DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd May 2009
Just a computer user...

Default Good graphics card for FreeBSD?

If I am going to build a new computer to run FreeBSD what's a good graphics card for it?

Are there anything out there that have out of the box 3D support from FreeBSD/AMD64 for example? Like no installing external driver from ports...

Otherwise are there anything that at least have open source driver available for FreeBSD and works for AMD64?

Thanks.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd May 2009
Knuth's homeboy

Nvidia has worked well for me. Both the proprietary driver (only fbsd/x32) and the open-source 'nv' driver.
I can tell you what's "not" a good card for FBSD, that would be an ATI Radeon HD3650 which I have on one of my boxes.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd May 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnz View Post
If I am going to build a new computer to run FreeBSD what's a good graphics card for it?

Are there anything out there that have out of the box 3D support from FreeBSD/AMD64 for example? Like no installing external driver from ports...

Otherwise are there anything that at least have open source driver available for FreeBSD and works for AMD64?

Thanks.
Whatever OpenGL supports should work out of box on FreeBSD. That in practical terms means some older Radeon video cards like 9000 series.
Stay away from NVidia. I am not sure what is the level of desktop maturity of FreeBSD AMD port but last time I was checking i386 was still recommended for Desktop use.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd May 2009
Just a computer user...

Yes but if I am building a new box it is likely that it is going to have at least 4GB of RAM... 64-bit is just easier than trying to get a 32-bit OS to use PAE or whatever.

Besides I am currently using 64-bit on my Desktop anyway, I can live without Flash.

Thanks for the recommendation I will look into Radeon video cards, I am not going to play games on this box anyway just want some good solid 3D support, like simple Compiz Fusion effects... but I don't want to support vendors like nVida.

Last edited by Sunnz; 2nd May 2009 at 07:20 AM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd May 2009
Arp Constable

If you are going with the amd64 port, do not get a nvidia.

I would suggest digging up the newest oldest ATI card that meets your needs (Oko suggested looking at the Radeon 9000 series). You should also read the man page for the radeon driver; DRI support and things seems to have gotten better this past year.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2009
Just a computer user...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
I would suggest digging up the newest oldest ATI card that meets your needs (Oko suggested looking at the Radeon 9000 series). You should also read the man page for the radeon driver; DRI support and things seems to have gotten better this past year.
So like this page: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?q...ts&format=html

?

But that's "FreeBSD ports" man page, does that mean it doesn't come with X.org but something to be installed from ports?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2009
Spam Deminer

All radeons up to, and including, the x1950 support 3D acceleration on FreeBSD/amd64. Enough to run compiz, openarena, nexuiz, etc...

The linux_dri port does not work properly on amd64, so 3D linux apps will revert to accelerated indirect rendering.

The DRM code is in -STABLE... The 7.2 prereleases support it but FreeBSD 7.1 did not support anything newer than the x850. You will also need the latest Xorg from ports for anything newer than the x850.

Adam
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2009
Arp Constable

the driver comes in the x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati port; the modular X.Org installation in ports includes meta ports for xorg and for the drivers which usually sucks it up along with most standard drivers (default options).

(general note: I've been running RELENG_7)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2009
Administrator

Integrated Intel X3100 (mobile GM965) and 3100 (Q35) works great for me.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 3rd May 2009
UNIX lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
Integrated Intel X3100 (mobile GM965) and 3100 (Q35) works great for me.
Well at the moment it sucks for many people due the newest Intel driver (same problem btw. as in Linux).
Administrator

Then use older Intel driver version, why put newer one into ports while its not working (or works worse then the older one).

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
Old 4th May 2009
UNIX lover

Yeah 2.5something works like a charme. But Intel isn't the best anymore - however it sucks less ;-)
Administrator

A good example for portdowngrade ;p