Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th January 2010
Package Pilot

Default Requesting a refund of an unused not wanted MS Windows license

Quote:
From: "Lenovoreplies" <lenovoreplies@thinkteamlenovo.com>

Thank you for contacting Lenovo, the makers of ThinkPad and Think Centre products.

As I understand you want to purchase a system without the operating system. You would like
to know the process to get the refund for the operating system. We apologize as we do not
sell systems without the operating system and once the order ships out we cannot take the
operating system back and cannot refund the amount. We apologize if any inconvenience
caused.

If you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at 866-42-THINK
(84465) option number 2. We will be happy to assist at that time.

Once again, thank you for contacting Lenovo.
Hmm...
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th January 2010
Administrator

Generally they all respond like that, but you have the RIGHT to get your money back if you do not accept Microsoft EULA, you just need to kick them hard in the but as long as you can, or even go to court, so you will get your money back.

Many people reported successful stories about getting back the Microsoft tax, check the Internet.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th January 2010
Daemonology student

Of course it's true. And Poul-Henning Kamp has recently sued them.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th January 2010
Tcpdump Spy

You will get 10-20USD back or something ... It is not a lot and not worth the effort IMO.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th January 2010
Banned

It does send the right message though, although I agree that it's probably not worth it.. in a financial sense.

There are other retailers that sell systems without a bundled operating system, and others may be willing to do such custom orders.. customers always right (..and all that jazz).

If you feel like generating enough publicity about it, you may end up getting contacted by someone willing to give you the refund.. so long as you communicate that you don't agree with the EULA and such.

Whatever makes you happy, you might be able to contact Microsoft directly for a refund.. granted I don't know the success rate.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th January 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
There are other retailers that sell systems without a bundled operating system, and others may be willing to do such custom orders.. customers always right (..and all that jazz).
So tell me which laptop/vendor is also making laptops with keyboard layout like in Dell Latitude or IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad (not counting very old HP series) with classic [INS/DEL] [HOME/END] [PGUP/PGDN] keys layout on top-right instead of randomly dropped keys on the right side?

Example good:

Example bad:

I do not buy new laptops, so I do not have that problem, but if I would, I would definitely call them, just to show them that I am not interested in bundled system, the more people will call and show this to them, the bigger chance, that they will do something with it.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th January 2010
Package Pilot

Is the full retail price of Windows included in the final pricing? If so, am I allowed to resell it on eBay for the price it's worth? (Like $200.00 USD for Windows 7 Home)
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th January 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarscn View Post
Is the full retail price of Windows included in the final pricing?
Manufacturers are not paying retail price to Microsoft. The price they pay is negotiated upfront in their contract. Consequently, manufacturers aren't charging customers for the full retail price either.
Quote:
If so, am I allowed to resell it on eBay for the price it's worth? (Like $200.00 USD for Windows 7 Home)
Not legally. With the purchase of new systems, most manufacturers have clauses in their documentation stating that the version of Windows sold with their system cannot be resold.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th January 2010
Arp Constable

and like wise to be bound to that computer.

I've still a useless license for Windows XP Home, that would be handy if it wasn't for my vendors legal mumbo jumbo.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 26th January 2010
Administrator

A freeBSD developer has sued Lenovo in Denmark for a refund of the Microsoft Tax. See http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/08/...-Microsoft-Tax
More noise than signal

I, too, have a couple of non-transferable WXP licenses laying around.
Old 29th January 2010
Banned

There is a Wikipedia article about this, should you feel inclined to pursue compensation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_refund

Tags
microsoft os license refund