DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other OS

Other OS Any other OS such as Microsoft Windows, BeOS, Plan9, Syllable, and whatnot.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2008
Shell Scout

Default Mounting FreeBSD Data on Windows

Hi,

just wanted to know (if you use any windows version and dual boot them with FreeBSD) which tools do you use if you want to mount your FreeBSD FS in windows?
e.g. you mount UFS2 on windows with " FFS File System Driver" or you have a special partition with ext2 you use to share data between your os.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2008
Spam Deminer

I think you have to have ext2 file system and after that you can see your data with some program like explorerfs

Last edited by mfaridi; 12th May 2008 at 08:45 AM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2008
Package Pilot

Ext2IFS will allow you to "mount" ext2 filesystems as if they were NTFS or FAT filesystems. Might be cool if you go the "ext2" way.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuck View Post
just wanted to know (if you use any windows version and dual boot them with FreeBSD) which tools do you use if you want to mount your FreeBSD FS in windows?
You can use these to mount UFS/FFS filesystem in windows:
http://ffsdrv.sourceforge.net/
http://ufs2tools.sourceforge.net/
http://ffs.szm.sk/en/index.html

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2008
Arp Constable

I've used the UFS/FFS things for windows before, good when you need access to files from a WinTell.

For *actual* sharing of data, as in read+write!!!

I use FAT32 partitions on dual-boots and the network via SMB/NFS/SSH for any serious data.

Laptop users advantage ;-)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th May 2008
Shell Scout

I use ext2 but i hate the (sometimes) huge amount of lost data if Windows gives me the BSOD...
I'm going to test the sharing on ufs.

Last edited by tuck; 28th May 2008 at 09:27 PM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I ditched windows in earnest back in October and floated around from *nix Distribution to *nix Distribution tryin every thing from Ubuntu to NetBSD and even Slackware, Until a couople of weeks ago when I settled down into Fedora 8 code named WearWolf then after acouple of wearwolf reinstalls i upgrade the last one ran int some problems with it and decide to preserve My data on /dev/sdb1 and do a fresh installation of Fedora 9 (sulphur).

My partitio tables are as follows

sda1 ext3 /boot

sda2 XFS / (works better than every prior instalation on etx2 or etx3 file systems for rot)

sda3 swap

sda4 extended (will be used to add Cento Os and possibly NetBSD or FreeBSD)

sdb1 /home ext3

Is it possible to boot the BSDS of of an extended partion, and use and mount an EXT3 file system as a home partition?
Windows = a 32 bit extensions to a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a four bit processor written by 2-bit monopolistic software company founded by a .3-bit Harvard Drop out, who can't stand one respectable bit of competition.
If I believe something to be immoral a will not keep quite and let my voice of annoyance be heard loud and clear.

Last edited by FloridaBSD; 18th May 2008 at 02:01 AM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th May 2008
Arp Constable

BSD needs a primary unless you really want to screw around and even then then it's not a sure thing.

Also is never much point is using any thing but freebsds file system for the / but mounting other stuff is fine.

REMEMBER: ext3 is mounted as ext2 on FreeBSD -- that means without journaling support.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
Shell Scout

http://ffsdrv.sourceforge.net/ -> Crashhhhhhhh
I stay with ext2/3
Old 29th May 2008
Package Pilot

I successfully used FFS File System Driver for Windows for a number of times to access my FreeBSD UFS2 partitions, not a single problem. It gave me a BSOD and a restart when I tried to mount the NetBSD partition though, never tried it after, might do it soon to check again.
Old 9th December 2008
VPN Cryptographer

What about the possibilities of a USB stick drive that is formatted in UFS/FFS? Can Windows see that partition when the USB stick is inserted? Third-Party programs are not useful when your trying to get data to a system that isn't your own.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
Old 13th February 2009
Package Pilot

If you can get away without mounting the data, just use WinSCP to copy it across.