DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2008
Package Pilot

Smile i Miss You BSD but i been seeing Solaris

Hi

i been using Solaris alot recently especially the 2008.11 version

i Find at times it feels just too slow.
There are also times that i have experienced crashes.

Also if i kill a program (running process) using the
GUI method that forces a misbehaving program to close.
i find it is still in the running processes.
and i have to close it from there.

With Nvidia there had been A few times when i changed my screen resolution from 1280 X 1024 to back to 1025 X 760.
My screen would turn black andi would wait a few seconds for a prompt asking me if i am sure i want to keep that settting.
i never did see that prompt, So i had to reboot the machine. like i use to do with windows.except with the power off or reset since i was unable to even escape into another Virtual terminal like in BSD
Then that setting woud take effect with no problem

The reason i am using Solaris also is i have 2 UFS drives i had created in Solaris and i can not write to them unless i am using Solaris.

i had no problem mounting them in UFS Explorer from windows and not sure if i can mount them in BSD but if i can im sure it would be read only.

I MIss BSD because it moved much faster and it was rock solid like they say.

i did have fun building things from scratch
even though at times i still feel like a novice and i tend to
forget some things i use to know.i still have Notes from all my old question and answers as welll as old BSD Books i not sure them books will do me much good now since so many things changed alot.

Also if i do install BSD im wondering which Nvidia driver to use
for my Geoforce FX5500 woud it be the legacy driver or not.

Also i want to install my usual Second Life Chat program
and i know that is always a pain to to finally get going since it needs certain linux libs.and has to be tweaked ad tinkered with

ok im not crazy abot KDE4 eitehr yet and i do understad to
get back to classic mode i just right click the KDE Menu button unlock widgets and chosoe classic mode.

i might even stay with Gnome as i been using in Solairis or have both.

I miss you BSD and i guess im in love with you both
and there are times when you dissapoint me Solaris.

i will have to think this over lol

it does all boil down to my UFS Drives really.

i can not move the data off them theres at least 1 Terra bytes between them both.so im not sure if i can mount them read only or read and write from BSD or not

Anyways thanks for listening

#2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2008
Administrator

@heatherval

I also have been trying OpenSolaris 2008.11 for some longer period of time then usual. It looks like it (OpenSolaris) likes to wait for something as long as it can, and when it cant get that (sometimes after several retries) says the error.

Its even at very basic level, check how much it takes to start plain xterm on OpenSolaris (its currently submited as a bug) with that command: % time xterm -e exit

On my Core 2 Duo 2GHz laptop with 2GB RAM it takes about 10 seconds.

I will propably dig into something like MilaX, a small base to start working with, the same as FreeBSD custom instalation with base + GENERIC kernel, fortunetly OpenSolaris provides whole framework for creating such thing, its in SUNWdistro-const package (yes also avialable thru IPS repositories).

I aslo strongly suggest adding some REAL repositories to play with OpenSolaris, where you can get fluxbox for example:
Code:
# pkg set-authority -O http://blastwave.network.com:10000 blastwave.network.com
# pkg set-authority -O http://pkg.sunfreeware.com:9000 pkg.sunfreeware.com
# pkg set-authority -O http://pkg.lifewithsolaris.jp:10000 pkg.lifewithsolaris.jp
# pkg refresh
Things that I like about OpenSolaris are that my box will not hang when I remove the USB pendrive without unmounting it, also my WiFi Intel 3945 card works flawlessly on OpenSolaris, which I can get working even on FreeBSD 8-CURRENT to use WPA-PSK encryption. FreeBSD also does not offer any fast full virtualization sollution, on OpenSolaris I have great VirtualBox and xVM (which is Xen 3.1 avtually).

I am also awaiting NetBSD 5.0 to play with Xen 3.3 and NetBSD a little, seems good alternative for FreeBSD if you want virtualization.

I remember my beginnings with FreeBSD and they were hard, but after some period of time it gone better, maybe it will be the same with OpenSolaris?

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2008
Package Pilot

Default hi

Thanks for te reply
yea that did take a long time to start

oh speaking of unmounting USB flash for example,
for me sometimes but only on a rare occasion if i unmounted it.
the icon woud still sit there on desktop and the window
felt like it just hung.

