DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd June 2008
New User

Default BSD sizes

I would like to mess around with several BSD flavors. I can spare only 2~2.5 G harddrive space on my laptop for experimentation.

I looked thru the BIG 3 sites but was only able to determine that OpenBSD can be installed, very minimally, in roughly 700~750 M. What about Free or NetBSD? Or any other for that matter.

Is it possible to learn about BSD on such a small system? I only would like to use a small browser and a fluxbox-or-less wm. Any encouragement or suggestions...or am I whistling up my butt?

Any responses appreciated. Thanks.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd June 2008
Administrator

It will be possible with all FreeBSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD.

For FreeBSD it will be Custom install and select these:
Code:
base [x]
kernels --> GENERIC [x]
man [x]
xorg [x]
then pkg_add -r fluxbox and you are done.

If you have such small space, then you may create just one big / filesystem.

You may also rebuild FreeBSD base system with custom NO_*= yes options in /etc/src.conf to make it even smaller, but that would require additional 400mb space for /usr/src tree and a place for just built base system in /usr/obj with about additional 200mb.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero View Post
I looked thru the BIG 3 sites but was only able to determine that OpenBSD can be installed, very minimally, in roughly 700~750 M.
Correct. See Section 4.7 of OpenBSD's FAQ:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Partitioning
Quote:
What about Free or NetBSD?
For NetBSD, see Section 2.2.4 of The NetBSD Guide:

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/...e-requirements

If you have ample RAM (1GB+), I would suggest not installing swap space for any of the *BSD's. If you have 512MB or less, you could experiment with what happens when no swap is configured...
Quote:
Any encouragement or suggestions...or am I whistling up my butt?
If you have an external (USB) drive, you could move /home to it freeing space for /usr as this is where applications will be installed.

You can also experiment with moving /tmp to memory which will free up more disk space.

In addition on OpenBSD, the following may give you other ideas about what other tricks can be used. Although each references OpenBSD 3.7, I employ most techniques on a 4GB Eee PC running OpenBSD 4.3-current with no problems:

http://www.kaschwig.net/projects/openbsd/wrap/
http://blog.innerewut.de/2005/05/14/openbsd-3-7-on-wrap
http://blog.innerewut.de/2005/5/19/o...n-wrap-revised

These articles refer to installing OpenBSD on (resource challenged...) Soekris appliances which are popular as firewalls.

Last edited by ocicat; 22nd June 2008 at 01:25 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd June 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
I looked through the BIG 3 sites but was only able to determine that OpenBSD can be installed, very minimally, in roughly 700~750 M. What about Free or NetBSD? Or any other for that matter.
I used to run NetBSD (3.0 I think, not sure) on my SPARCStation, which had, IIRC a 1GB hard disk...

FreeBSD doesn't take up that much space either, my server (Where quite a few ports are installed) only uses ~800-900MB, and I guess you can trim that down to ~500-600MB if you wanted...
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd June 2008
Arp Constable

If you do use a /home on an external media (USB stick, drive, etc) make sure to use a file system each system can read and write to.

Somehow I doubt that Free, Net, and OpenBSDs ffs/ufs implementations are 'close enough' to be mountable read write without issues, at least as far as Free and Net/OpenBSD are concerned.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd June 2008
Spam Deminer

I have a OpenBSD full install (with X) on a thumdrive.
Plus
# ls /mnt/var/db/pkg
gettext-0.16.1 libiconv-1.12 pcre-7.6 zip-2.32
glib2-2.16.1 mc-4.6.1p1 unzip-5.52p0

df gives
/dev/sd0a 2065116 1691876 269988 86% /mnt

fully rw as usual on any sort of drive.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd June 2008
Too dumb for a smartphone

I installed NetBSD 4.0, and OpenBSD 4.3, each on a 2.7 GB partition recently. Lots of space left over. Mind you, I'm not planning to compile kernels anytime soon.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd June 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Hello,

For NetBSD - a nearly full installation (all distribution sets but X - that is: Kernel; Base; System (/etc); Compiler Tools; Games; Online Manual Pages; Miscellaneous; Text Processing Tools) takes up 250MB. Adding pkgsrc adds another 408MB. Various packages take up their space.

My total system (with packages such as - tcsh; vim; mutt; mc; perl; php; python; vorbis-tools; etc.) is 842MB. I could delete pkgsrc (I don't need to get any more packages at this time) and get it down to 434MB.

