DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th September 2010
New User

Default 6.1 RC upgrade

Hello,
in the new company I am working for I have an old FreeBSD 6.1 RC used as Reverse Proxy for OWA.
Can I upgrade to a newer Version, or should I reinstall it ?
I am concerned about security updates. Is there a way to keep the system up to date ?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th September 2010
Daemonology student

It is much easier and faster to just install the new version from scratch.

As for security updates...

If you want to keep the standard base system and GENERIC kernel, you can use freebsd-update(8) for doing binary updates.
It is as simple as a
# freebsd-update fetch
# freebsd-update install
every time there is a new patch. You can also automate the updates checking using cron (check the TIPS in the man page). Note that it will not do the update automatically. It will only notify you.

If you want to build a custom kernel, you will have to update the source (csup(1)), fetch/apply the patches and build the appropriate parts yourself.
Note that you can still use freebsd-update for the update itself, but you will (obviously) have to rebuild everything too since freebsd-update will only modify the "standard" parts.
Keep an eye on the SECURITY ADVISORIES on the main page (bottom-right corner). Every advisory contains all the instructions you must follow to apply the patch.

Finally, there is the handbook. Keep it handy. And read the part about upgrading/updating.
Of course, keeping the system up to date is one thing, but it will not be enough if your applications are bug-ridden. So, always keep your applications up to date too.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th September 2010
New User

Talking

Thanks a lot Beastie !