DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th February 2009
ISO Quartermaster

Default Buy/Sell/Free Hardware List

We don't have a formal buy/sell listing, so I hope this is OK here.

I am putting together a computer from the parts bin, and I am short a couple of pieces:

1) a U160 or U320 SCSI controller for a 33MHz, 64 bit PCI slot (*not* PCI-X). Something like an LSIU160 would be great!

2) an nVidia AGP graphics card. This is to replace a TNT Riva sample that failed in a box that I use every now and again. Pretty much anything from that era (ten years ago!) or more recent will work.

Please send responses by PM; we can continue by email.

Thanks!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th February 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Hey Doc,

I'm pretty sure I can help you out. I have an ELSA Gloria which is a Nvidia based AGP card, i think I still have it stored.

I have a few old pci SCSI card, let me check them.

I'll check today and let you know.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th February 2009
ISO Quartermaster

Thanks, Rod.

CarpetSmoker is kindly sending me a couple of AGP cards, so that is taken care of. I would appreciate it if you would see what SCSI cards you have. But please, 64 bits!
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd June 2009
Tcpdump Spy

I have a pentium III 800 and SPARCStation 5, they will either find a new home or go out with the trash.

Just shipping fees.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd June 2009
ISO Quartermaster

Thanks, CS, but I have a 500MH PIII (the *ahem* 98SE box) and an unused sparcstation 5 already.

Is there no school in your area that would appreciate a donation?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd June 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Is there no school in your area that would appreciate a donation?
haha, not these kinds of machines, only geeks use them
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd June 2009
Tcpdump Spy

I also have:
AMD K6II 300MHz (Or was it 350Mhz?)
Two MSX2 machines -- Not sure if they work though.

Right now I have a whole room full of computer stuff I almost never use ... I'm clearing it out ...
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd June 2009
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
Right now I have a whole room full of computer stuff I almost never use ... I'm clearing it out ...
You don't want to see my list...
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd June 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
You don't want to see my list...
Doc,

Could you please post your list as well as the prices you would like to get for things. In particular, I have interest in non-wintel hardware including things lake older VAX-ens, HP-Risk stations, newer SGI and SUN hardware.

Best,
Oko

P.S. I also propose that any person who is posting his/her list indicates if it is willing to ship the things and where. For instance, I have no problem shipping things anywhere on the North America continent but I would not ship things to Europe, Australia, or anywhere else.
Old 23rd June 2009
ISO Quartermaster

I've not thought about selling the non-Inel stuff, but I have a "Sun Ultra 1E+" clone (300MHz), a Ultra 5 (450MHz) an Ultra 60 (dual 450MHz) and a Tatung clone (parts machine for the Ultra 60; 360 MHz). All are SPRAC-based and pretty solid; I'd have to check on memory, but I think most are 512MB to 1GB. The 1E+ actually used to be the computation part of an MRI at a local hospital.

Are you interested?
Old 24th June 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
I've not thought about selling the non-Inel stuff, but I have a "Sun Ultra 1E+" clone (300MHz), a Ultra 5 (450MHz) an Ultra 60 (dual 450MHz) and a Tatung clone (parts machine for the Ultra 60; 360 MHz). All are SPRAC-based and pretty solid; I'd have to check on memory, but I think most are 512MB to 1GB. The 1E+ actually used to be the computation part of an MRI at a local hospital.

Are you interested?
Yes, in principle I am interested. I could get read of couple older PCs and replace them with SUN stations. Before I check with UPS for shipping (those things are heavy) can you tell me what are you asking for Ultra 60? How much for Ultra 5? You can PP if you feel more comfortable. I have couple SUN's keyboards, mouses, and 13w3 converters so I do not need them but if you are really looking to get a rid of them name the price maybe we can work out something.

Is that Tatung clone of Ultra 60? I have only seen Tatung clone of Ultra 10 and they are better than Ultra 10 made by SUN by a mile. By the way Ultra 10 would be one of SUN machines that I would never take even for free!

Cheers,
Oko

P.S. Doc how hard is to get reasonable priced Blade 1000 or even better Blade 1500 where you live? Most of those posted on Ebay are just way overpriced. By the way Blade 2000 is just re-branded Blade 1000 and Blade 2500 is just re-branded Blade 1500.

