DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2023
Fdisk Soldier

Question How do I setup the environment on Linux host for FreeBSD development?

I want to make a FreeBSD based operating system for educational purposes. What's the best way to do that? My biggest problem is that FreeBSD doesn't support ext4 and I'm not sure why but It won't mount ext2fs type file system (probably I made a mistake or something. It says that there is no such option, I can't fint ext2fs in the mount(8) manual at -t parameter). If I fixed this I could have FreeBSD environment running on qemu where I would build my code and then push the output image somehow to my host operating system and run another qemu instance from it (my host is Linux). What do you guys think of it?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2023
Port Guard

Hi. The best way to build FreeBSD, is on a FreeBSD host. The tools are all built in.

As far as messing with disk formats that are compatible across the OSes, I decided a long time ago to just let each system use their native formats, and connect/mount over the network to get things between systems, which is not perfect, but it beats keeping FAT32 usb sticks around.

I suppose some people will suggest ZFS as well, it is supported on Linux and FreeBSD. That is another layer of complication added though.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd October 2023
Port Guard

I realized not only will others disagree with my points of view on the situation that the original poster should approach and possibly even solve his problem. I'd strongly recommend that he OP invest in a second HDD or SDD if their computer has the ability to hold an extra HDD or solid sate drive. Then I'd also strongly recommend that the original poster install FreeBSD on the second hard-drive and use a Virtulazation environment like Virtual bok from Oracl or running your Linux instance in either Bhve instance on top of the Free Bsd installation.

Chip
EM:firedolphin8858@gmx.us
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd October 2023
Open Source Software user

Probably not what you want to hear - but I would run FreeBSD natively, on a dual boot, or another old/pre used computer - I think it would be easier in the long run.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd October 2023
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd-keith View Post
Probably not what you want to hear - but I would run FreeBSD natively, on a dual boot, or another old/pre used computer - I think it would be easier in the long run.
Taking your answer to the original poster question into account, I do as matter of fact think that you are directing the op down an easier path. Speaking from personal experience I can tell every one who has posted in this thread so far that I sure wish that i'd found daemonforums when I was struggling through learning FreeBSD back in my High School and College days.

Chip
EM:firedolphin8858@gmx.us