DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th December 2011
New User

Default Is OpenBSD secure by default from ssh users?

Say for instance I create a new user on a default install of OpenBSD, and the home directory for this user being /home/user/.

If the user ssh's in, how much restricted access does he have outside of his own home directory? Is there anything sensitive such as files with information I may not want this user viewing or altering? Is there a way I can restrict this user to viewing/modifying his own home directory only, and not being able to view/modify anything outside of it?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th December 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamrent View Post
If the user ssh's in, how much restricted access does he have outside of his own home directory? Is there anything sensitive such as files with information I may not want this user viewing or altering?
It appears you are confusing the role of SSH & the shell in which users utililze. If your goal is to restrict what directories users can move into, you may want to look at the -r switch to ksh(1).
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th December 2011
More noise than signal

One can also chroot individual users or groups of users, though this is almost only used with sftp-only users who are just using the account to upload/download files, and who do not need any shell access.

Any shell users who are chrooted would require complete virtual filesystem environments, including their own /dev, /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib ... and probably a few more file structures I've forgotten.

If you want to keep users' private information private, it is much simpler to restrict their $HOME directories to their own use, or restrict to a group use if managing groups of users who share information.