DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th August 2012
Marveled user

Question gmake can't find tcl/tk

Hello everybody.

I'm trying to compile linuxCNC on Puffy.

But the gmake command give me :
Code:
In file included from emc/usr_intf/axis/extensions/_toglmodule.c:2:
./emc/usr_intf/axis/extensions/togl.c:66:4: error: #error Sorry Togl requires Tcl/Tk ver 8.0 or higher.
I've got the tcl8.4, tk8.4, tcl8.5 & tk8.5 packages installed.

With ./configure, I used the --with-tclConfig & --with-tkConfig options.

But what can I use with gmake ?

I tried
Code:
# export CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include $CFLAGS"
# export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib/tcl $LDFLAGS"
Also tried
Code:
# gmake -ltcl85 -ltk85 -libtcl -libtk
Sure it's a stupid thing, but I cannot point it.
Anybody got an idea ?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th August 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFrettchen View Post
I'm trying to compile linuxCNC on Puffy.

But the gmake command give me :
Code:
In file included from emc/usr_intf/axis/extensions/_toglmodule.c:2:
./emc/usr_intf/axis/extensions/togl.c:66:4: error: #error Sorry Togl requires Tcl/Tk ver 8.0 or higher.
Welcome!

In general, this site doesn't provide support for porting new (not already found in the ports tree...) applications to OpenBSD as the number of people who answer questions here is quite small, & porting can become very tedious. On occasion, a question may be asked in which a member has significant experience. We welcome such exchanges to take place.

However, porting can frequently be very details oriented, skills intensive, & time consuming. Managing expectations & leveraging skill sets can be difficult from both sides. Because of the magnitude of unknowns, we usually state upfront that this level of support is outside of what we can sustain.

If any member wishes to help you in your quest, they are encouraged to speak up.

Recognize that Linux uses a different filesystem structure, & the libraries available may not always be the same. Likewise, no information was provided as to what version of OpenBSD you are doing your work. You will likely need to dig into the code yourself to understand why the configuration files are not finding Tcl/Tk. My initial guess is because it may not be located in the same location as where it would be typically found on a Linux installation.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited by ocicat; 12th August 2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: clarity
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th August 2012
More noise than signal

I took a quick look through the mailing list archives (misc@, ports@) and found no mention of LinuxCNC or the previous project named EMC2). If you don't get any positive responses here, you might try the ports@ mailing list. However, a complete description of the problem will be expected there.

The Porter's Handbook (addendum to FAQ 15) might also be helpful to you, though it does not cover root cause analysis for compilation issues like these.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th August 2012
Marveled user

I found a solution.
I edited the file "./emc/usr_intf/axis/extensions/togl.c", and it seems that gmake is searching "tk8.4a3.h" instead of "tk.h".
So I tried a
Code:
# ln -s /usr/local/include/tk8.4/tk.h /usr/local/include/tk8.4/tk8.4a3.h
and that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Welcome!
(...)
Likewise, no information was provided as to what version of OpenBSD you are doing your work.
Thanks, and sorry, just forgot to indicate my OpenBSD 5.1.

Quote:
You will likely need to dig into the code yourself to understand why the configuration files are not finding Tcl/Tk. My initial guess is because it may not be located in the same location as where it would be typically found on a Linux installation.
Well, right, but it's possible to indicate a location with gmake, so that's not a problem, and it's the first thing I tried.

Quote:
Good luck in your quest.
Yeah, I'll need some : that was just one error, the job is not done

Thanks both of you.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th August 2012
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFrettchen View Post
I found a solution.
I edited the file "./emc/usr_intf/axis/extensions/togl.c", and it seems that gmake is searching "tk8.4a3.h" instead of "tk.h".
So I tried a
Code:
# ln -s /usr/local/include/tk8.4/tk.h /usr/local/include/tk8.4/tk8.4a3.h
and that's it.
Nasty and hackish, that. The full code around that line, looking at their git repository is the following:
Code:
#ifdef USE_LOCAL_TK_H
  #include "tk8.4a3.h"
#else
  #include <tk.h>
#endif
So I'm not going to look into how USE_LOCAL_TK_H gets defined, but I want to guess this is a specific version they (sometimes?) distribute along with their distribution. I'd think you'd want USE_LOCAL_TK_H to end up not defined. That ought to happen from running the configure script. Looking at http://git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=lin...9cd8a192fafcab there's nothing about how to disable this extension that's failing to build or to specify the include and library directories for Tcl/Tk. Perhaps if you run ./configure --help you'll see something.

Otherwise, the way to debug this build properly is to look at what the configure script did or failed to do. It happens that Makefiles on random software packages do not respect your CFLAGS and LDFLAGS (one of the many reasons why it's much nicer when someone does a port/package for us). Did you have them set before running configure? If there's nothing in configure's output about, blah blah blah,

Never mind that, just look in http://git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=lin...9cd8a192fafcab section 5. See the answer to your question there?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th August 2012
Marveled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
Nasty and hackish, that.
Of course, but I'm still looking for a better solution...

Quote:
The full code around that line, looking at their git repository is the following:
Code:
#ifdef USE_LOCAL_TK_H
  #include "tk8.4a3.h"
#else
  #include <tk.h>
#endif
I know, I already edited the code...

Quote:
Looking at (...)Perhaps if you run ./configure --help you'll see something.
I already made a research, the ./configure needed the location of Tcl/Tk :
Code:
./configure --with-tclConfig=<TclLocation> --with-tkConfig=<TkLocation>
Without that, ./configure can't finish his work.
So I though that was enough, but apparently not...

Quote:
Otherwise, the way to debug this build properly is to look at what the configure script did or failed to do...
Right, but it'll wait tomorrow, I don't have enough beer to do that now