DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2018
Fdisk Soldier

Default Remove ssh private prompt

Hello,
I use OpenBSD with xfce and xenodm(1). After login in, I am prompted with a popup that asks for my ssh private key passphrase.

How can I remove this from happening?
I am willing to enter my passphrase but only when I use ssh, very seldom. Not at every xenodm login.
Also, I don't want ssh to remember my passphrase. That would be a dirty workaround.

Thank you
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2018
More noise than signal

ssh-agent(1) is called by /etc/X11/xenodm/Xsession if the user has private keys defined.

See xenodm(1) for configuration file provisioning.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2018
Fdisk Soldier

I was looking for a way to disable ssh-agent at the user level (through ~/.xession maybe) but I can't find how to that while reading man pages of xenodm or ssh-agent.

What I can do is remove the stored keys with ssh -D ~/.ssh/mykey but that work until I reuse my key.
Or I could edit /etc/X11/xenodm/Xsession and remove the ssh-agent part.
Are those my solutions ?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2018
More noise than signal

I would avoid modifying any standard configuration files, to avoid the possible loss of local changes through an upgrade.

Start xenodm with a local configuration file, pointing to a local DisplayManager*session script.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th April 2018
Fdisk Soldier

Solved!

I create a copy of /etc/X11/xenodm/Xsession in which I commented the lines concerning ssh-agent (25-38).
I put my custom file in /etc/X11/xenodm/ and named it Xsession.local
Then edited /etc/X11/xenodm/xenodm-config to add my config file path and comment the orginal path.

2 questions:
- xenodm-config is read-only (444 root:bin), so I had to run a chmod before editing it and re-chmod it to its originals permissions. Is that normal ? Why is this specific file read-only ?
- I choose to put my own conf file in the same directory as the original, appending the .local suffix to mimic the rc.conf and rc.conf.local pattern. Is it a good approach ?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th April 2018
More noise than signal

Q1 - I don't know the reason for the file's settings. It could be as-packaged by X.org, or could be as-packaged in Xenocara.
Q2 - Yes, that's what I would have done.

---

I use xenodm and ssh-agent, so don't mind entering my passphrase at the prompt. If there are situations where I won't be using it, such as off-network, I press the Escape key to close the window.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th April 2018
Fdisk Soldier

I use ssh like maybe once a year mostly for experiment.
My current ssh setup as been motivated by the need to remotely maintaining my father's computer (running Debian) in case of a failure.
I am not expecting much trouble and if something goes wrong, I am not sure any internet connexion will be possible anyway.

So being tired of pressing ESC every day, I decided to disable ssh-agent.
I know ... there is quite a contradiction using OpenBSD (home of OpenSSH) and disabling ssh-agent
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th April 2018
More noise than signal

I use ssh daily, so handing my passphrase to ssh-agent is my most common login.

There is always the option of using startx or xinit instead of xenodm.