DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th November 2013
New User

Default OpenBSD ftpd FTP/TLS

I'm looking into setting up a "secure" FTP server, and feel like OpenBSD would be a good choice.

I've configured the core OpenBSD ftpd server and have set up a very workable process to manage file privileges and restrictions using login classes. However, I have not been able to find any information on how/if this can be set up using FTP over TLS, as some clients have legal requirements for over-the-wire encryption for certain data.

Obviously I could look at vsftpd, PureFTPD or use SFTP using OpenSSH, but I would frankly rather use the core as much as possible to minimize attack surface.

Thanks so much.

FK
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th November 2013
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome! I don't think this is possible with ftpd(8), though of course I could be wrong. I often am.

I believe that the OpenBSD Prroject would have a difference of opinion over what is considered core. OpenSSH is more than a tool that is included in the base with other applications, OpenSSH is an OpenBSD subproject. There are two versions of OpenSSH, a) the OpenSSH included with OpenBSD, and b) Portable OpenSSH, for use with other operating systems: other BSDs, Unix systems, Linux, etc.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th November 2013
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Hello, and welcome! I don't think this is possible with ftpd(8), though of course I could be wrong. I often am.
+1
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st November 2013
Administrator

Many programs can be run using SSL by the use of stunnel. Unfortunately ftp is not one of them. From http://www.stunnel.org/faq.html?extra=/stunnel.html

Quote:
FTP over stunnel does not work

Stunnel cannot be used for the FTP daemon because of the nature of the FTP protocol which utilizes multiple ports for data transfers. There are SSL aware FTP servers available.
So you would have to install vsftpd to use FTP over SSL/TLS. But if your clients are familiar with the FileZilla ftp client, you also could use SFTP (FTP over SSH)

As stated at https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Main_Page :
Quote:
FileZilla Client is a free, open source FTP client. It supports FTP, SFTP, and FTPS (FTP over SSL/TLS). The client is available under many platforms, binaries for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X are provided.