DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

Old 14th February 2014
Administrator

As Opera is dead now there is also Otter - an open source recreation of Opera from scratch: http://otter-browser.org

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 14th February 2014
dat guy

... using the bloatware engine WebKit, so there's not much improvement here. :-/
Old 14th February 2014
got root?

This is a nice little Python-based browser. Someone with more skills than I could probably get it going in OpenBSD:

http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?title=Roaster
https://github.com/DebianJoe/roaster
Old 14th February 2014
OpenBSD language porter

I don't think that'll satisfy the asker: quick glance at the .py has 'import webkit'.
Old 14th February 2014
dat guy

Just to make things clear: I made the experience that WebKit is not really a fast component. My "platform-independent" main browser is Firefox, so I already have a "full-featured" product for that; on my rather weak and old-ish experimental OpenBSD machine it takes a couple of seconds to fully "boot up" though, so I'm just looking for a second browser for fast lookups, still having Firefox for a fallback.
Old 14th February 2014
got root?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
I don't think that'll satisfy the asker: quick glance at the .py has 'import webkit'.
I thought that after I posted. Even with webkit, it's still rather zippy. Launches and loads pages fast.
Old 14th February 2014
got root?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl View Post
Just to make things clear: I made the experience that WebKit is not really a fast component. My "platform-independent" main browser is Firefox, so I already have a "full-featured" product for that; on my rather weak and old-ish experimental OpenBSD machine it takes a couple of seconds to fully "boot up" though, so I'm just looking for a second browser for fast lookups, still having Firefox for a fallback.
I'm in the same boat, Firefox is the main, I use w3m for text-only mode. I can't seem to find anything satisfactory for lightweight graphical browsing, although both Dillo and Netsurf come close. Midori is not an option, also webkit, and very crashy, I my experience.
Old 14th February 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
As the person who maintains the Dillo port on OpenBSD, I can tell you that I track upstream very closely and I try to get updates into the tree asap. If someone has a problem with Dillo on OpenBSD, you should get in contact with me.
I played with Dillo before Dillo2 and unfortunately I needed something that had CSS support and JavaScript support. I remember that port was well maintained. Unfortunately I also remember that upstream was a one man who could not add features fast enough even if he worked full time on Dillo.

Quote:
With that said...

I really like NetSurf. They're only starting their HTML5 work but I use it as my primary browser on my OpenBSD/loongson machines and it's a pleasure to work with. Unfortunately, it suffers from some graphical endian bugs so you can only use it on little endian machines. I find it a much better experience over Dillo. It's also a really great project for someone looking to do some dev work. All you need is some C knowledge.

(This post made from an OpenBSD/loongson machine running NetSurf. The forums look great.)
+1

Unfortunately IIRC JavaScript support was hit and miss if available at all so I have given up and went back to Opera at that time.

Last edited by Oko; 15th February 2014 at 01:43 AM.
Old 14th February 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
As Opera is dead now there is also Otter - an open source recreation of Opera from scratch: http://otter-browser.org

What made Opera unique browser was Presto engine. Unfortunately the engine has never been open sourced to my knowledge. GUI is just that BS GUI. Once official Opera switched to WebKit (Blink or whatever is the latest crap out of Google kitchen) it was dead on the spot.

I removed Opera the very same day not just from my computers but from my mobile devices as well. Unfortunately I had to settle for evil WebKit as my main web engine but at least I use

www/xombrero
Old 14th February 2014
dat guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I removed Opera the very same day not just from my computers but from my mobile devices as well.
To be fair, on Android there's not much difference. Opera (without "Mobile" or "Mini") v15-or-so (edit: wow, 19 already) still renders as well as previous versions, Off-Road Mode works like a charm.
Old 15th February 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Unfortunately IRC JavaScript support was hit and miss if available at all so I have up and went back to Opera at that time.
Fuller JavaScript is (hopefully) upcoming in the next version (via spidermonkey though they are considering the duktape js engine) and they're looking into GSoC for a pair of students, one of whom they want working on their HTML5 parser.