MIlax yea i was reading about that too earlier this morning. somewehre on google.

As far Fluxbox ewwww! thats a bit over my head and i like to customize things and that seemed a litttle tricky for me.

i have heard that is is the java that makes Solaris so Slow
maybe to correct the problem ill install KDE and use that
lol just kidding.as much as i like KDE .

Keep me posted as which you like better i always took you for a BSD Fan most of all

i do miss the Speed of BSD alot but my darn UFS Drives id like to be able to write to from there.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherval View Post
i have heard that is is the java that makes Solaris so Slow
maybe to correct the problem ill install KDE and use that
lol just kidding.as much as i like KDE .
Yes, JAVA always slowed down everything, including Slowaris

If you would like to check KDE @ Solaris, then check this one: http://solaris.kde.org

But I havent tried that, dunno if it works and so, but BeleniX OpenSolaris distribution offers KDE desktop, maybe that would be better to start playing with.

Quote:
Keep me posted as which you like better i always took you for a BSD Fan most of all
I like both FreeBSD and OpenSolaris and I am aware of both strong and weak points, I only regret that such great work of so many great developers cannot be merged into something that is a medley of these two and create best possible UNIX currently avialable, but I must be dreamer to think that way unfortunelly ...

Thanks for kind words Heather, I appreciate it.

Quote:
i do miss the Speed of BSD alot but my darn UFS Drives id like to be able to write to from there.
I also miss that in OpenSolaris sometimes, but I will be working on it, disabling unneded SMF services and so, maybe I will find something similar to FreeBSD base system minimal instalation or something close to that.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2008
Package Pilot

Smile hi

Your quite welcome Vermaden

As for Belenix i tried that once and i was not too
pleased by the way thir kde start menu looked
with all them grids on it.

It also felt too simple to install lol.

i read somewhere but i lost the link.
YOU need to edit a particular file on Solaris 2008.11
so that Solairis only uses 48 megs of ram and does not hog it all up to help with the speed.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2008
Administrator

Quote:
i read somewhere but i lost the link.
YOU need to edit a particular file on Solaris 2008.11
so that Solairis only uses 48 megs of ram and does not hog it all up to help with the speed.
If you recall which file/option it was, then share it please

#7   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2008
Package Pilot

i had stopped playing with the repositories ever since they made that change at blastwave with pkg-get and have not followed up on it at this time which i should do.
one of the links were dead at the time.

i would like to put KDE back up here again anyways.

I aslo strongly suggest adding some REAL repositories to play with OpenSolaris, where you can get fluxbox for example:
Code:
# pkg set-authority -O http://blastwave.network.com:10000 blastwave.network.com
# pkg set-authority -O http://pkg.sunfreeware.com:9000 pkg.sunfreeware.com
# pkg set-authority -O http://pkg.lifewithsolaris.jp:10000 pkg.lifewithsolaris.jp
# pkg refresh
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st December 2008
Arp Constable

Quote:
Also if i do install BSD im wondering which Nvidia driver to use
for my Geoforce FX5500 woud it be the legacy driver or not.
You would need an older build, checking on the nVidia website would probably yield a list of what driver version supports what cards; I would expect x11/nvidia-driver-71xx in FreeBSD ports to work, but don't quote me.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd January 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
You would need an older build, checking on the nVidia website would probably yield a list of what driver version supports what cards; I would expect x11/nvidia-driver-71xx in FreeBSD ports to work, but don't quote me.
according to nvidia, the FX 5 series uses the 173.xx driver currently. Should be in ports x11/nvidia-driver-173
Old 2nd January 2009
ISO Quartermaster

That's right: use 173-14.xx, same as on Solaris. That's what I use on a card of comparable vintage with FreeBSD, and it works well. Only on 32 bit, though.
Old 3rd January 2009
Spam Deminer

I've given my FreeBSD box a server roll these days. It's probably the best roll for the box in terms of usability and pragmatism. The MacBook Pro and iMac serve my desktop purposes very well while not taking away the Unix experience. Plus, any of the development and learning I do on FreeBSD I generally have been doing via SSH and X forwarding lately.