DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 9th May 2008
New User

He needs to install linuxflash7 and linux firefox or linuxopera to get it working.
Old 9th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

No, he doesn't. Linux flash works fine with all the BSD-native browsers if nspluginwrapper is used.
Old 9th May 2008
Port Guard

robbak i tried heading to that file directory and installing. it requested root creds and i logged in and got an error.

Quote:
===> Switching to root credentials to write /var/db/ports/linux-flashplugin/options
Password:
===> returning to user credentials
===> found saved configuration for linux-flashplugin07.0r73
mkdir: /usr/ports/distfiles: Permission denied
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/linux-flashplugin7.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/linux-flashplaugin7.
,mycommandline@myname /dir/../../../../]$
Old 9th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Were you root or su when you started the "make install clean"? You need to be. It looks like you were prompted for the su password for the single step, returned to user (like it says), and then were unable to write into /usr/ports. That is how it should be.

Also, it shows that you have a configuration file for flash already. What does
"ls /var/db/pkg | grep flash" (without the quotes) return?
Old 9th May 2008
Port Guard

well right now im logged in as a user. when i try logging in as rootassword it says that im not allowed to login from the main screen? or something like that. im not to sure by what u mean SU. but i put in ls /var/ etc...... and it just gave me a new command line. like it didnt do anything, it gave me the same results i would get if i had hit enter. so i cd to those directories. i didnt see the package grep flash.
Old 9th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

If you get a prompt as the reply to a command, then it completed. In this case, you asked it to list the contents of a directory, and return any files that match the string "flash." Since you received no output, no strings were matched, so you have no installed programs with the string flash. Odd. I don't know why you would have an options file and no installed program.

On the other, just type "su" at the command line. You should get back a prompt for your root password, and then you are acting as root. "su" means superuser.

You really ought to learn some of the basic command-line commands. grep (and its family members) is very powerful once you understand what it does. Regular expressions in general make Unix Unix (overlooking the proper definition of Unix for the moment).
Old 9th May 2008
Port Guard

For security reasons, FreeBSD won't let just anybody to install software. That's why you need to be root when installing software. That is of course not the only time you need to be root.
Old 9th May 2008
Port Guard

so could the reason why absolutely NO package works when im using my package manager to install packages because im not logged in as root? i manually checked the server for the linux-flashplugin 7 and it wasnt even on there. but it might be strangely hidden or some thing. i have no idea.
Old 9th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

We are slowly walking you through FreeBSD's "package manager," unless you want to use pkg_add instead. If you tried to use something else, that is not FreeBSD, so I have no idea how it is set up. However, if you are not prompted for a root password at some point it probably does expect you to be root.
Old 9th May 2008
Port Guard

well i have tried the package manager DesktopBSD came with. and BSD in general comes with. but every single package i try to install doesnt work. i get an error. keep in mind that this is for every package. when i boot up my PC i have to login as my main user. when i try root it tells me im not allowed to login as root from the main screen. i CAN however su from terminal. cause i just whoami'd and it says im root. i would like to try pkg_add. if you could tell me how to get and install the flashplugin from terminal that may be more efficient and work. but as far as i know now, i cant connect to the FTP server the package is being hosted off of... which i browsed through manually and didnt even see it on there.
Old 9th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

The DesktopBSD package manager is *not* a general part of BSD. It can be installed as a port, but I never have. If you have questions on how it works, you really should post it in a different group on this board ("other bsd"?).

FreeBSD uses a terminal window (or a console) when you are root (either by logging in as root or executing the "su" command), and using the commands for ports or packages.

You can try a simple "pkg_add -r linux-flashplugin", but I don't know how anything else is set up on your computer. It will connect if you are pointing to the right repository -- I just tried it. I'd suggest you install the port as was suggested above. In addition to the plugin, you will install nspluginwrapper and the linux emulation layer. Then you will have to edit a couple of files, and add a few symbolic links (maybe).

If you have specific questions on pkg_add, please do read the man page first: "man pkg_add".
Old 9th May 2008
Port Guard

yea i just tried package add. im connecting to ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/po...elease/Latest/ and linux-flashplugin.tbz isnt in there, it cant find it like i said before. is there any possible alt route i could take into getting this online. any other website holding this package?
Old 9th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

It seems that there is no package. Then you have to install the port, which grabs the file from Adobe/Macromedia. That may be why there is no package.
Old 9th May 2008
Port Guard

how would i install the port
Old 9th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

See message 19 of this thread.
Old 9th May 2008
Port Guard

ok, so i downloaded and im sure i installed flashplugin. but.. right now, its been downloading other packages... are these actually needed... or is it just downloading all the packages on the server?
I cd /usr/ports/www/linux-flashplugin7 && make install clean and its downloading packages still
Old 10th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

As I mentioned earlier, you will install nspluginwrapper and the linux emulation layer. The port installs those automatically. To actually use flash, you need these things. Otherwise, you would have flash installed and it would not work. What's the point of that?
Old 10th May 2008
Port Guard

no when i mean allot of packages, i mean it was speed installing close to 100+ packages. fontlibsndis-2.0 some crap like that. the MD5 checksums were all ok. but then at the end of it all it gave me the error code 1 on the flashplugin. so im pretty fricken sure it still didnt work.
Old 10th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

The linux compat layer has to install a *lot* of libraries. You may wish simply to install linux-base-fc-4 if it has not installed to see all that it involves. It is substantial.

Without an error message there is nothing that can be done to help you. And using a diluted expletive is not helpful either.