DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd May 2013
New User

Default FreeBSD monitoring tool

Hi,

we made a first public release of the FreeBSD monitoring solution (it's cross-platform, but we consider FreeBSD as one of our primary platform) and I'm looking for those, who interested to give it a try and come back with the feedback. You're only required to register and install the monitoring part on your server - FreeBSD 7.* and higher (which is just 1-2 minutes - depending on how fast you are) and provide your feedback (as much as you'd like).

We looking to build a proper, useful full coverage monitoring solution for FreeBSD and need your feedback. Those who interested - please, let me know or, if the moderator will allow, I drop the link here.

Kind regards,
Alexander.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd May 2013
New User

Ok, from what I was told, I can post the link as well: http://10bees.com

Please, let me know on your feedback - it's very important and highly appreciated - here or using the contacts on the site, whatever works better for you.

Thanks.

Last edited by J65nko; 23rd May 2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Turn URL into proper link
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd May 2013
Administrator

Please note that the install of these monitoring tools comes in the form of a FreeBSD package. Right now I don't have the opportunity to check whether this package has been verified/approved by a FreeBSD ports committer.

From pkg_add(1):
Code:
WARNING
     Since the pkg_add command may execute scripts or programs contained
     within a package file, your system may be susceptible to ``trojan
     horses'' or other subtle attacks from miscreants who create dangerous
     package files.

You are advised to verify the competence and identity of those who pro-
     vide installable package files.  For extra protection, use the -M flag to
     extract the package file, and inspect its contents and scripts to ensure
     it poses no danger to your system's integrity.  Pay particular attention
     to any +INSTALL, +POST-INSTALL, +DEINSTALL, +POST-DEINSTALL, +REQUIRE or
     +MTREE_DIRS files, and inspect the +CONTENTS file for @cwd, @mode (check
     for setuid), @dirrm, @exec, and @unexec directives, and/or use the
     pkg_info(1) command to examine the package file.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th May 2013
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
Please note that the install of these monitoring tools comes in the form of a FreeBSD package. Right now I don't have the opportunity to check whether this package has been verified/approved by a FreeBSD ports committer.
Yeah, that's right - we build a package to ensure it's fast and easy to be installed.
We do have a port as well, which is used to make a package and I hope it will be accepted by a FreeBSD team - any help here will be appreciated.

Regarding the security - you can verify what the package will be doing by using a

Code:
pkg_add --dry-run 10bees.tbz
command option - it will show all of the actions to be performed.

If any comments or other details required - just let me know, I'm happy to clarify!
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd May 2014
New User

Hi,

just to bring an update – we relaunched the service a while ago and recently rolled out an updated version with most of the concerns addressed.
You can find the details in our blog (blog.10bees.com), created to keep our customers up to date with the major updates and changes.

The platform is matured and if you are looking for a FreeBSD hosted monitoring solution - please, give it a try and drop us an e-mail if anything we can do for you.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd May 2014
Tcpdump Spy

This means I can't access your website:

Code:
                function checkVersion(e, redirect){
                    var browser = getBrowserLine(),
                        name = browser[0],
                        version = parseInt(browser[1].substring(0, browser[1].indexOf('.')), 10);
                        if( (name == "Chrome" && version > 19 ) || (name == "Firefox" && version > 16 ) || (name == "Safari" && version > 5 ) || (name == "MSIE" && version > 9 ) ){
                            if(!redirect) location.href = "/dashboard/";
                        } else if(location.href.indexOf('browsers') < 0){
                            location.href = "/browsers/";
                        }

};
Please, stop doing this kind of nonsense. We all decided it was a bad idea back in 1999.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd May 2014
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
This means I can't access your website:

Code:
                function checkVersion(e, redirect){
                    var browser = getBrowserLine(),
                        name = browser[0],
                        version = parseInt(browser[1].substring(0, browser[1].indexOf('.')), 10);
                        if( (name == "Chrome" && version > 19 ) || (name == "Firefox" && version > 16 ) || (name == "Safari" && version > 5 ) || (name == "MSIE" && version > 9 ) ){
                            if(!redirect) location.href = "/dashboard/";
                        } else if(location.href.indexOf('browsers') < 0){
                            location.href = "/browsers/";
                        }

};
Please, stop doing this kind of nonsense. We all decided it was a bad idea back in 1999.
Hi,

I see your point.

The primary goal for doing this is to make sure that the dashboard (quite a JS & CSS intensive page) will be delivered in a proper way, and we decided to join a 37signals approach (signalvnoise.com/posts/3097-developing-for-old-browsers-is-almost-a-thing-of-the-past).

Let us address this - what is the browser you are using? I'm guessing it could be some non-standard WebKit wrapper?
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd May 2014
Tcpdump Spy

I use Opera 12, the latest version available for Linux (which is still supported). Not that this really matters, since no browser other than IE/Firefox/Chrome/Safari will work...

IMHO It's always best to assume the user's browser will work, unless you have a good reason to think otherwise, for example you know a version has a specific bug, or a certain feature is missing (it's often easy to detect this). so blacklist, rather than whitelist.
Even then, it may just be a good idea to just display a warning, and let the user continue. *Maybe*, the user knows what he/she is doing, or just *maybe*, you detection script is broken, or *maybe* something changes in browsers, etc...
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd May 2014
New User

Makes perfect sense. I'm registering this as an improvement suggestion on your behalf via our support system; if you send me your mail via personal messages, I will associate this with you and you will be personally notified on the progress.