DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th May 2008
New User

Question Sonata/MPD problems

I've installed the Sonata music client and am running into some problems. When I first installed it, I thought it would behave like any other media player and simply add files once I specified what directory my music is in (in this case its /media/Media/Music on another hard drive). When I found out this wasn't the case and that I would have to configure MPD manually, I googled and came across this site:

http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Install#Installing_with_Ports

Only thing I did different is I used PortManager to install instead of the standard "make install clean" command as it handles installing/upgrading all the dependencies (not to mention it shows you the percentage done). For the initial configuration I made all the files necessary (database, log, and error files) in my home directory and noted as such in the system wide mpd.conf file.

I ran this command:

Code:
/usr/local/bin/mpd --create-db /usr/local/etc/mpd.conf
and a bunch of text scrolled by that looked as if MPD was cataloging all of my music, but when I opened up Sonata there was nothing there and as such I am very confused. I really don't want to install any other media player as I'm afraid it will pull down a bunch of Gnome/KDE dependencies which would defeat the purpose of using XFCE in the first place. I'm pretty sure vermanden uses Sonata (or at least he was on one of the screenshots he posted on BSDforums) so I'm hoping he will have something to say.

Last edited by Magnetar; 9th May 2008 at 08:10 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Did you put this in your /etc/rc.conf

Code:
 musicpd_enable="YES"
This will start it on reboot.

This part is from memory...

I believe there should be a script /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mpd which should allow the deamon to start by issuing the command:

Code:
 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mpd start
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th May 2008
New User

No, I did not. I'll try that when I get back from work. Thanks!
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th May 2008
New User

It works!! Thanks so much!

The only thing that didn't work that I had to change was the command. It was "musicpd" instead of "mpd"; must have been changed in the new release.