DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2014
Ghost in the Shell

Post Which firmware file for intel wifi 5300 ?

Alright, I'm about to install OpenBSD on my Thinkpad laptop. It is critical I get the proper firmware, put onto external media, before I install OpenBSD because I currently only have one computer and my neighbor's wifi is my only connection to the internet so I can't just connect to the internet through a physical ethernet connection to download the files to test them out to see which one works or attempt to install the firmware via fw_update. I also don't have alot of space on my external media left to store them all.

The manpage for the iwn driver :

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.c...th=OpenBSD-5.5

Says this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpage
FILES
The driver needs at least version 5.6 of the following firmware files, which are loaded when an interface is brought up:

/etc/firmware/iwn-4965
/etc/firmware/iwn-5000
/etc/firmware/iwn-5150
/etc/firmware/iwn-1000
/etc/firmware/iwn-6000
/etc/firmware/iwn-6050
/etc/firmware/iwn-6005
/etc/firmware/iwn-6030
/etc/firmware/iwn-2030
/etc/firmware/iwn-2000
/etc/firmware/iwn-135
/etc/firmware/iwn-105

These firmware files are not free because Intel refuses to grant distribution rights without contractual obligations. As a result, even though OpenBSD includes the driver, the firmware files cannot be included and users have to download these files on their own.

A prepackaged version of the firmware can be installed using fw_update(1).
The manpage is confusing it makes it sound like I need all of those firmware files but common sense is telling me I only probably need one. It is also confusing because it has one specifically for the 5150 but not for the 5300; I have the 5300 (codenamed Shirley Peak 3x3) hardware. I'm guessing that the iwn-5000 firmware is generic enough to include support for the 5300 hardware but if I'm mistaken please tell me.

Last edited by Angevin; 29th October 2014 at 08:48 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2014
Ghost in the Shell

Oops, sorry, looks like I put this in the wrong section of the forum. The mods should feel free to move the original post to the appropriate part of the forum and to delete this post.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2014
More noise than signal

See http://firmware.openbsd.org -- you can navigate through the structure, find the files of interest, download and examine the contents of the various .tgz files there. After OpenBSD is installed, you can then run fw_update(1) and point to your tarball with the -p option.

Last edited by jggimi; 29th October 2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typo. always.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2014
Arp Constable

Just 2 comments.

If you wait 2 days you can install 5.6. 5.6 CD's have been shipped and historically OpenBSD releases are on time.

All the sysutils/firmware/iwn files are bundled into a single tarball.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th October 2014
Ghost in the Shell

I'm posting from my laptop running OpenBSD :

OpenBSD elite.my.domain 5.5 GENERIC.MP#315 amd64

The firmware ended up being a pain in the ass because I think the man page for iwn is newer than the kernel for 5.5 so it recommended the wrong firmware-- so I ended up with firmware that wouldn't load; I ended up having to walk to the library to download the right version of the firmware for 5.5 but everything is working now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep
ust 2 comments.

If you wait 2 days you can install 5.6. 5.6 CD's have been shipped and historically OpenBSD releases are on time.

All the sysutils/firmware/iwn files are bundled into a single tarball.

I had to get rid of slackware linux so I installed openbsd 5.5 . I just won't install that much stuff from ports and won't do too much tweaking etc.. so in a few days I will install 5.6.

Last edited by Angevin; 30th October 2014 at 11:46 PM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st October 2014
More noise than signal

Congrats!

Yes, you can re-install with 5.6. But if you wish, you could practice an upgrade to 5.6, and if you like the results, you can keep the upgrade and not re-install. The 5.5->5.6 Upgrade Guide will be published in a couple of days, but if you'd like a preview, here's the link. (There may be additional changes to the Guide prior to publication.)

Tags
driver, firmware, wifi