DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
Shell Scout

Default Using jgimi's LiveDVD for install

Planning to download and burn the gnome-dvd version and would like to know if I can use that for install?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
More noise than signal

Nope. Not only is that not the intent, but ....
Install requires the installation scripts, which are part of the RAMDISK kernels. None of those are included.

Install requires the file sets (base, etc, ...). None of those are included.

Install requires the GENERIC kernel, and the user may want the optional GENERIC.MP kernel. Neither are included.
To include that stuff would add approximately 230 MB to every image.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
More noise than signal

I know, I know, you'd like to install the Live ISO as it is configured, with the pre-installed packages. You really meant .... "Would it be possible to write a script that would partition a hard drive, format partition(s), copy files from the ISO image onto the partition(s), run installboot(8), edit /etc/fstab, and lay down a GENERIC kernel?"

Yes.

Will I?

No. See the very first question in the FAQ for details of the intent of these ISO images.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
Shell Scout

Ok it was worth a try. But great job on this project which will hopefully get more curious users to give OpenBSD a try.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
More noise than signal

Thanks. I hope so, too.

I have considered adding this capability. I did not dismiss it out-of-hand. Here's a summary:

Technical considerations:
Managing existing MBR partitions
Managing multiboot environments
Partitioning decision making
This would require a "fork" of OpenBSD. Since it would not be a standard installation, the OpenBSD Project would rightly not support any users. So I have policy considerations, too:
How do I keep questions off the OpenBSD mailing lists?
How would I do the same for IRC, Usenet, and forums like this one?
How would one poor schmo possibly support production users when he has a career and a life?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Spam Deminer

jggimi thanks a lot for your job.

I have two questions:
What is the reason that you have not been able to include versions equipped with gnome and kde in a single cd?

I have trouble to startx graphical or console interface into virtualbox.
In pratice the process of execution it's stop.
I find difficult to follow the mailing list.
Could you answer in the forum?

Last edited by aleunix; 29th May 2008 at 06:10 AM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleunix View Post
...What is the reason that you have not been able to include versions equipped with gnome and kde in a single cd?...
You are actually the first person to ask this question, so I'd not considered combining window managers before:
  1. These two LiveDVD images you are asking about are already very large, each already too large to fit on a CD. They may already be a burden for many people to download, regardless which compression technology they use. Combining GUIs would only make this a heavier burden on people who have limited bandwidth or who pay for Internet service by the byte or packet.
  2. All but the "basic" images have .xsession/.xinitrc files for root and user. I would either have to switch from XDM to GDM/KDM to allow a user to choose a window manager, or, I would have to set up manual scripting. I'm uninterested in doing either, unless there are requests to do so from many users.
  3. Because KDE and Gnome have so much stuff included, both of these images have so many files in their filesystem they exceeded the capability of cdboot(8) to boot them directly. I had to implement a fairly complex work around for these two ISO images. I do not know if my circumvention would be possible if I doubled the number of files in these already oversaturated ISO images.
  4. The various ISOs I offer were never intended to be used for window manager selection. Rather, they were intended for those coming from other Unix or Unix-like workstation operating systems who might want to try OpenBSD as a workstation, and allow them to see how OpenBSD operations using a GUI they were already familiar with.
  5. Why just combine KDE and Gnome? What about the other window managers I've configured? Shouldn't I cram them all into a single ISO? Wait .... wait .... OpenBSD has more than 40 different window managers. I could create an image that has them all! Of course, then it would be a LiveHardDrive. (Just kidding. )
Quote:
...I have trouble to startx graphical or console interface into virtualbox. In pratice the process of execution it's stop...
You are unable to run in [C]onsole mode? I've never heard of that happening, though I suppose that Sun's Virtualbox may just have trouble with OpenBSD. I recommend you try a different virtual machine: I've had great luck with Qemu. Avoid the kqemu accelerator if your Host OS is Windows. Using the default video will give you a limited resolution of 800x600, if you use qemu with the -std-vga option, you'll get a larger resolution. 1600x1200, if I remember correctly.
Quote:
...I find difficult to follow the mailing list...
You should be able to subscribe by sending a "subscribe" e-mail to the userid "livecd-request" at my domain. If that is failing, please let me know what kind of bounce message you are getting. You can send me your e-mail address via Private Message here and I can manually subscribe you, if necessary.

Last edited by jggimi; 29th May 2008 at 12:04 PM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Sorry i wanted to say gnome or kde.
It's incredible it is sufficient as a single wrong letter to overturn a speech.
Sorry for my english.

When I say that I do not like to follow the mailing list that I intend that i use only the browser and web-mail never use email client so is not linear follow the discussions that take place over time of day on various topics.

However, i will try to register the same.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
More noise than signal

The reason that Gnome or KDE cannot fit on a single CD is that they are over 1GB in size, and CD media are pretty much limited to 700MB images.
Old 29th May 2008
Spam Deminer

In Ubuntu or Debian is sufficient one Cd to have gnome or kde so it would be possible.
Old 29th May 2008
More noise than signal

They use compressed file systems.

OpenBSD does not have a compressed file system. I have no interest in writing one.

My LiveCDs/LiveDVDs ISOs are all CD9660 file systems. In the case of Gnome and KDE, due to the number of files involved, there are nested CD9660 file systems used with vnode disks in order to circumvent the limitations of the CD9660 boot loader. MFS file systems are used for /etc, /var, /home, /root, and /dev.

None of these are compressed. Note: The OpenBSD ramdisk kernel, bsd.rd, used for installation and limited rescue, takes advantage of a facility called "crunch". Crunch is used to creates a single executable file out of many individual binaries. This can provide some space savings for executables only. For booting bsd.rd from a variety of limited-space media (such as 1.4MB diskettes), this has advantages. This is not the same thing as a compressed file system and would not provide significant value in this situation.
Old 29th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Thanks for the answer.