DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General Hardware

General Hardware General hardware related questions.

View Poll Results: Most reliable?
Seagate 5 16.67%
Western Digital 15 50.00%
Maxtor 4 13.33%
Hitachi 3 10.00%
Toshiba 0 0%
Samsung 0 0%
Quantum 1 3.33%
other ... 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th August 2009
Shell Scout

Manufacturer Agnostic here. Since 1982 (before PCs) I have seen all of them have bad runs of drives. I have had very very few fail over the years.

The new drives now have a MTBF of 1,000,000 hours, which is roughly 114 years. Like Vermaden mentioned, seek time is a big factor, and you have idiots who won't buy a drive because it runs at 5400 RPM, which is cooler anyway, and if the access time is better rotational speed means nothing (except more heat).

-Tim
Old 12th August 2009
Port Guard

I have always had issues with WD caviar drives. Everyone I have ever had has crashed and burned. Maxtor and Seagate I have never had issues with. I believe I have an old Samsung drive around here that is about a 500mb drive that still works perfectly. I'll have to find that drive to make sure it is a Samsung though
Old 14th August 2009
Knuth's homeboy

I just came across this article: http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=864058
(Somewhat offtopic but interesting nevertheless.)
Old 14th August 2009
Administrator

@ephemera

After you article/link I just recalled Google report on disk failures according to their working temperature:
http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 21st August 2009
Port Guard

I have had a particular WD hard drive for 8 years now which has been under fairly heavy usage for most of that time and only recently has it started firing warning shots by spinning down when it gets too hot. If a hard drive is going to fail it should do so with kindness by giving you some cautionary advice, and that's just what WD appears to do.

Having said that, like most people here I don't have any particularly bad experiences with any other hard disk vendor.
Old 28th January 2010
Fdisk Soldier

FWIW I've had problems with WD and success with Seagate. My stratagy (if you can call it that) is to buy drives that are 'old fashioned', in other words mature technologies. This means they tend to be at the small end of the available size range.

I may well be mistaken, but I understood SCSI disks to be mechanically the same as the equivalent IDE drives. Perhaps the smarter SCSI electronics make the life of the mechanical parts easier. If not then why would they be better?
Old 28th January 2010
More noise than signal

No, the difference is in the channel technology.
  • A SCSI bus allows simultaneous transfers between the host and multiple targets. So your OS can read from one disk while writing to another, which is the biggest advantage. In addition, one can string many devices onto a single SCSI bus, if necessary. In addition, the SCSI bus can be shared by multiple computing systems -- allowing for shared storage systems, but not shared devices.
  • IDE is limited to a communicating with a single device at a time, and has a maximum of two peripheral devices per bus, with a single host.
Old 28th January 2010
Administrator

Failure drives for sure:
http://silentpcreview.com/Terabyte_Drive_Fix

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
Old 17th March 2010
Port Guard

I dont even know which harddisk brand I have. But never got any problems with it.
Old 18th March 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by welkin View Post
I dont even know which harddisk brand I have.
You should find information within your dmesg(8) output.
Old 5th April 2010
Port Guard

Over the years i have had computers, the only hard drives I have ever had issues with over the years were all made by WD. I still have a 500mb Samsung drive that works perfectly, and I have never had any issues with Seagate or Maxtor. My main system have been running a Maxtor or Seagate drive for the last 10 years and I have yet to have one fail. I have tried a few WD drives out and they have all failed in one of my other systems and have had to replace them time and time again to the point where I will never use another WD made drive again
Old 8th April 2010
Shell Scout

Have been using Seagate for approx 20 years now without any problems whatsoever. Only due to the 7200.11 bug last year I decided to go with WD RE3, following Carpetsmoker's recommendation. And they are nice and quiet and fast enough for my purposes.
Old 20th April 2010
Administrator

Nice guide on harddisks, Hard Disk Drive Reference Guide:
http://storagereview.com/hard_disk_d...eference_guide