DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th April 2018
New User

Default Gnome keeps logging me out - screen res?

I recently put OpenBSD 6.3 on an old Dell Optiplez GX620 (4G memory) with a ViewSonic LCD screen. There were no problems with the install or in basic Xenodm mode. Gnome does not work, however. I can log in , but when I run an app or place the cursor in Terminal, Gnome goes black, probably crashes and then takes me back to the login screen (meaning, I assume, that is it has restarted. I believe there is a conflict over screen resolution or refresh rate between the computer and monitor. Despite over a dozen attempts, I cannot change the screen res from the settings utility inside Gnome; that’s one of the things that causes a crash. When I viewed /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old, there were multiple Modelines that seemed to list every resolution I tried, usually with two or more refresh rates. At the end it said:

160.241] (II) intel(0): resizing framebuffer to 1600x1200
160.241] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1600x1200@60.0 on VGA using
pipe 0, position (0, 0), rotation normal, reflection none

1600x1200 is the resolution that OpenBSD set when I installed Gnome, and it’s the one that keeps crashing.

When I try to change the screen res from within Gnome, I get a list of possible resolutions, but when I pick one, the screen flickers black and when it comes back, the Displays tab is grayed out and will not let me change off of 1600x1200. When I run Firefox, or try to put a cursor in Terminal, it crashes again.
Is there a configuration file where I can set the Gnome screen res using nano in CLI mode? Where in the directory structure is it?
Also, is my real problem that I’m using a cheap old LCD monitor and need to buy a new one?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th April 2018
Marveled user

Hello and welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
I installed Gnome, and it’s the one that keeps crashing.
How did you install Gnome ?
Did you follow a third-party how-to or the guidance included with the Gnome package from OpenBSD ?

Oh, and it may be useful to copy/paste here your dsmeg dmesg.

Last edited by LeFrettchen; 18th April 2018 at 11:17 PM. Reason: a new command is born : dsmeg ! :)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th April 2018
Arp Constable

Gnome3 needs 3D acelleration; ati/radeon or intel. Rather than your monitor, it is more likely to be your video card.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th April 2018
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
...it is more likely to be your video card.
Agreed. According to Techwalla, on this workstation, "The included on-board video is either an Intel Graphic Media Accelerator 950 or a PCI Express x16 graphics card. "

The graphics card on this particular workstation might not be 3D-capable, and therefore, not usable with Gnome 3.

A dmesg(8), and the output from /var/log/Xorg.0.log should both be very helpful.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th April 2018
New User

Since I can’t get a working browser on this machine, I can’t cut and paste the dmesg results However, I have found something else wrong that I believe explains a lot. Although POST assures me that four gigs of memory are installed, I find that only two are active. One band of DIMMs is not reliable. On inspection, I see a small crack in the green plastic. Next month I’ll get a memory fix and go back to the job.I anticipate your responses will be very useful then. Especially because I’ll go with something less resource-hungry than Gnome. Many thanks.

Tags
gnome