DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > Feedback and Suggestions

Feedback and Suggestions We want to hear your thoughts and ideas!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th February 2016
Rc.conf Instructor

Default Dragonfly subforum?

Plus separate section for DragonFly
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th February 2016
Spam Deminer

Multiple BSD logos:
Personally, I do not feel it is an issue worth worrying about, but it would not be harmful.

Adding a DragonFly section:
Might be a good idea. Perhaps it has been around long enough to deserve it own section?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th February 2016
Administrator

This thread has been separated from its parent:

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=9682

...because the topic of the original thread requested different icons for the individual *BSD sections, not adding a new Dragonfly subforum.

Different topics warrant their own threads.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th February 2016
Spam Deminer

As having installed (not used much so far...) dragonfly from approx July 2015, I'd like to see it right below the FreeBSD section, considering it (I have read ) uses the new synth repository management tool as does FreeBSD.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th February 2016
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
This thread has been separated from its parent:

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=9682

...because the topic of the original thread requested different icons for the individual *BSD sections, not adding a new Dragonfly subforum.

Different topics warrant their own threads.
Thanks. I am also long enough to remember that we went through DF separate section routine few years ago and that the proposal was declined. The times have changed and I think as little as it is DragonFly is the full rightful member of BSD family of OSs. I use it every day at home. Please see

#6   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th February 2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Thanks. I am also long enough to remember that we went through DF separate section routine few years ago and that the proposal was declined.
Creation was declined then because the amount of traffic specific to DragonFly was essentially zero. From what I see by searching the archives today, most mentions of DragonFly closely stem from comments such as "I can't seem to get support for device xyz in ijk BSD, so maybe I will try DragonFly..."

It does not appear that the data leading to the earlier decision has markedly changed.

I know that proponents for creating a new forum will go all Field of Dreams on us stating that (new) traffic will spontaneously appear once such a forum is created. However, the data does not particularly support this claim.

To date, the Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like forum has long been set up as a breeding ground for emerging members of the *BSD family. When we see sufficient traffic warranting separation, we will create a new forum.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th February 2016
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Creation was declined then because the amount of traffic specific to DragonFly was essentially zero. From what I see by searching the archives today, most mentions of DragonFly closely stem from comments such as "I can't seem to get support for device xyz in ijk BSD, so maybe I will try DragonFly..."

It does not appear that the data leading to the earlier decision has markedly changed.

I know that proponents for creating a new forum will go all Field of Dreams on us stating that (new) traffic will spontaneously appear once such a forum is created. However, the data does not particularly support this claim.

To date, the Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like forum has long been set up as a breeding ground for emerging members of the *BSD family. When we see sufficient traffic warranting separation, we will create a new forum.
Forum is yours and you can, of course. do whatever you please with it. However using your logic you could as well close NetBSD and FreeBSD sections. I have being a member of this forum since almost day zero and the number/quality of NetBSD posts have never warranted a separate section. Similarly after the creation of a separate FreeBSD forum the amount of FreeBSD traffic this forum receives is negligible.

DragonFly BSD is a rightful member of BSD ecosystem and my hope was that creating a separate section will foster curiosity for this OS among people who stumble onto this forum. The number of new/original and interesting technologies coming out of DragonFly camp is only second to OpenBSD IMHO and that certainly should be respected.

Last edited by Oko; 29th February 2016 at 04:49 AM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th February 2016
Tcpdump Spy

The current forum structure simply copies the old BSDForums one. Almost eight years have passed since then; and a number of things have changes; specifically, the amount of posts seems stable, but has dropped quite a bit than what we got at BSDForums or in the "early days" of this forum.

So, is it still useful to have four sections devoted to FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD? Or, for that matter, is it still useful to have FreeBSD listed first, since both OpenBSD and NetBSD forums get more posts?

I would say not, and that one forum per BSD family member is enough. And while we're at it, merging some of the other forums might also be a good idea...

Once the total number of forums has been reduced, adding one more forum for DragonFlyBSD is a smaller change than adding four...
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th February 2016
ISO Quartermaster

For those who weren't around---I think I've mentioned this before, but...

In the mid double oughts, there was a third party FreeBSD forum, that also dealt with the other BSDs. For various reasons, the owner was no longer maintaining it, and though a few people offered to take over, it never came to pass. Therefore, as it was becoming useless, Carpetsmoker began this forum. It was going to be the replacement for the old FreeBSD forum.

Then, FreeBSD.org decided to have their own forums. Due to that, most FreeBSD posts, and let's face it, it is, by far, the most used of the BSDs. wound up going there. This forum became more oriented towards the other BSDs. I may still post a FreeBSD question here from time to time, because I feel more comfortable here, having known many of the members, through forums and such, since the early double oughts, but generally, I guess I consider this primarily an OpenBSD forum.
Old 29th February 2016
Spam Deminer

Quote:

Its mention has markedly increased in the regular FreeBSD forums, usually alongside discussions of the HAMMER filesystem(s) vs ZFS vs UFS2 vs UFS that either were the topic of the thread or crept into the discussion. Indeed, HAMMER(2) was the reason I installed DragonflyBSD as I am not yet expert in Zfs, despite numerous threads
and howtos saved as .htm files, and have not the time to begin...

As such, a seperate DragonflyBSD subsection may lead to advances in Zfs and/or ufs2
and/or hammer(2) as more people (experts vs persons such as I) join in discussions
more readily than mailing lists. And any such advances could be ported from one
BSD to another.

Just a guess. Not much time here to post or install or... , so am sort of ambivalent.
Administrator

If we would see a couple of DragonflyBSD posts in the Guides section, perhaps that could make us reconsider
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
If we would see a couple of DragonflyBSD posts in the Guides section, perhaps that could make us reconsider
I like the idea a lot!