Of course, that doesn't help anyone today. But I'm fond of reminding people that they should be the change they want to see
Old 15th February 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Fuller JavaScript is (hopefully) upcoming in the next version (via spidermonkey though they are considering the duktape js engine) and they're looking into GSoC for a pair of students, one of whom they want working on their HTML5 parser.

Of course, that doesn't help anyone today. But I'm fond of reminding people that they should be the change they want to see
That is good info!!! I am looking forward to 4.0 IIRC which will have honest to God GSoC. I could see NetSurf easily becoming my default browser.
Old 15th February 2014
dat guy

Indeed, sounds promising. And while the students are at it, what about a better GUI (like Dillo's)?

(I love how it "looks and feels" in awesome on fullscreen mode. This might be just my personal taste though.)
Old 15th February 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl View Post
what about a better GUI (like Dillo's)?
From http://www.netsurf-browser.org/documentation/progress

Themes (GTK) In progress

I'm sure they'd be thrilled to have you finish it.
Old 15th February 2014
dat guy

"GTK Themes" sounds like "moar GUI! moar buttons! moar colorz!" - quite the opposite of what I'm interested in ... :-/
Old 15th February 2014
Spam Deminer

Well, here with Opera, I can 'images off > images on' per-page, see and choose numerically the zoom level [or with the plus/minus keys], have 50 tabs open and read them sequentially with no slowdown usually... etc. The 'save page' dialog surpasses others I've used... the list goes on and on. Still wondering why noone could make a port of the present-day Opera and when it goes away, have it still be available to persons using FreeBSD, for instance.... maybe even with its own chroot, with all the required legacy libraries, to run more securely within; although probably without music, gstreamer, videos, etc.
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_daefo View Post
Still wondering why noone could make a port of the present-day Opera and when it goes away, have it still be available to persons using FreeBSD, for instance.... maybe even with its own chroot, with all the required legacy libraries, to run more securely within; although probably without music, gstreamer, videos, etc.
Dude. That is illegal We are Unix lovers here not criminals
Old 16th February 2014
ISO Quartermaster

After reading this thread, I've been playing with xombrero today. I really like it. Still getting used to it a bit, but after changing a few dafaults to make it a bit more of what I'm used to, (focus on address bar with ctl+l, move between tabs with ctl+tab), I'm really liking it. Haven't been able to get it to compile on CentOS-6.5, my main machine at home, but at work, with a FreeBSD workstation, I think it's going to become my main browser. I suspect a couple of my co-workers will like the open links with keyboard aspect too.
Old 16th February 2014
Arp Constable

@scottro

Xombrero is a neat interface to the Webkit rendering engine. Webkit is currently transitioning from gtk2 to gtk3 and Xombrero can be compiled to use either interface. I would recommend use use the most stable interface in CentOS 6.5 and odds are that it is gtk2.
Old 16th February 2014
ISO Quartermaster

Thanks much for the advice, but it's probably a bit beyond my abilities. I was able to get it working on Fedora easily enough. The things that _I_ really like about it though, are the keyboard shortcuts. The main machine is powerful enough so that I'm not going to notice much performance, and doing some more googling, I found that I can get the keyboard shortcuts in firefox with vimperator and in chromium with vrome.

It's really nice to be able to go page up and page down with j and k, as well as the whole links thing without a mouse. (I did install webkitgtk-devel in CentOS, which, from the description, is using gtk2, but still had no luck.)

Again--for _my_ needs, on this particular CentOS machine, I am satisfied with using the two extensions I mentioned, mostly because I'm old and boring with so little to hide. Though the makefile seems to indicate it can work with gtk2, the first errors indicate that it can't find gtk3.

EDIT--just to add in case I missed something obvious, I tred with GTK_VERSION=gtk2 make and also export GTK_VERSION=gtk2 but it still starts off with errors about gtk+-3.0 was not found.