DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > Feedback and Suggestions

Feedback and Suggestions We want to hear your thoughts and ideas!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2020
Port Guard

Lightbulb pop-up and/or email notification of zero-reply threads?

How about option to get instant/hourly/daily notification of zero-reply or unsolved threads after there are a certain number (like 25) unanswered? Some other (though larger) similar forums do this and it increases activity. Though I started in freshman college computer science (CS) with *BSD Unix, I mostly use newer (but strictly Unix-like) Free/Libre/Opensource Software (F/LS, OSS, FLOSS) operating systems (OS) these days (apart from some *BSD virtual private servers, VPS) but just have to repair a couple servers, setup one with KVM switch, at which point I can add another, and most will run a *BSD Unix... so I'd like to be able to get in habit of seeing what people ask and seeing what I can answer... even if I may not have done something much recently, maybe I will in coming weeks, or just seeing the topic will make one remember and be able to answer... some of us are on so many forums now we don't always check this one to see what we might be able to help with, but if we got a pop-up and/or notification email with summary, we might...

Last edited by dchmelik; 7th April 2020 at 07:05 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2020
More noise than signal

We're on an 11-year old version of vBulletin. While I'm not an admin, I recall that upgrade or migration have been previously considered and rejected due to effort and cost.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st August 2020
parrot

Well, there is the option to subscribe to any thread/topic you want, and it will send you e-mail notices,
http://daemonforums.org/subscription...n&folderid=all

I suppose one could subscribe to every forum/topic, but I am not sure I understand about the zero reply part, You can subscribe to a topic using the "thread tools" button.

I have not tried it, but I bet one could write a script that would link to any forum you want, browse it and ,send a e-mail notice or store the data on a local file, but I guess that is another topic, and for programming.