DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2015
New User

Default Soft power button doesn't power down

Hi,

I have a landisk with OpenBSD 5.6. I want the soft power button to power off the system. I added
Code:
hw.allowpowerdown=1
to /etc/sysctl.conf.
The system shuts down, but the power led keeps burning and the HDD keeps spinning.
If I type
Code:
halt -p
at the CLI, I get the correct behaviour: the led turns off and the HDD stops spinning.

So how can I make the soft power button act like "halt -p"?

Regards.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2015
Arp Constable

One factor is whether the bios uses apm, found in older i386 systems, or acpi in amd64. By default, i386 systems use apm while the default in amd64 systems is acpi. If your system is a newer i386 using acpi, you need to disable apm either by using <UKC> or in a custom kernel.

More here in this prior thread

Last edited by shep; 10th May 2015 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Added prior thread
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2015
New User

Dear shep,

Neither I have an i386 nor an amd64. I have a 'landisk' platform (Plextor PX-EH16L). This is a NAS of about 10 years old, which uses some odd Hitachi CPU. I don't have a connection for a keyboard, mouse nor monitor. I can only access the NAS via ssh. So actually it is an embedded system.

So I don't know anything about the BIOS of this system and how to access it. Do you still have some suggestions what I could try with my odd architecture?

Regards.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2015
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffonz View Post
Dear shep,

Neither I have an i386 nor an amd64. I have a 'landisk' platform (Plextor PX-EH16L). This is a NAS of about 10 years old, which uses some odd Hitachi CPU. I don't have a connection for a keyboard, mouse nor monitor. I can only access the NAS via ssh. So actually it is an embedded system.

So I don't know anything about the BIOS of this system and how to access it. Do you still have some suggestions what I could try with my odd architecture?

Regards.
Sorry, I thought you were referring to a Local Area Network Storage system. I can't help you with the bios but you may want to review the available power management options in <UKC> and if there is a choice, try temporary disabling the default.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2015
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
One factor is whether the bios uses apm, found in older i386 systems, or acpi in amd64. By default, i386 systems use apm while the default in amd64 systems is acpi.
My understanding is different. Any i386 platforms with both apm(4) and acpi(4) hardware will be assigned the appropriate driver based on a complex heuristic, which has changed over time. In brief: uniprocessors with older smbios versions will use APM. But there are also quirks for specific platforms.

References:

http://www.openbsd.org/papers/zzz-presentation.pdf
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=124545473209570&w=2
http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cv...86/i386/bios.c