DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2008
Port Guard

Default fusefs-ntfs problem...

Hi!

I've installed fusefs-ntfs port today and it broke my FreeBSD 7.0 system. First it rebooted my system twice in attempt to install the port and then after I managed to install it and configuring it reading the /usr/local/share/doc/ntfs-3g/README.FreeBSD file and rebooting it could not mount /usr and it falls into single-user mode asking me to run fsck manually and so I did.

fsck prints tons of output asking me [RECONNECT], [CLEAR] some dirs, etc.. Now I'm without my FreeBSD system.

What could be the problem that it cannot mount /usr ?

Thanks!

EDIT1:
I've made a fresh minimal install on my system and after that tried to install the fusefs-ntfs port again and it crashed my system one more time

It printed some output about the crash, but I was not able to write down all of it, but this was the first line of the crash:
Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode

This was the error or something like that followed by some other lines of output.

Does anyone have experienced something like that?

EDIT2:
I've found this thread:
http://freebsd.monkey.org/freebsd-bu.../msg00550.html

It is supposed to fix the problem after I remove these options from my kernel, but in fact I don't even have these options in my custom kernel...
options DEBUG_LOCKS
options DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS

Problem remains...

Last edited by daemonFromHeaven; 10th September 2008 at 01:36 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2008
Port Guard

Any tips?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Firstly, A port will not reboot the system to install the port. The port may ask you to reboot in its pkg-message displayed at the end of an install, but it will not do a reboot. If a system reboots while building a port, you have memory (or other hardware) issues. Page faults in known-good code also point to hardware issues.

Get a copy of memtest-86+ and run it for a few hours. (24 hours is considered a reasonable test!)

Installing the fuse-ntfs port could not damage your system. A kernel panic while attempting to use it could, perhaps; The solution would be start the system in single-user mode (or boot from a live cd) and remove the fuse entry from /boot/loader.conf

But this sounds more like hardware than anything else.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th September 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbak
Firstly, A port will not reboot the system to install the port. The port may ask you to reboot in its pkg-message displayed at the end of an install, but it will not do a reboot. If a system reboots while building a port, you have memory (or other hardware) issues. Page faults in known-good code also point to hardware issues.
Yes it did reboot my system, showing some crash report like this fatal trap described here:
http://freebsd.monkey.org/freebsd-bu.../msg00094.html

I read the lists about this problem and should be fix when the kernel options I mentioned are removed, but I as said I don't have these options in my custom kernel.

I think it must be something with the kernel or with the fusefs-ntfs port...

EDIT:
Does anyone of you having a working fusefs-ntfs port compiled it with some extra options and/or have the above kernel options in your kernel config file?

Last edited by daemonFromHeaven; 11th September 2008 at 10:38 AM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th September 2008
Port Guard

Problem solved. I had to run make buildworld and make installworld to update my userland.

Tags
ntfs