DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2019
openbsd noob

Default I have questions about configuring my touchpad

Ok, so I installed openbsd a couple days ago. My laptop's touchpad works but doesn't have two-finger scrolling, and didn't have tap to click/select functionality.

Last night I switched to current flavor, and today I decided to tackle trying configure the touchpad.

I came across this post, which recommends configuring through synaptics and copying

/usr/X11R6/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf

to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf to make the actual changes:

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=10902

Then I found a different post about new defaults in X, and that the current flavor no longer will support synaptics, so the new way that is recommended is to use wsconsctl and wsmouse0:
http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabbl...-td332278.html

I was able to get tap to select working with the wsconsctl/wsmouse0 method but can't figure out how to get horizontal and vertical 2 finger scrolling working which is why I want to try configure with synaptics...

My questions are:
1. Which method should I use to configure my touchpad?
2. will anything bad happen if I configure with synaptics while using current? (seems easier than wsmouse0)
3. If I have to configure wsconsctl and wsmouse0, do I make the configurations in this file?
/usr/include/dev/wscons/wsconsio.h

Any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance. Please excuse me if they are dumb questions I have only been an openbsd user for a week or so.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2019
Too dumb for a smartphone

Hello, and welcome to daemonforums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrant View Post
3. If I have to configure wsconsctl and wsmouse0, do I make the configurations in this file?
/usr/include/dev/wscons/wsconsio.h
No, you would not change that file. wsconsio.h is part of the system source code, and would not be meant for user configuration. Even if you did change it, you'd have to re-build the whole system and re-install for any changes to take effect.

So, user configuration of wscons would be done by running wsconsctl(9). This can be done on the command line by root, as a way to have changes take effect and try them out. But, once you know what parameters you want to set or change, then that can be done automatically at boot time by placing the parameter assignments in the file /etc/wsconsctl.conf, where they will be executed by the boot scripts. This configuration file has its own man page that describes its syntax, etc., wsconsct.confl(5).

I don't have the competence/experience to answer the other parts of your question, other than to recommend a careful reading of wsmouse(4) as well.

BTW don't worry about nooby questions, that's part of what this forum is here for.

Last edited by IdOp; 17th July 2019 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Fixed oman link for wsconsctl.conf (".conf" had been omitted)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2019
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!

I happen to still use an old method, even though on -current.

I use synclient(1) to configure my trackpad and syndaemon(1) to disable the pad while typing. Both are run from my $HOME/.xsession file.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2019
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrant View Post
Then I found a different post about new defaults in X, and that the current flavor no longer will support synaptics, so the new way that is recommended is to use wsconsctl and wsmouse0
No, the post says that the new default is wsconsctl, synaptics can still be used in -current if you want.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2019
openbsd noob

Hi all, thanks for the feedback. I found this post that indicates that my touchpad (hardware) may not be supported:
https://www.mail-archive.com/misc@op...msg166632.html

From what I can tell, I have a fujitsu touchpad which shows "mouse.type=ps2" which indicates that it isn't supported.

Any suggested workarounds? Or am I out of luck?