DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Guides

Guides All Guides and HOWTO's.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2008
Uber Geek

Default HOWTO: Synergy - Network KVM

Synergy is a really good way to share a keyboard and mouse ( not video ) between two or more machines. Be it BSD, Linux, Windows or OS X.

The synergy application requires a server to be running on the machine in which the keyboard and mouse are physically connected. The client application then runs on all the client machines ( go figure :P ). The two applications that are required are synergys ( server ) and synergc ( client ),

You need to configure synergy in such a way that a client is to the 'right' or 'left' of the server. If you have a client on the right then a movement of the mouse to the right side of the server machine will continue onto the left side of the client's screen.

There is a config file that needs to created on the server ~/.synergy.conf which needs to stipulate where the clients are and their name ( this should be resolvable through DNS or /etc/hosts ).

The following is my config file which has 3 machines on it:
Bankai - my mac which is to the RIGHT of the server
DOZE - windows machine to the LEFT of the server
Shikai - the synergy server

Quote:
section: screens
bankai:
shikai:
doze:
end
section: links
bankai:
left=shikai
shikai:
right=bankai
left=doze
doze:
left=shikai.bsdhome.net
end

The synergy client ( synergyc ) , if running from command line needs to be given the IP ( or resolvable name ) of the server.
Code:
# synergc 192.168.0.1

Forum Netiquette
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2008
Risen from the ashes

Ah, Synergy, what a wonderful tool. I use it at work to connect my Debian box to my Windows XP box. The Debian box has 2 monitors, so I have three monitors on my desk.

It's a lot of fun to mess with people as they walk by. Grab a maximised window on one monitor, move it to the other monitor, then start typing in a window on the XP box.

Throw in xmove, and you can really blow Windows people's minds, as you "throw" applications from one X11 system to another X11 system across the network. Someday, I'd like to set up an X11 server on my Windows box, and then whip up a way to "drag" a window from the Debian box to the Windows box.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.