Hope this helps.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd June 2008
Knuth's homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero View Post
Is it possible to learn about BSD on such a small system? I only would like to use a small browser and a fluxbox-or-less wm.
Sure.
*BSD with a simple wm, a few terminal windows, a browser (and a few other essential apps) is all you will ever need to learn *nix.
Old 27th June 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
My total system (with packages such as - tcsh; vim; mutt; mc; perl; php; python; vorbis-tools; etc.) is 842MB. I could delete pkgsrc (I don't need to get any more packages at this time) and get it down to 434MB.
Or just use binary instead of source packages and there is no need for full pkgsrc if space is a deal.

FreeBSD has a tool called misc/porteasy, I don't know if other have similar tools for installing ports (source packages that is) without actually getting the ports tree?
Old 27th June 2008
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0xxx
FreeBSD has a tool called misc/porteasy
Good tip -- first time I have heard of it. Note that it has moved to ports-mgmt/porteasy.
Rc.conf Instructor

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0xxx View Post
Or just use binary instead of source packages and there is no need for full pkgsrc if space is a deal.

FreeBSD has a tool called misc/porteasy, I don't know if other have similar tools for installing ports (source packages that is) without actually getting the ports tree?
Well I think that the binary package is definitely the way to go since If he
does not have space to install ports structure he definitely has no space to install compilers, building tools, and to compile the thing. People usually forget that the building process produces lots of junk which they clean at the end. For instance when I build 10-20 ports at once on OpenBSD the junk might be a couple of GB. So it is a BIG deal. If there is no package for particular port he should build it on another machine and use it as repo. That can be done on all four BSDs.

Best,
OKO

Last edited by Oko; 27th June 2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 27th June 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
...he definitely has no space to install compilers, building tools...
Dunno what BSD you use, but on FreeBSD this stuff is in the base install. IIRC in NetBSD (and likely OpenBSD due to it's heritage as a NetBSD child) the compiler set was optional. But at least for FreeBSD, you get the compilers in the base system.
Knuth's homeboy

the freebsd source code can be deselected at the time of installation. but there's generally no good reason not to install it.
i find it very useful that the source code for the _whole_ system is readily available (/usr/src and /usr/ports/*).
Old 27th June 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomie View Post
Good tip -- first time I have heard of it. Note that it has moved to ports-mgmt/porteasy.
Gee, thanx. I used it once on a server that didn't make it into production... I first heard of it here (nice reference): http://www.nycbug.org/files/20050623...s_tutorial.pdf

Nice tool when you can't get the whole ports tree, or need a few ports and don't want to get the whole ports tree.
Other option is to build port with options needed somewhere else, make a package and transfer it to machine, pretty much like Oko said.

If you are planning on moving /tmp to RAM I recommend tmpfs in stead of mfs (it is in NetBSD and ported to FreeBSD).
Old 27th June 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Hello,

Speaking of BSD in small situations, I wonder how well something like this or this would work with *BSD?
Old 27th June 2008
Package Pilot

Well, you can ask this guy who claims to run NetBSD on it.

http://daemonforums.org/showpost.php?p=7983&postcount=7
Old 27th June 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0xxx View Post
Well, you can ask this guy who claims to run NetBSD on it.

http://daemonforums.org/showpost.php?p=7983&postcount=7
I saw that post right after I posted here. I PM'd him about how they do.
Old 27th June 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunman4life View Post
Dunno what BSD you use, but on FreeBSD this stuff is in the base install. IIRC in NetBSD (and likely OpenBSD due to it's heritage as a NetBSD child) the compiler set was optional. But at least for FreeBSD, you get the compilers in the base system.
I use OpenBSD which I mentioned in my message. You could also conclude that from my avatar. During the OpenBSD installation one may select not to install compilers i.e. compXX.tgz

Kind Regards,
OKO

P. S. It is quite easy to strip down FreeBSD to bare bones. You have a tool called
NanoBSD in the base which will enable you to create small image of FreeBSD for embedded devices. Michael Lucas have gone over that tool quite a bit
in his book Absolute FreeBSD. I think that you can strip down FreeBSD to less than 16 maybe even 8 MB. I also know for the fact that it is possible to strip OpenBSD to fit in a size of the floppy disk 1.44MB and still have most network tools and PF. Something like this guy did http://www.freebsd.nfo.sk/opbsd/openbsdeng.htm

Last edited by Oko; 27th June 2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 2nd July 2008
Package Pilot

Possibly not related to "shrinking BSD" but to resurrect the thread a bit, if you want to compile ports and DON'T want to get the ports tree OR install porteasy (which will handle the dependencies port skeletons as well) you could do it "the manual way" using cvs that comes with the base, as explained in this hack in BSD Hacks book:

Build a Port Without the Ports Tree