DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th April 2018
Port Guard

Default Memory File Systems

Hello,

Jggmi, I was hoping to get some more information on one of your setups you allude to in
http://daemonforums.org/showthread.p...ight=mount_mfs

I would like to create memory file systems for several areas. Some custom directories, but specifically /root/.cpan and /var/www/htdocs

Also any areas involved in building packages. I'm hoping to create startup scripts that will populate these areas with cached copies elsewhere. With rsync I think I can sync the web folder every 5 minutes and be just fine. The CPAN environment much less often, and only during upgrades I think.

I'm spending about an hour or so creating servers, and so much of it is initialization in CPAN and subsequent installing of Perl modules. On top of that I have an awful lot of work being done in the web folder, and having it in memory will be a real boost to performance.

That's my use case. I'm hoping you can advise me on your setup since it sounds like what I'm looking for.

Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th April 2018
More noise than signal

You're asking for my setup from a 10-year-old thread.

I no longer use MFS filesystems, as I no-longer have any use-cases for them. But 10 years ago, I was still creating live optical media images on CD9660 filesystems, and I used MFS for /root, /var, /home, and /tmp, which each required R/W functionality. The live media used a modified rc(8) script to manage booting with a R/O /tmp directory, and I used an rc.local(8) script to create and populate the MFS filesystem images.

I never used MFS for caching of flash storage. By the time I implemented flash media systems on small routers, wear-leveling technologies had made R/O flash drives unnecessary and both functionally and operationally obsolete.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th April 2018
More noise than signal

I re-read that old, out-of-date guide -- it discussed a workaround for the MAXDSIZ limitation of the i386 architecture at that time. It's 3GB these days on i386, and 32GB on the now-far-more-ubiquitous amd64 architecture.

And the workaround discussed -- ccd(4) -- was long-obsolete and removed from the OS after release 4.9.

Be wary of out-of-date HOWTOs.

Tags
openbsd memory-file-system