Do you still see on the University auction sales in California Blade 100 and 150? Those are now very reasonable on Ebay but they are tiny bit better made than Ultra 10 which is really PC with Sparc processor.
Old 24th June 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Anyone interested in Alphas

I have a AlphaServer 1000 (I think or 1200) that I never got around to doing anything with I last fired it up when FreeBSD 5.0 was released! I'd have to check it out to see how it's functioning. I'd prefer pick up in this has it's kind of heavy.

I lots of parts that I need to go through.
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Before I check with UPS for shipping (those things are heavy)...
They are indeed very heavy.
Quote:
You can PP if you feel more comfortable.
I will do that.
Quote:
Is that Tatung clone of Ultra 60?
Yes, it is. The fellow from whom I obtained these two (a hardware engineer at ATI/AMD) bought it to get the faster CPUs. Those were moved to the 60, and the slower ones to this Tatung. It is really a parts machine, which is pretty useful if you have to run old hardware.
Quote:
how hard is to get reasonable priced Blade 1000 or even better Blade 1500 where you live?
No idea, but have a look on Craig's list in the SF Bay area. One can often find good deals there; sometimes things are overpriced.
Quote:
Do you still see on the University auction sales in California Blade 100 and 150? Those are now very reasonable on Ebay but they are tiny bit better made than Ultra 10 which is really PC with Sparc processor.
I've not checked for a while. The Ultra 5 came from UC surplus; it has been fine.

Let me send you a PM with the details, but please give me a couple of days. I am in the midst of evaluating a ton of proposals for funding under the "stimulus" program, and the deadlines are looming.
Old 24th June 2009
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
how hard is to get reasonable priced Blade 1000 or even better Blade 1500 where you live? Most of those posted on Ebay are just way overpriced. By the way Blade 2000 is just re-branded Blade 1000 and Blade 2500 is just re-branded Blade 1500.
Locally there are a few Blade 100s, a Netra T1, a 450, a 3500 and a V480. I've no idea about the configurations. All but the V480 ($3K) are inexpensive.
Old 11th December 2009
./dev/null

Well, seems i just discovered this hardware list thingy, and dam do i have extra hardware people, im taking from cpus to PCI network cards to RAM to geez some is even on kijiji.

I will get a list of stuff that i have that is to go, maybe somebody is interested, if worse comes to worse maybe the OpenBSD guys pay for shipping to themselves ???
Banned

If anyone is willing to part with a laptop for $100 bucks that isn't too old, an i386 machine preferably, I'm working a new contract job in Atlanta that pays well, so if anyone has an older laptop, I'd buy it for $100 bucks from you. Brands I like are HP, IBM, and that's about all I can think of except Compaque.

I'll need it to run a version of OpenBSD since it's the only OS I ever use expect for Mac these days.

I already have a new HP Pavillion Laptop running OBSD46/amd64 tweaked pretty good, but in due time I'll really have OBSD kickin butt on this machine. I might have to write a long tutorial to help out some newbs.

But, if you do have an old i386 that'll work with OBSD, I'll dish out $100 for it. Of course I'd like to see a picture of it. I'm weird like that, I suppose.
Old 29th March 2010
Banned

I can buy what have you, prefer non x86 hardware to work with.
I'm in the Maryland EasternShore/Chesapeake areas.
tetro: I have an m275. Give me a bit to put up a picture.
Specs are: 256M Ram.
A 12G drive I cannibalized from a dead laptop.
Battery is pretty much shot and I don't have a spare one or a spare cord.
wait, never mind. Forget it.
Old 29th March 2010
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
1) a U160 or U320 SCSI controller for a 33MHz, 64 bit PCI slot (*not* PCI-X). Something like an LSIU160 would be great!
PCI-X controllers are compatible with PCI slots. A 64-bit PCI-X controller will work in a 64-bit PCI slot just fine, and will automatically clock down to 33 MHz. We've done this with network cards when transferring hardware to temp machines.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 29th March 2010
Banned

The moral of the story is PCI-X != PCI-E, right phoenix?
Old 30th March 2010
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
PCI-X controllers are compatible with PCI slots.
Man, is this old. It does depend on the voltages -- whether it can run on both 5V and 3.3V. Usually it does work, but there are exceptions.