, it would be highly worth your while to go to a library or bookstore & find one that does. As for editors, both mg(1) & vi(1) are available in the base installation. Others can be found in packages.
Quote:
When I do not get any results from a command, I see ksh: before the reason for failure. Does this mean I have to be in the korn shell to use that command?
Your question is unclear. Please explain further.
Quote:
My immediate goal is to install a window manager, a desktop, and a browser so that BSD can be functional for me while I learn the intricacies of the OpenBSD shell way of life.
X & a window manager are not required to use a shell, however, fvwm(1) will be configured by default if X was installed at installation time. Other window managers are available ranging from heavyweight environments such as GNOME & KDE or lighter weight window managers such as fluxbox. There are lots of window managers, & many are available in packages. A common site for viewing different managers can be found at the following:

http://xwinman.org/
Quote:
Last but certainly not least is a security question when it comes to live cds. When making a financial transaction wouldn't the most secure way be by using a live cd since only ram is used?
While concerns about residual information being retained on a hard drive might be an issue, it is more important to look at the security of the network connection. As an example, banking should never be done over a wireless connection as the traffic is very easy to sniff, & sites accessed through an access point can be easily spoofed.

Tags
pkg_path